Visiting ports with pocketbook?

Books

We are first time cruisers(age 60) leaving for a 7 day cruise to the southern Caribbean. When visiting ports, my DH will carry a backpack with some necessary items and also a thin wallet with his important documents in his front pocket. I'm not sure if I should take my regular shoulder bag. It has a short shoulder strap and cannot be put across my body. I also don't expect to carry much with me - cruise card, ID, credit card, copy of passport, some cash, sunglasses, lip balm. I bought a little change purse type item (2" x 4") that would hold the cards and cash and figured my glasses & lip balm could go in DH backpack. I thought I would keep the Purse in my short's front pocket. Now I am having second thoughts because women's pockets are not very deep and I think it's too easy for someone to reach the purse. I also have a small black wallet type bag on a strap. It can be worn as a shoulder bag or across the body or around the waist as a dressier fanny pack. Would this be a better, more secure, choice in port? If so, which is the best way to wear it? I appreciate any help you experienced cruisers can offer. Packing for a first cruise has me boggled.

I use a large black canvas tote bag ... it has a zipper across the top and long enough straps that I can shoulder the bag and hold onto it with my hand. It came with a small zippered compartment that snaps to the inside of the bag ... I use that for iimportant stuff (credit card, ID, etc). Love it because it's large enough to hold camera, GPS, trinkets we buy in port, miscellany.

I really don't like anything like a purse for valuables when onshore on a cruise. I use my water wallet for my IDs and my $$. Other things can go into my fanny pack. My DH has a money belt that goes under his clothes. (We got it at Walmart.) Things that aren't valuable can go into DH's backpack - nothing that we would cry over if lost. I would never use one of those purses that is like a backpack - someone could come up behind you and get into it.

It is always important to be cautious. The reality for me is that I have been traveling all over since I was 18 years old, I am now 60. Except for an incident with gypsies in Italy, I have never, ever had anyone try to steal from me. I was prepared for the gypsies because I had read about them in a guide book before we went to Italy. They tried to steal my husband's wallet, but we knew their tricks and so they didn't get it!:D I have traveled all over the Caribbean and Mexico and never has anyone even come close to trying to steal from me or anyone I've traveled with. Just use some good sense. Don't take anything of real value off the ship! Keep your IDs and other important docs in your front pocket, or your husband's or boyfriend's front pocket. That's what I do. I only carry a comb, a lip balm w/spf, a small mirror, a disposible camera, Tums, and some tylenol in my bag. :p

I have used a fanny pack for years. I find it is just the right size foe me. If we do any shopping we usually get a bag to carry it in. DH carries his wallet in the front and puts rubber bands around it. He saw this on TV and it keeps pick pockets from getting it out easily because the rubber bands grip the pocket fabric.

"DH carries his wallet in the front and puts rubber bands around it. He saw this on TV and it keeps pick pockets from getting it out easily because the rubber bands grip the pocket fabric."

Thanks for this tip. I will pass it on to my DH.

"DH carries his wallet in the front and puts rubber bands around it. He saw this on TV and it keeps pick pockets from getting it out easily because the rubber bands grip the pocket fabric."

Thanks for this tip. I will pass it on to my DH.

Thanks for the great idea.

I usually end up taking a tote because invariably we do a beach stop. THe tote has zippered compartments inside for cc, ship card, etc.

Archived