If Doing Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park Cruise, Is a Whale Watch Tour in Juneau necessary?

Thankful...

Hello Everyone,

I'm so THANKFUL... for all of the advice that I have found after many months of 'lurking' on Cruise Critic.

Here is a question that I have not been able to find the answer for via the 'search' mode.

We have booked a Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise Tour leaving at 3 p.m....I am assuming that we will have a great opportunity to whale watch. Is it then necessary to also book an independent Whale Watching Tour in Juneau?

Please describe the differences in each tour if you feel strongly that BOTH cruises are beneficial.

:)

Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise Tour is a great tour (we did it in '05) but the focus is not whale watching. We did see a whale off in the distant but that is not what the tour is about. Whereas Whale Watching tours in Juneau the focus is on Whale Watching. Don't cancel Juneau with the thought that you'll see lots of whales in the Kenai Fjords area.

The Orcas gave us a fabulous showing for our 6hr KFNP excursion, however we only saw one humpback... distantly. If whale watching is high on your list, I wouldn't trade out a Juneau excursion for KFNP.

By the way, do you have a possibility of taking a longer KFNP tour? There really is so much to see on a longer cruise!

By the way, do you have a possibility of taking a longer KFNP tour? There really is so much to see on a longer cruise!

Departing at 3pm they are probably on the 6 hour tour which is a good length. Also, if this is the tour I am thnking of, there is a 2-for-1 coupon in the Toursaver book.

John

Departing at 3pm they are probably on the 6 hour tour which is a good length. Also, if this is the tour I am thnking of, there is a 2-for-1 coupon in the Toursaver book.

John

Hmm... we used TourSaver for the 6 hour cruise with Renown, and it departed at 1130am for the Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park excursion. The 3pm departure was a 3 hour cruise of mainly the Ressurection Bay area. The 6 hour is a great cruise with Renown, and I assume it would be with other vendors, as well.

No matter departure time, the 6 hour cruise offers a variety of sighteeing opportunities, from wild-life/marine-life to unique rock formations and up-close glacier viewing.:)

Thank you so much for your responses...

fti,

Yes you are correct...this is the tour that we are taking and it IS listed as a 2 for 1 on the Toursaver website...I have yet to order my book.

3:00pm Departure - Kenai Fjords National Park

Cruise the midnight sun with an afternoon tour into the National Park.

• Cruises May 26 thru August 19
  • 6-hour cruise (3:00pm to 9:00pm)
  • Our dinner cruise is a favorite among Alaskans
  • FREE Wild salmon dinner served on cruise
  • FREE Wildlife Guide
  • FREE Parking/Shuttle

• $129 for Adults plus tax and fees

We are taking the afternoon cruise as we will be disembarking in Whittier that morning, renting a car, and driving to Seward....We were afraid that we would not be able to make it to Seward for the 11:30 (all day) cruise.

Again, I am thankful for each of your input.:)

Kenai Fjords boat trips are ROUTE trips. IF whales are in the area, you will see them. However, the area is VAST and no guarantee the whales will be there. This also is not a whale watch- time viewing, is brief compared to a Juneau or Hoonah whale watch. My averages have only run about 50% for sighting whales in Kenai Fjords. I am always on both trips, as whales are a priority for me. Determine what your priority is?? It is possible, with TIME and knowledge to also get a brief view from your cruise ship.

Kenai Fjords is just fantastic for varied wildlife- here is a photo sample of one trip I took- http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Archived