New wine limits?

mom2NnB

I have had too much to drink and ran out in to yard to jump in the hot tub because I felt the need to go "overboard", with no ocean in sight.

The jumper was a *****, plain and simple. He would have done something stupid whether on land or at sea, and my guess is he has now done stupid things on both.

Regardless of the cause of the rule change, folks will smuggle. Right or wrong. They would have done it prior to the rule change anyway. (And I'm not saying whether I am or not, just in case the Carnival Cops are lurking).

The biggest problem of this whole situation is going to be the 'no fans of Coke' faction, and the "no fans of tap water' faction. Those are the folks who will be, or currently are, up-in-arms.

Go Cats

I agree, and I think Carnival is smart enough to know that too (those people are likely to do the same thing at home, and they have millions each year that seem to do just fine) Hopefully the water fans will give the ship water a shot, I prefer it to bottled water actually. The "fans of coke" will just have to break their addiction (sorry, tongue in cheek for all those that always tell smokers to just "quit" for a week, LOL!!! I've never been an addict to caffeine or sugar, but I'm sure it's a hard habit to break!!!!)

Why should everyone be punished because of stupid azz people jumping over board?

I don't care how smashed drunk I get...you won't catch me trying to swim with Nemo, Flipper or the propeller from a boat!!

Some people are just plain stupid!! and should be charged from Carnival for waisted gas for a search and the cost for rescue from the Coast Guard.

If you were to become extremely sick on board and have to be evacuated..THEY CHARGE for the evac..why should this be different? People that jump overboard due to alcohol abuse should get the book thrown at them!! If you want to commit sucide PLEASE don't do it from a Cruise, just because people want to end their life don't interrupt our vacations for it. After being on many Cruises I find it hard just to stumble and fall in the ocean

Ya know, you are the same way. Sure seems like an argument :rolleyes: I said:

or they would have made the change during "jumper year" a few years back.

And you started in on the stats for last year... Look at my comment... in no way was I saying anything about numbers, at the time, it was the highest number of jumpers and you would think if they were going to make a change, they would have made it then. But you started in on "when, how, that was 2006, and posting stats (then deleting)"

I am only going by the stats on Cruise Junkie... if your source is more valid, that is fine... I was simply stating that during 2005 (5 on Carnival), there were more jumpers than ever on Carnival... no changes. I'm not arguing with you anymore, obviously you missed my point. I still maintain that Carnival is a business, and an added $20 Million to their bottom line, during a time when fuel is killing them, along with all the other factors lately, would be the driving force in this decision.

Well I guess maybe I did miss your point.....

But you also missed mine........I guess that's what happens when we are not face to face.....

Maybe the last 2 years was the last straw...

And I still maintain it has something to do with people going overboard and the correlation with smuggeled alcohol.

Sorry if me deleting offended you...... It was not legible........

Well I guess maybe I did miss your point.....

But you also missed mine........I guess that's what happens when we are not face to face.....

Maybe the last 2 years was the last straw...

And I still maintain it has something to do with people going overboard and the correlation with smuggeled alcohol.

Sorry if me deleting offended you...... It was not legible........

I'm certainly not offended...

We can agree to disagree... we all have opinions. My opinions may be different because I tend to think more like a business owner (which gets me in trouble from time to time :o ), so I am always thinking about the bottom line...

I realy don't get what the fuss is all about. If I owned a sandwich shop and four people came in to eat and one had brought their own sandwich I would not allow it. Carnival is a business there to make profit. Food is free so they want their money out of the beverage end of their business. It's not rocket science.

As for searching checked bags, I do beleive they have always done random searches and if booze was found during these it was taken out so that is not new.

You can still have booze in your cabin, just order a bottle before you cruise to be delivered to your cabin. I did and it was nice.....I also smuggled and I ended up bringing a bunch home and had an $800 S&S bill...just for me.:eek: After all the drinking I never once tried to jump!

For those wanting their soft drinks, just wait to the first port to buy them.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

The non-alcoholic portion of the rule is in the Embarkation section only. They forgot to put it in the Ports of Call section.

