~The Ultimate Carnival Beverage Thread~

KBD627

How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?

• No effect I never bring beverages on board.
    • I will strictly follow it. I follow all of carnival's rules.
    • I'm a past smuggler will now smuggle non-alcohol too.
    • I will now join the smugglers.

Well 1) I use coke as a generic- so if you go with "hard to find your brand" than that applies to many types of coke (pepsi, etc) as well.

2) I do personally drink coke products, but rarely more than one a day, and never if I have to pay a dollar a can- and I believe I would have to pay more than that on-board. I can live without soft drinks for the week, but my PVP did mention it as a perk when we discussed reasons to book carnival over another line. Its dissappointing it is no longer offerred.

Hopefully the water will agree with me, since I can't bring bottles on- I have a tough time with tap water, and thankfully now live somewhere I can drink it. I tend to let myself get really dehydrated rather than drink water I think is "gross"- even if other people think it is not. I grew up with semi-hard water, and really prefer it to really soft water.

I just find it unfortunate that my husband can bring a beverage he enjoys, because it is wine, rather than paying the high prices on the ship, and I cannot.

If PVP's are having to lower themselves to talking about bringing soda and water onboard as a "perk", this is sad... with all the perks onboard, if this is one they are highlighting, that is truly sad and the bigwigs should know this...

Many bottled waters are simply municipal waters... people are duped all the time. Check out the stories on Aquafina... but believe me, the water on the ship (not the tap water, that stuff doesn't taste good to me), but the water in the dispensers on the Lido, and water served with meals, is just as good or better than bottled waters, and it is purified.

Maybe you can talk to the special needs dept and tell them that your husband is bringing wine for your special occasion and ask if you can bring a bottle of water along to help celebrate because you don't drink... but bottles of wine on the ship are $30, a bottle of water is $2 (less if you buy the jumbo)... would you rather them allow you the bottle of water, or the bottle of wine????? :p

Host Randy, GREAT job!!!!! :D

Many bottled waters are simply municipal waters... people are duped all the time. Check out the stories on Aquafina... but believe me, the water on the ship (not the tap water, that stuff doesn't taste good to me), but the water in the dispensers on the Lido, and water served with meals, is just as good or better than bottled waters, and it is purified.

Same water out of the tap as on the Lido deck. The difference is actually the aerator on the taps. Since they are not cleaned they tend to gather dirt, mold, mildew, ect. This effects the taste of the water and how healthy it is to drink. Removing it will make your water flow stronger and splash more but will improve the quality and taste. Learned this when we had the house water system re-done and coouldn't figure out why the water was perfect coming out of the hose bib but not out of the faucet.

9 threads on this now merged.....my my....:eek:

Randy, only 9 it seemed like every other thread for the last week was about this:eek: . Thanks for keeping my poll and making mine :D the lead of the ultimate thread :rolleyes: .

This is great! It's ridiculous that people want to bring cases of water and soda on board. It's all available for sale on the ship. If you can't afford it don't take the cruise.

I wonder sometimes if it makes people feel good to put others down . Because in real life if you said something like that to me to my face I would ask you if you what kind of crack you were smoking . For health reasons I only drink purified water with low to no sodium , and it sounds like I am not the only when reading the boards here.

Its like on another thread about this same thing someone was saying "If you people wouldnt be so cheap and buy it on the ship this would not have happen "

No matter where ya go there are people it seems that just want to make others feel bad. What does "people like you" mean ? People like me hmmmm married people? hmmmm people who work to pay for thier vacations?? oh wait I got it people who drive Mercedes Benz and are wanting to bring water on for health reasons because you think I cant pay for a 2 buck bottle of water on the ship?? ok I understand now thanks I get it .:rolleyes:

Same water out of the tap as on the Lido deck. The difference is actually the aerator on the taps. Since they are not cleaned they tend to gather dirt, mold, mildew, ect. This effects the taste of the water and how healthy it is to drink. Removing it will make your water flow stronger and splash more but will improve the quality and taste. Learned this when we had the house water system re-done and coouldn't figure out why the water was perfect coming out of the hose bib but not out of the faucet.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "not water that comes out of the tap"... I realize it's the same, but yes, it tastes weird, and also, lukewarm water has never tasted good to me, even bottled :)

Good job Randy.

