GQ Single Cabins on QE2

solosailaway

I just received word from Cunard that I have been assigned a QG Cabin "8209" for a November 2nd trip on the QE2. I have stayed in other single QG single cabins on the QE2 but not on this deck. I was told that these cabins are larger. Any feedback from you guys would be great if you know anything about these single QG cabins on the Boat Deck.

Ships Sailed:QE2,Crystal Symphony,Caronia,

QM2 in Jan 2004

• 2 weeks later...

We were on QE2 from Hong Kong to NY in a Q3 amidship stateroom Deck 1 and have been in similiar last year on 2 Deck - these are original First Class staterooms. Not having my brochure with me today(so I don't have the # to refer to), there was a single lady who always does the World Cruise who was in a Boat Deck QG single on port side I believe. Here's my impression on the Boat Deck staterooms which are all Q3: the location is great-easy to use the QG Lounge and if you have ports vs a crossing, it might be nice to have such easy access to the Boat Deck to pop out for the action coming in to port early etc. The downside is the window - which is large - looks out on to the Boat Deck - which is the deck everyone walks, runs on. If you don't know the ship, it's sort of a promenande deck. So if you have the sheers open, people can look in from the outside. If you have the sheers closed (but drapes open), people on the Boat Deck walking by can see lights and shadows - if anyone wanted to, and goodness knows there are passengers that would do this - they could stop and peer in. Personally I like to wake up with the drapes open so this deck would never do for me. The "peer in and look passengers" would be the same passengers who think the mode of dress for the evening doesn't mean them and that it is ok to change into something after dinner, go to shows etc. On the World Cruise, when it gets close to the sailing date in the differnt ports, Cunard sells shorter segments to the local population than what they offer to the rest of us, and people get on from port to port. One night on this past World Cruise, a formal night, there was a great show and three passengers (whom we never saw before or again) actually showed up on the front row in their bathrobes and Cunard slippers and watched the show. Unfortunately the Public Rooms Manager did not ask them to leave.

Back to your question - the Boat Deck staterooms while newer than Deck 1 and 2 QG, to me are sort of sterile-what we love about Deck 1&2 QG is they are so "ocean liner decor" and each a little different - rather than cookie cutter decorator style. BUT if this were the only option, I'd certainly take it and enjoy it. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great information. Last fall I was on the similar deck while sailing on Caronia. My cabin, #175, did over look the promenande deck. With the tinting of the windows it was not such a problem regarding the people looking into my cabin. If they are that bored I say let them look! I do think the location will be nice with the quick access to the outside decks.

Ships Sailed:QE2,Crystal Symphony,Caronia,

QM2 in Jan 2004

Wotec - I was on the Singapore to Southampton section. While agreeing with you about the poor dress standards of some passengers, are you saying that the problem is confined to those boarding on cheap deals sold by Cunard to fill the ship in the later ports on the route? Whoever it was I think the real problem is Cunard's and reality. Cunard could, if they wished enforce much more rigid appliance of their dress code. This they will not do because reality comes into it. Although they make much more profit from Grill passengers, the reality is that the ship is only viable when it is full. This means that Grill passengers, and indeed all of us who wish to keep up the standards are dependant on others who do not. At the same time many passengers that I spoke to were of the same opinion as me that there could have been a few really casual dress nights where gents could enter dining rooms with open neck shirts and without jacket, though even I would baulk at bathrobes.

David

Archived