Dave

before they read this and change the rule again. If I can't bring on my CF Diet Pepsi, I need to buy it in Nassau. :D SHHHH, don't tell them to change the rule for bringing soda on in port. LOL;)

OK now, everyone......let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater:eek:

I know that all of us soda drinkers can drink a "coke" if we want a soda, and all of us can drink the ship water when we want to drink water....

However, I think the point is what we want to drink and not what we have to drink! I have found that when I drink the ship's water (which I agree tastes very good), I have swollen feet and ankles. When I only drink the water that I bring with us, I do not have swollen feet and ankles......go figure!

I am a Pepsi drinker and that is what I have taken on board, along with a six pack of water.

BTW, the amount of Pepsi and water that we take for a 15 day cruise is one 6 pack of 16oz screw top plastic bottles each. We can use a portion of a bottle for each day and we have had bottles left over which we leave for the crew.

We believe that if Carnival would limit the amount of bottled water and soda to be brought aboard as they do with the wine, it would work for everyone. JMHO......

Rick and Janine:)

A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club.

Just to change the subject, why does it cost $4 more for corkage (I love that word) fee in the Supper Club?

Now Cotton is gonna yell at us 'cause de-corking has nothing to do with "corkage". :p

Seriously, I haven't compared prices between the two, but maybe it is to reflect a higher markup on the wine at the supper club.

Most likely, like most land restaurants - the classier the joint the higher the corkage. :cool:

However, I think the point is what we want to drink and not what we have to drink! I have found that when I drink the ship's water (which I agree tastes very good), I have swollen feet and ankles. When I only drink the water that I bring with us, I do not have swollen feet and ankles......go figure!

Rick and Janine:)

That is because the reverse osmosis process does not filter out all of the chlorides in the water. You are still getting a little bit of the salt (sodium chloride) in the water.

Dave

Just one year ago, we purchased 100 shares of CCL for the perks and to sail with a cruise line that allowed a "reasonable" amount of wine to be taken on board at embarkation. We just returned from our 8th sailing with Carnival (Valor) and was looking forward to becoming Platinum soon. With the change in CCL's wine policy, we will be selling our shares of CCL and will return for future sailing with RCL where we are Diamond members (and owners of 300 shares.) Any other members have similar plans?

Just one year ago, we purchased 100 shares of CCL for the perks and to sail with a cruise line that allowed a "reasonable" amount of wine to be taken on board at embarkation. We just returned from our 8th sailing with Carnival (Valor) and was looking forward to becoming Platinum soon. With the change in CCL's wine policy, we will be selling our shares of CCL and will return for future sailing with RCL where we are Diamond members (and owners of 300 shares.) Any other members have similar plans?

Nope

Business must be good if the cruiselines can start to put policies in place like this. Hotels and land based vacations don't try to make these rules. I have never seen a hotel say you can't bring your own booze, soda, or water into the room. Liberal beverage policies and no need to drive used to differentiate the cruiselines. So now the first time cruiser looking at going on a cruise will have to face the fear of seasickness and smaller rooms compared to their familar vacations spots as well as the cruise beverage policy.

FYI Carnival is the only line that limits non-alcoholic beverages. RCI did float the same type of message about 1 year ago but then changed it to no alcoholic beverages to be brought on board and they include wine. Until Carnival issued this new policy RCI was the strictest but now Carnival gets that honor. NCL allows unlimited wine to be brought on board and no problem with soda or water.

Until business gets thin, I guess they will keep making less liberal policies.

Just have to budget in for their priced beverages, when comparing to other vacations.

Did you take them on with your carryon and were you charged the $10 corkage fee or were they for your cabin? Curious how strict they are about the corkage fee...a friend of mine was not charged.

Yes, they were in a rolling cooler along with a couple bottles of 7-up and water. We brought them each night to the dining room and were charged the $10 corkage fee each time as were others in our group.

I've never been charged a corkage fee on any cruise I've been on. Of course, last one was 2/07. That may be different now with the new rules.

I like the idea of a well cleaned out shampoo bottle. A "family sized" shampoo bottle of 151 ought to do me fairly well for a 7 day cruise, lol! :eek: :D Personally, from all the posts I've read here, I think that trying to do anything short of hand inspecting each piece of luggage is going to allow those all-too-crafty smugglers (of which I am one and taking notes from this post, lol) to get by. You know what they say....where there's a will.......

Archived