For those who may be interested, the following has now been added to the online version of the Cruise Contract.

"(f). Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation."

I wonder sometimes if it makes people feel good to put others down . Because in real life if you said something like that to me to my face I would ask you if you what kind of crack you were smoking . For health reasons I only drink purified water with low to no sodium , and it sounds like I am not the only when reading the boards here.

Wait a dang minute... there are different kinds of crack???? :p

The water on the ship IS purified and IS low sodium... problem solved, but you will be in trouble if you eat almost anything at all on the ship... LOADED with sodium (cooked in mass quantities)... and nearly any of the alcoholic drinks. But if you are worried about the water and only the water, and not all the other sodium laden things on the ship, you can buy a 1.5L bottle for $3.50... just keep in mind that many bottled waters are just city water :) The ships water actually goes through an amazing purification process...

Wait a dang minute... there are different kinds of crack???? :p

Actually, yes.

The water on the ship IS purified and IS low sodium... problem solved, but you will be in trouble if you eat almost anything at all on the ship... LOADED with sodium (cooked in mass quantities)... and nearly any of the alcoholic drinks. But if you are worried about the water and only the water, and not all the other sodium laden things on the ship, you can buy a 1.5L bottle for $3.50... just keep in mind that many bottled waters are just city water :) The ships water actually goes through an amazing purification process...

Funny thing about "low sodium" is the amount of it though. Low is a very relative term.

From the EPA:

The issue of sodium posed a unique challenge for the Agency priority setting and contaminant candidate listing process. On one hand, high levels of salt intake may be associated with hypertension in some individuals. On the other hand, sodium levels in drinking water are usually low and unlikely to be a significant contribution to adverse health effects. This low level of concern is compounded by the legitimate criticisms of EPA's 20 milligrams per liter (mg/l) Drinking Water Equivalency Level (DWEL or guidance level) for sodium. EPA believes this guidance level for sodium needs updating, and is probably low. If a health benchmark for drinking water were established using current information and current drinking water health assessment procedures, it would likely be higher. This revision could establish a new level at which sodium occurrence would not meet the criteria for inclusion on the CCL as a drinking water contaminant of concern. There was insufficient time to complete a reassessment of the sodium guidance in advance of the CCL issuance.

• Low-sodium: 140 mg or less per serving (or, if the serving is 30 g or less or two tablespoons or less, 140 mg or less per 50 g of the food)
  • Very low-sodium: 35 mg or less per serving (or, if the serving is 30 g or less or two tablespoons or less, 35 mg or less per 50 g of the food)
  • Sodium-free: Less than 5 mg per serving

In a National Inorganics and Radionuclides Survey, conducted by EPA in the mid-1980s, about 3/4 of 989 water systems included had concentrations of sodium of less that 50 mg/l. Assuming that an adultweighing 70 kilograms (about 150 pounds) drinks two liters (about 8 glasses) per day, he or she would typically ingest less than 100 mg of sodium per day from drinking water. Based on this data, a 1/4-liter serving (about an 8-ounce glass) would contain less than 12.5 mg of sodium, well within FDA's "very low sodium" category.

It is not necessary to switch to bottled water to maintain a healthy, low-sodium diet. Levels of sodium in a serving of drinking water are very low in most water systems. Also, FDA imposes quality standards for bottled water that are equivalent to EPA's drinking water standards.

Good job Randy.

For those who may be interested, the following has now been added to the online version of the Cruise Contract.

"(f). Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation."

But that does not change their contract on those already sent to passengers.

And, regardless of what has been posted earlier, the old contract does not give them permission to change the contract "without notice".

Sooooo for those (like me) with a contract prior to a few days ago, we will be fine. I sail Saturday, and I comfortable in the belief that Carnival will honor their contract with me and that i will be allowed a "reasonable" amount of my wine and non-alcoholic beverages of choice.

If not, I won't stress over it. I will enjoy my vacation. As a smuggler, I'm used to things not going my way sometimes.

And, regardless of what has been posted earlier, the old contract does not give them permission to change the contract "without notice".

