~The Ultimate Carnival Beverage Thread~

KBD627

How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?

• No effect I never bring beverages on board.
    • I will strictly follow it. I follow all of carnival's rules.
    • I'm a past smuggler will now smuggle non-alcohol too.
    • I will now join the smugglers.

I spend a large amount of time and money prior to each cruise selecting my cocktail dresses and evening gowns so I may look great during dinner. However within the last cruise or two it appeared that jeans and button downs were the hot outfit. If I wanted to sit with people who were wearing jeans and tees, not always a bad choice just not right for formal nights, I would sit down for a meal at McDonalds. Sorry if I stepped on any toes with this one.

If you stepped on anyones toes, they probably deserve it.

Originally Posted by big_duck viewpost.gif

Now that somebody brought of airlines.

Remember when you used to get served a proper, free meal on airlines? Do any airlines still do that? Used to be if I flew to Toronto on business early in the morning, I got served breakfast. Now I'm lucky if they chuck a container of juice to me.

Qantas Airlines, but you have to come to Oz to enjoy them. Good meals with a free wine!

Originally Posted by big_duck viewpost.gif

Now that somebody brought of airlines.

Remember when you used to get served a proper, free meal on airlines? Do any airlines still do that? Used to be if I flew to Toronto on business early in the morning, I got served breakfast. Now I'm lucky if they chuck a container of juice to me.

Qantas Airlines, but you have to come to Oz to enjoy them. Good meals with a free wine!

Hmm the object of that excercise would be to fly to OZ on Quantas (something I want to do anyway). :D

Qantas internal flights in Oz all serve food of some sort. The longer flights, Sydney to Perth usually serve up two lots of food, depending on the time of the flight. We have Virgin as well, but all food is as you buy.

My son and I are doing Carnival in October, spare a thought for us, multiply all drinks by around 30%. The Oz dollar is a bit leaner than the Greenback.

Don't use Listerine, never met Dr Pepper, and haven't got enough hair to shampoo.

I would like to hear about your adventure

The adventure of life??, or the cruise.

We're flying in to Paris for 5 days, then to Rome for 3 before the cruise. After the cruise we're going to Egypt for 17 days, then home. When we get to the other side of the earth we have to make the most of it.

2 out of 3 people surveyed said they will smuggle liquids. YES! That means I'm likely to continue getting away with it.

One thing that strikes me is that this has created such an uproar. I am with Nana..this is all about onboard revenue. It is NOT about making a less drunk cruise. How often do you see a bartender cut someone off?

I am also astonished at that 66% of the people will smuggle stuff on. Obviously this is strictly to take an already cheap product and make it cheaper. Someone pointed out that they paid $1100 a few years back and not it is under $500 for a cruise. WHere is the logic?

Sure, if you have a medicinal or perhaps religious reson for a particular brand (kosher, baby is intolerant) there should be exceptions, but can anyone name a restaurant (not fast food) that will allow you to bring in outside food because you don't like to pay the price they are charging?

You do not go into Tavern on the Green in New York's Central Park and bring a burger from McDonalds.

Who came up with this concept anyhow? Maybe if people were not so crass as to be smuggling stuff onboard, the cruise lines would not need to implement these policies. It all seems very childish to me. ANd when I read about "how much" someone was able to "get past" It makes me cringe.

Carnival is entitled to make a profit as a business. If their own customers are taking it away, they will do what they need to do to maintain it--raise cruise fares, additional "fees", or to make it easier--prohibit beverages from being carried on.

Have you noticed that the times in port are becoming shorter with 4pm departures? Noticed that the cruise lines are putting in more on board amenities? Wonder why? It is not because they care so much about you, it is because they want you on board spending your money (which is VERY easy with a cruise card) with THEM. For every dollar you spend at Carlos N Charlies, it is a dollar that they did not earn! Greedy? Sure! But hey that is business.

I also find it amusing that the Carnival customers are the ones squawking the loudest about it. RCCL has the same policy and has for a while. I have cruised on many lines and to be honest, the only one that I have witnessed the blatant smuggling has been Carnival.

Earlier in this thread someone said that the bottled water Carnival sells is Evian.

