Weigh you before helicopter ride? They sure do!

Sea Hag

I'm asking and answering my own question here. I wondered if this topic was covered anywhere on the message boards, so I ran a search and found that it is. The answers to this question in the other threads run from facetious (they put you on a big scale in the town center) to the reassuring (they didn't weigh us).

All of you out here who don't mind anybody and everybody knowing your weight - and everybody who's going to flame me with "if it bothers you, why don't you lose weight" - can skip this. This is for the others. This is for everybody else.

I love the mental image of the first type of response, but the second - the "they didn't weigh us" - isn't what we found to be true. On our NCL cruise to Hawaii last September, we were signed up for two helicopter flights. I'd speculated with my husband whether they weighed everybody or not. His take on it was that they wouldn't weigh either one of us, since nobody could possibly think that either one of us was over spec on the weight. For the first flight, a gal came to the cruise pier, herded us all together into a group, and weighed us on a bathroom scale. A large number scale!

Second flight was more discreet. We were weighed on a flat scale built into the floor at the helicopter office.

In both cases, everybody on all flights was being weighed. Not the "borderline" cases where the flight staff thought they might be over the 250 pound limit before needing a second ticket. Everybody, all flights, any size. This is because these companies have computers that balance the seating for each flight.

Another thing to note. Depending on the number of people and the weights of everybody on a given flight, you may or may not be sitting next to your husband, wife, significant other, or anybody else you know. The seats area allocated based on balancing the load. Husband and I were NOT seated next to each other.

Another note on this subject. Several years ago, we were in line at the shore excursions desk on an Alaska cruise. In the line next to us, there was a lady who'd booked a helicopter flight off the website. I suppose they'd asked her to check in at the desk. She was being told, in a sympathetic but perfectly audible to anybody in the lines tone of voice, that she would need to purchase another ticket since she weighed over 250 pounds. And that they didn't have another space for her onthat flight anyway. She was in tears! Everybody was trying to act like they didn't see or hear a thing.

So, knowing what I know now, that public weigh-ins are certainly possible, would I do it again? You bet I would! What's a little public humiliation next to a great experience like that? :)

We've been weighed before every helicopter flight and yes, you did answer your own question. The weigh-in is for weight distribution and not at all to embarass anyone. Fortunately, both heli flights we've taken the scale has been located discreetly for privacy to the individual.

The risk to every passenger and pilot has to be considered. Every advertisement I've ever seen regarding heli flights is very upfront about the weight issue. So, the heavy woman had to know this in advance.

It is a shame she was embarrassed, but the risk is too high to overlook it to spare her feelings.

We have even been weighed before flying in a small commuter flight and our luggage was weighed as well. If you remember the tragic small plane crash with the young singer Aaliyah a few years ago, you can understand why the weight issue and distribution is so important.

I do understand the reasons for it, and I completely agree with them. Safety first. My post was only meant as an fyi so people will know what to expect. Surprisingly, the thing I was most surprised at was the fact that the seating is assigned such that you may or may not get to sit next to the person you're with. In hindsight, it was silly of me to be surprised. But I was! Call me silly. :)

I have a question about the pricing. I've seen it stated that if you weight over 250, you need to buy a 2nd ticket. What happens if the person your traveling with is way less then the 250 max? Say I weight like 110 and my hubby weight 275. He's not a big guy around but a tall bulky guy. He would still only take up one seat. Would he still have to pay for 2 seats even thoe he'd only be using one and the person he's traveling with has like 140 pounds to spare? This is just something im curious about because we may run into issues should we choose to book an excursion thats in a helicopter

I have a question about the pricing. I've seen it stated that if you weight over 250, you need to buy a 2nd ticket. What happens if the person your traveling with is way less then the 250 max? Say I weight like 110 and my hubby weight 275. He's not a big guy around but a tall bulky guy. He would still only take up one seat. Would he still have to pay for 2 seats even thoe he'd only be using one and the person he's traveling with has like 140 pounds to spare? This is just something im curious about because we may run into issues should we choose to book an excursion thats in a helicopter

I believe it is pretty cut and dry. It is based on the weight of the individual not of a couple. So yes, you would have to pay for the extra weight.

Archived