vaccinations

redjuliet

Now some may read this thread who are going through the panama Canal and no you do not need vaccinations to go through just the canal. Now if you are going into the jungle outside of the Canal Zone then you best check that out if you need vaccinations.

marilyn

We are taking the full canal transit next month. We went to the Internation Travel Clinic here, and had them go through our itinerary. There are no vaccinations that are mandatory, but they do recommend HEP A and tetanus.

That is what we went with. They also gave us a medication (Cipro) to bring along in case of Montezuma's revenge. Some people in our group also had the HEP B shot. Some of the other people in our group decided against having any shots. It is a personal decision. Travelling by cruiseship, and just visiting the ports during the day is a pretty safe way to travel. It is a personal decison, and whatever you decide, have a wonderful holiday!!!

julia:)

While no vaccinations are necessary, you will be prohibited from donated blood to the Red Cross after visiting many locations, including some in Mexico. DH has a rare blood type, and because we love to cruise to different destinations, he hasn't been able to donate for a couple of years.:( No, he was never sick. It is just a precaution they take to avoid tainted blood supply.

We will be taking a Panama Canal full transit in the fall. I am trying to find out if shots ( yellow fever, hep A/B etc) are required. We are going to be in Cartagena Columbia (listed as an endemic area) and then in Aruba.

I understand Aruba requires a certificate for yellow fever if you are coming from Columbia?? Princess are being non committal on this subject saying they will advise later!! :( The problem is, it takes time to organise getting the shots and I believe the Hep' shots have to have a booster later on?

I just do not know what to do, :confused: any advise?

I understand that Jamaica has had a problem with mosquitos recently and would recommend you take along some bug spray just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy your cruise, no better way to travel !!!

If you get the shots, be sure to have them recorded on the yellow international WHO form rather than a local clinic form. Your immunizations are recognized everywhere when you use the yellow WHO form. This is important for yellow fever shots. My wife got them all but Kaiser didn't use the yellow WHO form.

We will be taking a Panama Canal full transit in the fall. I am trying to find out if shots ( yellow fever, hep A/B etc) are required. We are going to be in Cartagena Columbia (listed as an endemic area) and then in Aruba.

Travel bug...I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would be more than shocked if you had to get a yellow fever shot to visit Aruba after Columbia on a cruise ship. Those sorts of requirements pertain much more to people traveling by land, and visiting jungle locations. Visiting (I assume) the city of Cartegena, you won't be in a jungle environment at all.

I did Brazil by cruise ship, and was told by my local travel health clinic that I needed a yellow fever shot to get my Brazilian visa. Well, they were right, I guess, but I later found out that by visiting Brazil only as far north as Rio and by cruise ship, I really didn't need to have gotten one.

As for Hep A/B...I travel a bit, and wouldn't go anywhere but Europe, the Caribbean and Australia without those shots (and the same with having your tetanus updated). That just makes common sense.

Here's the official word from the CDC. Aruba does require a Yellow Fever immunization if you have traveled in a country in an endemic zone such as Columbia. You can also check with the consulate or embassy for each country to see what their requirements are.

http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?section=YBAll&cssNav=browseoyb

Travelbug - I am not sure where in BC you are from, but if there is a travel clinic in your area, but here is a link to the clinics located all over BC.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/travel/clinic_e.html

You can find info there, call a clinic, or go in and see someone, they are really helpful.

Julia

Thanks, we are close to Nanaimo and I know there is one there. I will check it out.

Archived