Cruise insurance

The4Cruisers

Just wondering if someone can explain the pro's / con's of using a "private" firm for insurance verus the cruise line? Are coverages the same? What should you shop for? I've always bought from the cruise line, but I hear there are better deals. Please advise.

Go to insuremytrip.com and review their polices. I did research a month or so ago and found that I could get better insurance thru an independent company than thru the cruise line or the TA. And it was less expensive. There is a link that has pro's and con's

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=274

Another thing to keep in mind is to try and get travel insurance that is in first position. That way you won't have to make a claim with your homeowners or personal medical insurnace before collecting on the travel insurance.

We got our insurance through Travelex vs the cruise line's insurance. Royal Caribbean's insurance is NOT primary which means you have to submit a claim to your normal insurance carrier and then you can go through RC. Travelex works as the primary so we can deal directly with them. Plus, it was a little cheaper and the coverages were pretty much identical.

The reason that I choose to buy private insurance is that if a cruise line goes under as it did with Renaissance, I don't have to get on line with all of the other creditors. I also buy it on my credit card as this guarantees any purchases including the insurance. I want to get cash and not a voucher for a future cruise.

Fran

Archived