Sooooo for those (like me) with a contract prior to a few days ago, we will be fine. I sail Saturday, and I comfortable in the belief that Carnival will honor their contract with me and that i will be allowed a "reasonable" amount of my wine and non-alcoholic beverages of choice.

If not, I won't stress over it. I will enjoy my vacation. As a smuggler, I'm used to things not going my way sometimes.

Yes, actually it does since their written contract that they sent you allows them to alter, change, or update the contract at any point without prior notice.

Is there a date on the contract they sent you? They have never sent me a contract :( Did you see this part of the contract?? This is now the current contract... (regardless, they can determine what is "reasonable" and decide reasonable is now NONE :p)

22.This contract constitutes the entire agreement between Carnival and Guest and supercedes all other agreements, oral or written. Any alteration to any term of this contract must be in writing and signed by Carnival. Should any provision of this contract be contrary to or invalid by virtue of the law of the jurisdiction in which this contract is sought to be enforced or be so held by a court of competent jurisdiction, such provision(s) shall be deemed to be severed from the Contract and of no effect and all remaining provisions herein shall be in full force and effect and constitute the Contract of Carriage.

And I guess if you disagree, they can just invoke this one:

5. Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his passage money, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind.

Is there a date on the contract they sent you? They have never sent me a contract :( Did you see this part of the contract?? This is now the current contract... (regardless, they can determine what is "reasonable" and decide reasonable is now NONE :p)

22.This contract constitutes the entire agreement between Carnival and Guest and supercedes all other agreements, oral or written. Any alteration to any term of this contract must be in writing and signed by Carnival. Should any provision of this contract be contrary to or invalid by virtue of the law of the jurisdiction in which this contract is sought to be enforced or be so held by a court of competent jurisdiction, such provision(s) shall be deemed to be severed from the Contract and of no effect and all remaining provisions herein shall be in full force and effect and constitute the Contract of Carriage.

And I guess if you disagree, they can just invoke this one:

5. Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his passage money, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind.

Actually Lucy, the date does not matter. What matters is the contract they send you with the tickets (so they send you a contract every time they send you your docs...God bless the attorneys :D ). That is the one that is "legally enforceable". And no, they cannot in one paragraph say "reasonable amount allowed" and then later decide that same amount is zero. That would open them up to all kinds of liability (trust me on that one :D ).

However, should they decide to invoke the last rule you cite, they could not allow you to embark and refund your money. But if they were to go that far, I can see a judge assessing far more damages to the injured party than simply "cruise fare". The entire contract comes up for review at that point, and I know, were I denied boarding in that situation, I would be bringing this "old VALID contract" up for an impartial judge to look at and have Carnival explain why I was denied boarding over a case of soda.

Like I said, I don't care. But contracts are contracts, and Carnival can't change them just because they want to (at least not the ones prior to a few days ago).

Actually Lucy, the date does not matter. What matters is the contract they send you with the tickets (so they send you a contract every time they send you your docs...God bless the attorneys :D ). That is the one that is "legally enforceable". And no, they cannot in one paragraph say "reasonable amount allowed" and then later decide that same amount is zero. That would open them up to all kinds of liability (trust me on that one :D ).

However, should they decide to invoke the last rule you cite, they could not allow you to embark and refund your money. But if they were to go that far, I can see a judge assessing far more damages to the injured party than simply "cruise fare". The entire contract comes up for review at that point, and I know, were I denied boarding in that situation, I would be bringing this "old VALID contract" up for an impartial judge to look at and have Carnival explain why I was denied boarding over a case of soda.

Like I said, I don't care. But contracts are contracts, and Carnival can't change them just because they want to (at least not the ones prior to a few days ago).

Actually the old contract said small amount, not reasonable. You could argue you are bound under the old contract, but Carnival could say a single can/bottle constitutes a small amount.

Actually the old contract said small amount, not reasonable. You could argue you are bound under the old contract, but Carnival could say a single can/bottle constitutes a small amount.

Yes, I agree. But like I said, should Carnival take it to the extreme in that situation, they would spend thousands of dollars trying to defend a $.50 soda (even a small claims filing would cost them in their attorney fees just to review it). They would never do it, especially with a new valid contract in force for future cruisers. They would bend, knowing the future is addressed.

