Aft Room Vibrations?

We are looking at an aft balcony cabin for next summer, but we are not sure if this cabin is right for us or not.

We usually try to book the middle up and middle in on the ships, but the pictures of the aft cabins look awesome....and I just love watching the trail of water from the ship going through the ocean!

My question is this - do the cabins in the far back of the ship feel alot of vibration? And do you "feel" the rocking of the ship more?

Did you love your aft cabin, or would you go back to the middle of the ship for smoother sailing?

since they have teak floored bars atop them, so it sounds like a war zone 24/7. Then they pressure wash the place onto our balconies. We had this sailing thru the PC on Summit & no refund!

On RCI, we have sailed Radiance Class up to Freedom & never any vibrations. The wake, as you call it the trail, is very mezmerizing to sit & watch & then fall asleep out there. Very relaxing in a D1 on 9th deck. Get 9256 on Radiance class for a wrap around balcony to see AFT & PORT.

I think it is **88 on Voyager Class that is the same.

We had 8088 Aft JS on the Grandeur last year. No noise, no vibes, but too much soot on the balcony. It was a 13 day repo cruise and they power washed the balcony part way thru the cruise, but the soot never stopped.

Rick

We were on the Grandeur last summer and were one cabin from the last on deck 7 (sorry I cant remember the room number) . There was alot of vibration -- so much so that even my lips were vibrating. I had never experienced that before. I felt quite a bit of motion as well but it never made me queasy at all. Liked the boat but wouldnt book that area of the ship again. Hardly slept the entire cruise!

We are looking at an aft balcony cabin for next summer, but we are not sure if this cabin is right for us or not.

We usually try to book the middle up and middle in on the ships, but the pictures of the aft cabins look awesome....and I just love watching the trail of water from the ship going through the ocean!

My question is this - do the cabins in the far back of the ship feel alot of vibration? And do you "feel" the rocking of the ship more?

Did you love your aft cabin, or would you go back to the middle of the ship for smoother sailing?

We had an aft cabin on deck 6 on Splendour of the Seas last month and there WAS some vibrations, but it didn't bother me at all. We had calm seas the whole time so i can't say about the rocking. There was some soot on the balcony but we just wiped everything down once in a while. All in all there wasn't too much. It was nice having such a large balcony, but I think from now on i will just have a regular balcony. It was nice to watch the wake, but i like looking over the side at the water! It was also a nice LONG walk to and from everything else on the ship, but it was very quiet back there too!

Sheri

Aft on the Mariner wasn't vibrating at all! We have had a bad experience with Princess. Celebrity aft was fine as well, and we were below the bar!

Having said all that, we prefer the mid ship location because of "location!":D

We've sailed in aft balcony cabins on Brilliance, Mariner and Legend and didn't experience vibration in any of those cabins. On Brilliance, we did notice more rocking but that was most likely because we had a corner aft on deck 10. Other CC members aft cabins more centered and lower decks didn't rock as much.

We usually get Aft cabins on our cruises.....7688 - 7388 on Voyager class, and 9256 and 8186 for Radiance class. Most people like to say that 9256 is so huge and has a wrap around balcony. Well, its not that huge and it doesnt wrap all the way around the ship like some lead you to believe. It does hook around a bit, but not all the way. Ive had 9256 and 8186 and they are VERY similar. 9256 balcony is about 1.5 ft deeper. There deep enough to put your two lounger chairs there and not much deeper. The center cabins balconies are much deeper. As far as noise, they arent too bad. Youll hear the wake very clearly....puts me in sleep mode...LOL You may feel some rocking because your at the back of the ship, but that too rocks me to sleep. If you have a queezy belly, it may bother you at times, but most people I talk to dont mind it. "Mid Shippers will always be Mid Shippers and After's will always be Afters...IMO"

Good luck...

we have had aft on enchantment- middle of the back of the ship deck 7 - and a corner aft deck 9 on adventure- i love the aft! the view is wonderful- we did not feel any movement that i recall- have heard another say something about soot on aft mariner but don't know what deck it was- dh likes the hump the most so we mostly book there if we can get it- location he loves because of the convenience and he did not like the walk from the aft especially at dinner time when i am usually a tad on the late side....:) if he were up for aft................i would always try to get that-

There are advantages and disadvantages to the aft cabins. Which is more important depends on you.

Advantages:

Usually larger balconies for the same price

Less thru traffic

Disadvantages:

More motion than mid ship (less than the bow)

Always (and I mean always) a long walk to your room.

Some views from the aft cabins are like a construction site.

since they have teak floored bars atop them, so it sounds like a war zone 24/7. Then they pressure wash the place onto our balconies. We had this sailing thru the PC on Summit & no refund!

On RCI, we have sailed Radiance Class up to Freedom & never any vibrations. The wake, as you call it the trail, is very mezmerizing to sit & watch & then fall asleep out there. Very relaxing in a D1 on 9th deck. Get 9256 on Radiance class for a wrap around balcony to see AFT & PORT.

I think it is **88 on Voyager Class that is the same.

We were in the Royal Family Suite on Radaince the balcony was too hot to have the door open and the vibration was horrible. I prefer the Front of the ships.

A few years ago we were aft on the Grandeur on a transatlantic to Europe. Very little vibration - maybe 'cos we went over on one engine!!! Computer cards faulty - at least that was the explanation!!! Wake looked very strange though!!! One sided - at least we went straight and not in circles!!! Ha ha!!!

We always go midship on the ta's. Used to love the aft, but would now only do that in the Fjords!!

We've gotten AFT cabins for at least the last 8 times....LOVE EM LOVE EM!!

Only time we have felt ANYTHING is a couple weeks ago on the EMPRESS, and that woke us up. But for any of the AFT balconies we've had on the Radiance class we have felt NO vibration. Also didn't have any problems with "rocking" on any ship.

We had an aft on Mariner last month, and loved it so much that we booked the same stateroom for next year.

There was motion, more so than my mom and sister had midship. There was definitely vibration, and there was some soot on the balcony. None of them were enough to turn us off the aft, though. the motion and vibration weren't enough to bother us, and even helped us sleep better in the pre-upgraded bed. The soot was invisible on surfaces, but I had read about it on here and knew that I should wipe things down before sitting. I was SO glad I knew to do that, because while I didn't mind wiping down chairs a couple of times a day, I would have been really upset if I had ruined clothes by just sitting down in it.

We decided that next year we'll take a package of disposable washcloths, because I didn't like having to use the ones provided in the bathroom, but other than that, we'd change nothing.

We did both agree that we would not recommend them for everyone, especally first time cruisers or anyone prone to motion sickness. We're trying to talk my inlaws into coming with us sometime, and MIL is convinced the ship will sink. The motion would freak her out. You do move around a lot more back there, and I don't want to make light of that fact, it just wasn't anything that bothered US.

Like some of the other posters, I LOVE aft cabins. We've had them on the last 3 cruises (2 on Rhapsody, once on Mariner). Never noticed the soot. Loved the vibration - best sleep I've ever had! I always wear a anti-seasick patch so the motion was no problem. I almost hate to recommend aft cabins because then everyone will want one.:eek: We just booked on the Empress for June 2 to Bermuda and got the last aft cabin. How lucky was that?! If we can't get one, we reconsider the date or the destination! It's an addiction.

Nicky

Archived