I knew that was wrong when I read it, but couldn't remember the name of the brand.

The brand Carnival sells is visible in this picture from Wennfred.

It is clearly not Evian.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9618622&postcount=5

I also find it amusing that the Carnival customers are the ones squawking the loudest about it. RCCL has the same policy and has for a while. I have cruised on many lines and to be honest, the only one that I have witnessed the blatant smuggling has been Carnival.

We were on Pride of Aloha in 2004 - NCL - same policy. They impound alcohol and store it till the end of the cruise. Great policy if they stuck to it. Went to get my alcohol - freely checked in at embarkation - and it turned out I was probably paying for it over the bar as it had 'disappeared'.

Any duty free we buy before the cruise will have to 'disappear' before we embark.

Earlier in this thread someone said that the bottled water Carnival sells is Evian.

I knew that was wrong when I read it, but couldn't remember the name of the brand.

The brand Carnival sells is visible in this picture from Wennfred.

It is clearly not Evian.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9618622&postcount=5

Looks like Crystal Springs label?

Qantas internal flights in Oz all serve food of some sort. The longer flights, Sydney to Perth usually serve up two lots of food, depending on the time of the flight. We have Virgin as well, but all food is as you buy.

My son and I are doing Carnival in October, spare a thought for us, multiply all drinks by around 30%. The Oz dollar is a bit leaner than the Greenback.

Don't use Listerine, never met Dr Pepper, and haven't got enough hair to shampoo.

And they actually serve GOOD meals!!! We got 3 meals on our flight, several choices and they were all very good, considering it was "airplane food"

Not to get back on topic or anything, but...

I spoke with a senior person at Carnival yesterday, and they are re-visiting the policy regarding non-alcoholic beverages. There will be a press release next week. "Reasonable Amounts" will be allowed - but don't take my word for it, or the word of anyone else on this board. Wait until the press release comes out - we have had far too many rumors on this tired old topic already.

I was assured that I could bring my bottled water - whew...

It really isn't B. Dickie's fault when these knee-jerk reaction things happen at CCL. The company is majority-owned by Ted Arison's kids, Mickey and Shari (from examining the SEC filings). That means Mickey calls the shots, and the rest of the shareholders are just there for the ride - and those teeny on-board perks.

But you won't see the Arisons on any of these ships - they own three of the 100-largest yachts in the US. So much for "Owner's Suites." Hey, at least they like the water, right? When you go to a Miami Heat (which Mickey also owns) game, take a look for the Mylin 200-foot yacht at the pier near American Airlines Arena (which Mickey also owns). The Mylin is the biggest in Mickey's personal fleet. And take a gander at the Forbes list of Billionaires/100 Richest People - Mickey ($6 billion) is right there at 94.

So, when you try to tell me how Carnival "needs" the money? All I can say is - LOLOLOLOLOL.....

As for me, I just want Value for my ten grand - and NO hassles!

So, when you try to tell me how Carnival "needs" the money? All I can say is - LOLOLOLOLOL.....

As for me, I just want Value for my ten grand - and NO hassles!

Well, if anyone said they NEED the money, that is incorrect... but I don't know of any business that says "let's just make x number of dollars, and we'll be fine, let's never try to grow that amount".... most businesses enjoy growth, and part of that growth is profit... if they find a way to increase their profit, most businesses that have good management, will do it... If I found a way that could increase my profits by almost 20 Million, you better believe I'd be all over it :D

10 grand? Are we still talking about Carnival??? LOL Or do you just have a very large family??? :D

Does Bon Voyage deliver cases of beer? Or can you buy a bucket of unopened beer from the bar to take back to your stateroom? If I decide to cruise it will be in a balcony stateroom and I would expect to be able to sit on my balcony and have a beer if I so desire.

Does Bon Voyage deliver cases of beer? Or can you buy a bucket of unopened beer from the bar to take back to your stateroom? That is where the smuggling would come in for me. If I decide to cruise it will be in a balcony stateroom and I would expect to be able to sit on my balcony and have a beer (I don't drink liquor) otherwise I'll be going to an AI.:p

Dunno about cases of beer, but yes you can get a BoB unopened and bring it back or there is always room service.

Archived