Anyone drove from Cleveland area?

MrsP99

We are driving to Port Canaveral from the Cleveland area in July...just wondering if anyone else has taken this trip...did it take long?...mapquest is saying 16 1/2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

We have friends who will not fly. They live in Toledo. The usually drive it in a straight stretch and take turns sleeping in the car. I don't know the exact time it takes them, but it is close to 24 hours (with dinner breaks and potty breaks)

That's a pretty close estimate. We drove from the southern burbs of Cleveland

to Orlando in about 15 hours. Straight through and before kids:)

Seriously though, Air Tran does have some good deals out of Akron/Canton.

It isn't nearly as crowded as Hopkins and it would be worth the drive, IMO.

Have you checked airfairs on AirTran via Akron Canton?

Yeah, we checked airfare...it's about 1000.00 for our family of 4. We dont mind driving, I have family in S. Carolina so we are going to extend our vacation for a couple days and visit them after the cruise....but, thats not to say I'll be the first to purchase plane tickets if the price is right!!! :cool:

May God be with you, and pray for no car problems, accidents or whatever! :p

I would freak if I had to drive that far to make a cruise...:eek:

Wife drives from Erie to Alabama 'only when necessary' to visit the kids... Other than that, its an airline ticket! :D

We are driving to Port Canaveral from the Cleveland area in July...just wondering if anyone else has taken this trip...did it take long?...mapquest is saying 16 1/2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

We make this trip at least twice a year. Live in North Carolina right off I- 95 and home is Windsor Ontario. The time listed is about right, a little less depending on your speed, I have a lead foot, my DH does the speed limit. We make Cleveland in about 9hrs, Port Canaveral is 7 - 8 hours from here and we have been there a lot as well.

We just drove from the other side of the lake from you guys in Ont. We drove to Ft Lauderdale it took me 2 days of driving about 25 hours total. I planned on the 2 days of driving but I inclunded an extra day for bad weather just in case. Not a bad drive at all and I will do again. My DW likes to drive to Florida because she says she can bring a lot more stuff back home

I was considering driving , to cut down on my costs too...

BUT it just wasnt adding up... to spend that much time in my car with my kids ... constantly saying...are we there yet?:mad: NOPE!!!

I decided against it .

Spent the extra money for air right out of ERIE ! Not that I had extra $$ sitting around , either ! I just didnt want to deal with the hassle ... and dangers , I would be the only person driving , and that is a long trip , if you do not have HELP driving.

Have a nice trip !

Wow...I must be really lazy; the Galveston port is the closest to my town; I live in Amarillo, TX and it's an 11 hour drive one way to Galveston; I just don't want to waste that much time getting to my cruise; this is supposed to be a vacation!! Then, the awful drive back? (shudders)

Yeah, I would't worry much about the trip down there, because you have something to look forward to... it's the drive back that would kill me!! I've considered driving, but I always come to my senses :p

OP, I do wish you luck... prepare for every scenario and build in an extra day at least... have fun!

we are driving to tampa from buffalo and it will be approx 20 hrs so cleveland to port canaveral will be about 18 hrs give or take.

We live in Akron and drive to different parts of Florida every year with two children. It only takes about 15-16 hours. It is not a bad drive at all, we usually drive straight through the night and stop in the morning somewhere for breakfast. We will be driving to Jacksonville in June for our cruise!!!!:D

Have a safe trip!!!!

We drove to Orlando two times...16 hours and 10 minutes...we dont stop a whole lot, go down I-77 but it is an easy drive.....the first time we drove to Stuart Florida, passed Canaveral at about 16 hours....The second time we drove to Orlando and then down to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise....buy gas in Georgia....I enjoyed the driving to the port thing.....easier getting on the ship not having to mess around at the airport, get a transfer to the port and stand around a lot...then on arrival back at port, wwe walked our bags off the ship at 7:00am and the car was pointed north on I-95 at 7:45am

Archived