So, for arguments sake, should I be denied boarding over said soda this weekend, worst case is I go home and get substantial compensation should I wish to persue it. Best case, they're reasonable and so am I. The latter is what I forsee. :D

My cousin and 12 of his closest friends just left on the 4 day Ecstasy today (Thurs. 3-29) and he brought 2 half gallons of vodka and a 12 pack of regular drinking water. He called me earlier, and NO PROBLEM MON.

My cousin and 12 of his closest friends just left on the 4 day Ecstasy today (Thurs. 3-29) and he brought 2 half gallons of vodka and a 12 pack of regular drinking water. He called me earlier, and NO PROBLEM MON.

Anacdotal. We will see how it comes out in the long term.

Would this new Carvival change regarding non-alcoholic drinks preclude a mother from bringing on water from her home to mix with her baby's formula?

As I was reading all the posts this was one of my concerns...having traveled with infants and toddlers, water and juice boxes are important. Also, when I go in port I usually end up buying yet another bottle of water. This new "rule" will make me have to trash it if I do not consume the entire bottle. I do feel for the soda drinkers that don't enjoy certain brands. As for the booze...well, I am like many others, I don't drink alot and what I do drink, I enjoy being served while on holiday.

I drink a lot of water usually. I always have bottled water in my purse. It really upsets me that now I have to take a 7 hour flight to Florida from Seattle and not be able to take my water on the plane. We have an overnight flight and will go directly to the ship where they will not be allowing me to keep my water. I know once I am on the ship I will have lots to drink. But it feels like the cruise lines are stepping on my rights too much in this case. NOT because it is a threat to security like the airlines, but that they want you to be forced to buy their bottled water and overpriced pop and booze. I also have a question. If I buy bottles water in port and bring it back to the ship will they take it from me then too? On the Mariner of the Seas and the Infinity they were taking beer away from guys that were bringing it back to the ship in the ports. I felt tike they were treated like a bunch of bad children. Not adults that paid a lot of money to be on their ship! I will try not to let this bug me because I know it won't keep me from cruising but it does seem very heavy handed to me.

You can bet Carnival is covered...

But I've still never received a contract... LOL

And they wouldn't need small claims court... if someone wants to be a jerk about the new policy, Carnival can just cancel their cruise, they don't need a reason... I would so love to be them some days :p

But yes, they can change whatever they want, whenever they want.

I spoke with some of the Security folks at the Port of New Orleans yesterday. They told me that the reason Carnival changed the NON-Alcoholic beverage policy was due to the fact that in many ports, not just New Orleans, they have found that passengers have empted water bottles and filled them with vodka. In New Orleans, an underage passenger was found to have done this with an entire case of water. Thus -- the change to protect the Cruise Line and the passengers. You ask "why are so many passengers falling off the cruise ship?" This may be part of the problem. I don't make the policy, I don't enforce the policty -- I only report what I hear. As for the folks who say, "They don'e serve my brand." I ask this, "Maybe that Dr. Pepper is really, Dr. Pepper and Capt Morgan? This brings back the old saying: One bad apple spoils the whole crate. :eek:

I spoke with some of the Security folks at the Port of New Orleans yesterday. They told me that the reason Carnival changed the NON-Alcoholic beverage policy was due to the fact that in many ports, not just New Orleans, they have found that passengers have empted water bottles and filled them with vodka. In New Orleans, an underage passenger was found to have done this with an entire case of water. Thus -- the change to protect the Cruise Line and the passengers. You ask "why are so many passengers falling off the cruise ship?" This may be part of the problem. I don't make the policy, I don't enforce the policty -- I only report what I hear. As for the folks who say, "They don'e serve my brand." I ask this, "Maybe that Dr. Pepper is really, Dr. Pepper and Capt Morgan? This brings back the old saying: One bad apple spoils the whole crate. :eek:

I've always wondered why people went through the trouble of doing that... but I also think it is a small percentage of people that do that... and I think Carnival sees missed revenue.... Either way, we'll see if it is enforced!! Maybe Carnival will start enforcing ALL their rules :rolleyes: Have you seen it enforced this week?

Archived