Port Day Food Questions

gardner westbound

Food service is very much the same on port days and sea days. It is just less crowded on port days!! There is afternoon tea on port days. Check the Daily Programme for the times of meals and tea. I am not aware that Cunard offers boxed lunches to take ashore. Have a great trip. The QM2 is amazing.

Beth

Food on board is as normal. Only quieter! Very occasionally (transits mainly) you will find a restaurant closed. This has happened to me only once on the Queen Elizabeth 2 which was when my wife and I were on a back to back transatlantic, and in New York the Queens' Grill was closed. We had a very nice meal in the Britannia Grill, which was dealing with all the passengers for the three grill restaurants, but still only had a handful in.

Other than that, I've never not been able to get food as and when I want it in the same way as a sea day. Indeed tea is in some way more of an event in port as people start to return to the ship. Certainly if there a significant number of English aboard then a "cuppa" is needed PDQ.

The one thing you will not need to worry about is the availability of nice food.

I've never asked for a packed lunch. But as you can always order some sandwiches at any time, if this is something you really think you will want then take a lunch box and some cling film. Order your sandwiches from cabin service and then with a modicum of work you have an excellent packed lunch.

I'd tend to have something to eat out on shore, but I will quite accept that sometimes that isn't the best option for others. Indeed, in some locations I'd be worried about eating local food unless it was at a very high class restaurant - Egypt would be one place, for example.

Matthew

The poster asked about box lunches and someone else suggested packing your own from room service (or the lido/King's court). Be careful if you are going to a foreign country-and when wouldn't you be. There are rules against bringing food or fruit into a country. I am not familiar with all the rules, but I know it is and issue and they may confiscate your packed lunch.

Amazing she may be, but Cunard is not a one ship line and GW did not state which ship was being considered.

Matthew

She stated in other posts that she would be on the QM2. I checked before I answered.

Have a great weekend, Matthew.

Beth

At least Cunard provided boxed lunches in the past. I got one on the Caronia. It was nicely prepared with sandwiches, joghurt, fruits, drinks and sweets.

Yet, I do not know how it is handled now on the QE2 and QM2. I never asked nor was offered one on any of the current ships.

I certainly would refrain from packing food in the Lido and alway make sure that it is allowed to take food ashore in the particular port.

The poster asked about box lunches and someone else suggested packing your own from room service (or the lido/King's court). Be careful if you are going to a foreign country-and when wouldn't you be. There are rules against bringing food or fruit into a country. I am not familiar with all the rules, but I know it is and issue and they may confiscate your packed lunch.

How will they know? And, if they do, what does it matter in the great scheme of things?

Matthew

Hey Lisa,

I will be on the 10/31/07 sailing along with my wonderful better half. We will be celebrating our 25th annniervary. Can't wait!!!!!!! We are so excited! For once in my life I'm glad I'm on the "older" side since time goes by so much faster as we get "older". This will be our first Cunard cruise and we are really looking forward to 10 wonderful days of getting to know the QM2.

Teri

Teri...Sadly, that time that goes fast while we wait to sail, goes even faster when onboard!! I can't wait for November but I'll be patient if it means the time will slow down when we board.

Cheers, Penny

Teri...Sadly, that time that goes fast while we wait to sail, goes even faster when onboard!! I can't wait for November but I'll be patient if it means the time will slow down when we board.

Cheers, Penny

That's an ooops folks...cut and pasted to the wrong thread...sorry about that!

penny

How will they know? And, if they do, what does it matter in the great scheme of things?

Matthew

I believe it could be argued that it is their laws and their country and we have no right to disregard their requests. We expect visitors to respect the laws of our countries when they come to them, so what makes us so much better that we can ignore another country's laws? I believe that is called common courtesy....

Cheers, Penny

I am not so worried about the box lunch, it was just an idea but I think we will try some of the foods on the islands. Sorry this has started such a debate.

Thanks again!

Don't be sorry, we quite often go off line here at times.

The only time I ever had a gastric problem was after a meal on a Carrabean island. Since then I have refused any food away from the ship and been ok.

David.

Archived