Seward & Homer questions form Anchorage

TeeBuccs

I am looking to do northbound cruise followed by at least 5-7 days on land doing self-guided activities. I would really like to spend sometime in Seward and Homer areas but have never been to either of these cities before.

Ship would disembark in Whittier. Could we rent a car somewhere in this area and drive to Seward and/or Homer and find places to stay for a few days. If I had to do one over the other, I would prefer the Homer area (for fishing and wildlife opportunities) but hoping to at least drive through Seward for a day.

From here I thought about returning to Whittier (or wherever) and taking train to Anchorage (as home base - spend the night) before taking train possibly to Denali for two nights. We could easily fly home from either Fairbanks or Anchorage so return isn't too much of an issue.

Any thoughts on how this sort of itinerary could work or some helpful hints and websites for planning purposes?

Thanks a BUNCH in advance!!

TeeBuccs,

We're on our first cruise to Alaska in June and will be disembarking in Whittier, also. I think Avis is the only major rental car ompany in Whittier. There may also be an independent. We're only going as far as Seward via PJ's Taxi to spend a couple of nights. We will ride the train to Anchorage and pick up our rental car. From there we head to Talkeetna and Denali for 4-5 days then return to Anchorage for our flight home.

If I were going to both Homer and Seward, I would probably opt to ride the train or other transportation to Anchorage. From there I would pick up my rental car(off-airport location to save a few bucks). Then tour the Kenai Peninsula and return the car to Anchorage(avoid the one-way dropoff fee). But, that's just me. There are lots of other helpful opinions on this board. I've also found good information on TripAdvisor, Fodors...etc websites.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

I also suggest you head straight to Anchorage to rent your car, and skip the train travel, unless you want to take a cruise transfer by train from Whittier to Anchorage. The train trip to Denali is LONG. You're better off in a car, able to stop and go as you wish. Since you will have just come from Whittier, I suggest you head north first, then south. If you plan to hit Denali and both Seward and Homer, I feel you need at least 7 days.

What kind of fishing? Saltwater or river? What time of year?

Possible itinerary: night 1: Anchorage or Mat-Valley

nights 2, 3: Denali

night 4: Mat-Valley or Anchorage

nights 5, 6: Seward (if night 4 was Mat-Valley) or Homer (if night 4 was Anchorage

night 7, 8: Homer (if after a day you don't want to stay another night in Homer, you could head back north and stay in Soldotna or Kenai) or Seward

We spend quite a bit of time in Homer every year.

I would rent the car from Avis in Whittier. I just did a test on the Avis website-full size car (Chevy Impala). June 22-June 30-8 days-no discount codes, nothing except straight rental

From Whittier and return to ANC (airport)-$683.00

From ANC to ANC-$581.00. For $100.00 difference, you will be hard pressed to get to ANC, rent the car and redrive the same route you just took a bus or train on.

That said, if you want to see both towns, I would first drive to Seward-spend a couple of nights-Sea Life Center, NORTHWESTERN GLACIER (the long one) cruise, and any other thing you would like to see.

Then head for Homer. Maybe even a night in Soldotna or Ninilchik before you get to Homer. Don't know when you are going-during King Salmon season-mid June is peak-those areas will be packed, so plan on high rates and limited availability. But any other time, the rates are reasonable and some lovely scenery. The little dirt road outside Ninilchik has great views of Cook Inlet. Soldotna (on the little town backroads) are filled with moose.

Then on to Homer. Lots of scenery and places to stop on the way. A drive out East End Drive and a stop at the Fritz Creek grocery are well worth it. The grocery store is a total throwback to the 1960's-hippie skirts and all. The bakery goods and soups are outstanding.

If you need further Homer info, please post.

You could also consider a round trip Whittier rental, compare the costs, if you get to Whittier just prior to the train- not much to do there.

I too definately prefer a car for Denali Park, I would also suggest 3 nights if you still go with the train. I also agree, that 7 days are really needed if you want to include the 3 areas you list.

Archived