Just back from Grand Turk!

odaisydukeo

Hi everyone,

Thought I would share my experiences in GT last Friday. I really had no information to go on , except for CC, so I thought that I might come back and give you the info!

I was on Costa Magica, and we were the only ship in port that day. Because I didn't have alot of info, my mom (60 yrs) and I (30 yrs) decided to book the horse and carriage ride.

When you get off the ship, there is a long dock, and you can see beautiful white sand beach on either side. You are immediately bombarded by t-shirt shops and jewellry stores. I must say, they were quite reasonable, and we took some time to look through them. Don't buy any shell stuff, I'll get to that later.

There were many excursion people waiting. We found ours, and waited. There is no where to buy a drink, like water or soda, unless you go to Margaritaville which is quite loud and crowded right away, so take something to drink off the ship.

We were driven in a van to the beginning of Duke Street. This would be an IDEAL place to take a $5 taxi. Duke Street is a one way street that runs right along the ocean. You can see great views, hotels like the Salt Raker, and Turks Head Mansion, as well as a few restaurants and bars like the Sandbar and Water's Edge. It's very quaint, and in the shade. You could stop and swim or snorkel along here, it is like a deserted beach! Duke Street leads you to "downtown", which is basically a church, an old prison and a bank. There are a few craft vendors outside. Not alot to see. All of the stores are makeshift ones that people have opened in the front of their houses.

The horse and carriage ride was expensive ($45) and you are on a carriage with about 10 people. (we thought it would be private!). However, it was really great, because we got to see alot of Cockburn Town. It was covered and shaded. We stopped for 15 minutes in the town, to look at crafts or go in the prison museum. One thing-- if you have people that speak different languages, there will be more than one guide. The people who run it were very helpful and friendly. We lucked out by getting a Native 17-year old boy as our guide. We asked him tons of questions, and he pointed out alot of great things.

I did see people renting bikes...that might be fun too, but if you don't know where you are going...could be dicey navigating the dirt roads.

On our way back we stopped at the Water's Edge restaurant. It was really nice. The food was ok, a bit pricey, but the view was worth it. Cab is $5 back to the port.

We went to find the "conch graveyard". If you are standing on the dock looking at the ship, walk left on the boardwalk until you hit the sand. If you walk along the beach, you will see a few...keep going! You will then find approx 200 conch shells of different sizes and varieties. We carried them back on the ship and rinsed them out, straight into the suitcase! No smell or anything.

I loved Grand Turk for its awesome views and very simple lifestyle. Some of the houses were quite primitive and alot of buildings had not been finished. The scenery is breathtaking!

Any questions, please ask. I have photos to post. I will let you know when they are ready!

i didn't hear anyone on our cruise taking it. I did read on here that it wasn't worth the money. I think the reason might be that the taxis are governed and they can only charge you a set amount. There are taxis everywhere willing to take you where you want to go. I believe the issue with the "hop on" bus was that you had to wait for longer than anticipated.

Thanks for your review and great pictures!

Can you tell me what beach you were at where that little shack called "The Sandbar" was? Looks like a beach bar to me, maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Your pictures are great!

I did the horse / carriage in 9/06. It has changed a little bit. . . the horses were right at the pier to pick us up and had to really work hard pulling the carriage all the way to Cockburn Town and back. I was worried about them because they really got lathered up. The idea of having a van take you into town is probably much easier on the horses.

I agree it is a great way to see Grand Turk!

Suzy

• 1 year later...

We went to find the "conch graveyard". If you are standing on the dock looking at the ship, walk left on the boardwalk until you hit the sand. If you walk along the beach, you will see a few...keep going! You will then find approx 200 conch shells of different sizes and varieties.

thanks for this great tip,, i would love to find a beautiful conch shell!! they remind me of my grandma, she loved them!

Great tip on conch shells! Making a note to self.

While coming back from Stingray City in GC the captain stopped and one of the crew dove down and came up with about 12 live conchs. He cleaned them right there and gave the shells to whoever wanted one.

• 2 months later...
Great tip on conch shells! Making a note to self.

While coming back from Stingray City in GC the captain stopped and one of the crew dove down and came up with about 12 live conchs. He cleaned them right there and gave the shells to whoever wanted one.

See that you are going on the Crown Princess. I wrote a review in the Member Review section on 3/08 "Just Off Crown - Spectacular" pmp223. Please read it. I loved this ship so much nothing has prior to or after has compared. Just off the Enchantment of the Seas, RCCL not even close to the experience we had on the Crown. If you see Antonio in the dining room, Head Waiter, please tell him Paul from Boston said hello and was wondering how Las Vegas turned out. If he is and you can get him as your head waiter, you will be able to order what ever you want in the dining room and they will make it -- no questions asked. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. email us and let us know how it was. pmp223@comast.net:) :) :)

Paul,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the Crown. We are looking forward to it. We are signed up for anytime dining, but if we run into Antonio we pass along your message. We will let you know how things go.

Although we like RCI, we did not care too much for the Enchantment. We experienced more than usual vibration on the ship.

Ron

Hi BeBes Girl:)

I had never heard we were not allowed to bring the Conch shells home. I have brought them home from Grand Cayman and Nassau & beaches. Hope I didn't break any rules.

Susan

As long as GC & the Bahamas havent enacted local restrictions, you were OK.

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/animals/conch_permissible_countries.html

http://www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/pdf/queen_conch.pdf

Hi BeBes Girl:)

I had never heard we were not allowed to bring the Conch shells home. I have brought them home from Grand Cayman and Nassau & beaches. Hope I didn't break any rules.

Susan

I think the islands are trying to preserve the ecology and beauty of the land and sea and are passing laws against taking anything out of the sea to take with you including shells.

The OP mentioned that she saw the "conch graveyard" and took several. Can you imagine with the number of cruise ship visitors that if even a few visitors took shells how it would decimate the numbers and the beauty they bring? Also, it is my understanding which I will admit is limited, that there are sea creatures who specifically use old shells left by other sea creatures, so this is the cycle of life of the sea. If they shell are all taken for free souvenirs, think of the total impact.

I don't know if that included anything washed up onto the shore.

Anyone have any more recent info?

I think the islands are trying to preserve the ecology and beauty of the land and sea and are passing laws against taking anything out of the sea to take with you including shells.

I'm enclined to agree with you. However, that would include all kinds of shell fish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, etc. If commercial fishing is allowed then I doubt they're concerned that individuals would have much impact. Unless of course certain species are endangered. It is my understanding is that conch shells are legal to remove. In the Bahamas you can get conch soup and fritters at any restaurant.

I'm enclined to agree with you. However, that would include all kinds of shell fish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, etc. If commercial fishing is allowed then I doubt they're concerned that individuals would have much impact. Unless of course certain species are endangered. It is my understanding is that conch shells are legal to remove. In the Bahamas you can get conch soup and fritters at any restaurant.

Whether couch shells are legal to remove may vary from island. I know that is is illegal to take any type of shell from the water in Cozumel.

I agree that it comes down to respect. If they ask that shells or what ever should not be removed, then we need to respect that. Doesn't matter whether we agree or disagree. I don't know for sure what the laws are in Grand Turk, but I know they are very serious about this in Cozumel.

Archived