What's going on with the Passport situation???

Criscomia

:mad: There is a group of us going on the Valor on May 6th and one of the girls in the group applied for her passport the 1st week in January.......and still no passport. The internet address she checks to see where her passport is keeps saying next week and then when she checks the following week, it says for the next week. When she applied she had to give them her original birth certificate.......now she has nothing.........any suggestions?????????

Hello...for everyone that is trying to find out what is going on with the passports letit be known that they are 8,000 people behind. They are working from 8-12mindnight. I applied for my passport in January and didn't receive it until last week. If I would not have called the and stay on hold for 65 minutes (not joking) It would have been delieverd while i was on my cruise. (Your best bet is to call them and stay on hold press 1 then 3 then if u here the lady saying they are busy press 9 and 3 again just keep doing that until you hear the lady say that they will take your call shortly) I finally got though gave them my CC number and receied my passport that week that I called. Hope this helps

Hello...for everyone that is trying to find out what is going on with the passports letit be known that they are 8,000 people behind. They are working from 8-12mindnight. I applied for my passport in January and didn't receive it until last week. If I would not have called the and stay on hold for 65 minutes (not joking) It would have been delieverd while i was on my cruise. (Your best bet is to call them and stay on hold press 1 then 3 then if u here the lady saying they are busy press 9 and 3 again just keep doing that until you hear the lady say that they will take your call shortly) I finally got though gave them my CC number and receied my passport that week that I called. Hope this helps

What is the cc number???????????? And thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

smalltowngrll.............thank you........but her's keep getting pushed back weekly. Back in the 1st week in January, they said 8 weeks. When she went to check a couple weeks ago she was supposed to have it the following week, then last week it said this week, and she just checked and it said next week. Yikeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...passport is NOT currently required, so that person will need to get another official copy of the birth certificate and be good to go...

Another one....say it isn't so.:eek: :D

This issue keeps coming up and many people including myself keep trying to instill into people that IF they are planning on using a passport to cruise in the next couple of months, they need to pay the extra money to get it faster. Many people say they want the passport but don't want to spend the money but then many of our friends haven't listened, sent it off regular and are still waiting with no passport, no original birth certificate. However, I recently (within the last 3 weeks) sent both my kids passports off and paid the extra and both were back BEFORE the first 2 weeks was over.

Also, if your friend is from a different country ( I think you were saying Puerto Rico maybe), it is harder to get original birth certificates from places other than within the US and it takes longer as well. I would suggest she send off for another birth certificate asap even if it means paying extra for overnight delivery or something to assure she has one or the other before May.

Note: Birth Certificates and/or U.S. Naturalization Certificates will be acceptable proof of citizenship until 01/07/07. Effective 01/08/07, all U.S. citizens will need to present a valid passport for travel. For all sailings (except Europe), we encourage you to obtain a passport prior to sailing in order to expedite the process.

United States citizens must present a passport as proof of citizenship on all European sailings.

Voter's Registration cards or a Social Security cards are not considered acceptable as proofs of citizenship.

The above is copied from the Carnival web sight.. Isn't it saying we all need passports as of 01/08/07?. That is now. I know the goverment has given us til next year but it seems Carnival is wanting them now.. We are sailing in Oct and applying for our passports next month.. I am getting a wee bit nervous about them coming in time.. I wasn't concerned til I saw the above on the Carnival sight..

WHATS THE NUMBER THAT YOU CALL.. I WILL TRY THIS CAUSE I HANG UP -HOLD TIME IS RIDICULOUS , BUT IF IT MEANS RESULTS.. IT'S WORTH IT..

My DH and I are going on our cruise May 14. I checked today and the checks have been cashed. Does that mean it is being processed and if so about how long unitl I receive it? If anyone knows that would be helpful. I am not to worried for I can get bc for both of us if need be. I am just curious and EXCITED!!!!!

Thank you!!

What is the cc number???????????? And thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey sorry I took long to get back. CC means Credit Card Number...I gave them that and they use Fed Ex so fed ex will bill me directly for overnight delivery...Not the passpport agency who charges 60 dollars. I also notice that the passport agency to listed on the fed ex airbill to bill them...maybe i got luckly or it was a courtesy...hope this helped.

WHATS THE NUMBER THAT YOU CALL.. I WILL TRY THIS CAUSE I HANG UP -HOLD TIME IS RIDICULOUS , BUT IF IT MEANS RESULTS.. IT'S WORTH IT..

Hey I know what you mean...when the lady says your hold time is greater then 5 minutes be prepared to wait. To be honest I got better results around 12 in the afternoon rather then after 5 pm...heres the number 1-877-487-2778 GOOD LUCK

Both my kids are in college so I had them go to an approved passport agency in the area they were in.....one in Va.....one in NC....I was with them even though they were 18 and over cause I was paying and I paid the extra $60 to rush it plus I paid for overnight delivery. No problems, got them under 2 weeks.

I know that the gov't is saying that you do not need a passport for sea travel until next year; however, we are traveling with 3 kids and if anyone had to stay behind at port for medical care, we would not be able to fly home without passports.

Something to think about!

Note: Birth Certificates and/or U.S. Naturalization Certificates will be acceptable proof of citizenship until 01/07/07. Effective 01/08/07, all U.S. citizens will need to present a valid passport for travel. For all sailings (except Europe), we encourage you to obtain a passport prior to sailing in order to expedite the process.

United States citizens must present a passport as proof of citizenship on all European sailings.

Voter's Registration cards or a Social Security cards are not considered acceptable as proofs of citizenship.

The above is copied from the Carnival web sight.. Isn't it saying we all need passports as of 01/08/07?. That is now. I know the goverment has given us til next year but it seems Carnival is wanting them now.. We are sailing in Oct and applying for our passports next month.. I am getting a wee bit nervous about them coming in time.. I wasn't concerned til I saw the above on the Carnival sight..

Not sure where you found that, because that's not what I found on the carnival site.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gifThe U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective as early as January 1, 2008.

It goes on to say that Carnival recommends you have them, but they are NOT required today, and won't be until at least 1/1/08.

Not sure where you found that, because that's not what I found on the carnival site.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gifThe U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective as early as January 1, 2008.

It goes on to say that Carnival recommends you have them, but they are NOT required today, and won't be until at least 1/1/08.

https://funpass.carnival.com/WebHelp/FunPass_Quick_Check_In.htm#FunPass_Quick_Check-In/Accessing_your_booking.htm

Go to "Entering citizenship information"... The info I quoted is on the right side of the page..

ICF,

I saw that information, too. Of course, I saw the updated information just the other day after paying the 85.00 x 2 extra to expedite our two boys theirs. It was worth it to know we would get them faster (8 days vs. the 12-15 weeks the postal worker told us. Also, there was an article in the paper here in Charleston the other day about the back up. I don't have it in front of me, but they are way behind. Someone had talked about phoning and offering to pay the expedite fee...it would be worth a try.

Got the passports, but where are the travel docs???:(

I just read on Costa's documents that they want not only a valid passport, but one that does'nt expire till 6 months after the cruise.

I am leaving April15th. My passport expires in JUne. I will call Costa tomarrow. Where do we send to get a fast passprot? I hate the thought of mailing my non expired passports in. I hope Costa waves this rule. Has anyone heard of it?

Not sure if this is relevant but this is our first cruise and we're going to Ocho Rios. On visitjamaica.com it says

All travelers between the U.S. and the Caribbean will be required to carry passports starting January 23, 2007, as mandated by the United States Department of Homeland Security. Under a new immigration law known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, all U.S. citizens and foreign nationals, whether traveling by air or sea, must provide a passport to enter or re-enter the U.S. from both vacation and business travel.

I called carnival and they said "it's probably wrong"

Not sure if this is relevant but this is our first cruise and we're going to Ocho Rios. On visitjamaica.com it says

All travelers between the U.S. and the Caribbean will be required to carry passports starting January 23, 2007, as mandated by the United States Department of Homeland Security. Under a new immigration law known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, all U.S. citizens and foreign nationals, whether traveling by air or sea, must provide a passport to enter or re-enter the U.S. from both vacation and business travel.

I called carnival and they said "it's probably wrong"

Carnival...or any cruise line for that matter is probably not the best resource for customs/immigration info. The state dept website is usually up to date and one could also visit the websites of the countries they are visiting.

I know that the gov't is saying that you do not need a passport for sea travel until next year; however, we are traveling with 3 kids and if anyone had to stay behind at port for medical care, we would not be able to fly home without passports.

Something to think about!

Exactly! My cruise is in November, I always expect the worst. I went and applied for my passport last week because I don't want to have to worry last minute about it coming in time. Looking at how long it's taking, I made a good decision in applying for it this early!:)

Archived