Valdez - which hotels

cruisingw/mom

Been years since I stayed at the Totem Inn, but it was okay.

Have stayed at the Aspen properties in Juneau (it's now an Extended Stay America) and Soldotna and really enjoy them. Can say since they are built alike that the one in Valdez would be the same.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I spend my summers up country from Valdez, in a remote area, about a 4.5 hour drive, one way. When I need supplies I love to drive down to the coast and get them at Valdez. I can make it round trip in one day but it is much more enjoyable to spend the night in town, eat out at a fancy place, etc. I have found the Downtown B&B Inn to be the best. You can get a room with a private bath or a shared bath there and it is right in the middle of town with a view of the bay. Two summers ago my wife was going to join me in Valdez that fall. So, before that, I decided to plan on something a little classier, price wasn’t a big concern. So, on my next supply run I looked at and over most options, B&Bs and hotels. I finally decided the best room in the Downtown B&B Inn was just as good or better than anything else.

Although I just posted about the Downtown B&B Inn I should have mentioned something about the Best Western.

Undoubtedly, the Best Western has the premier location for a hotel in Valdez. I have stayed there dozens of times over the years. But not since it has been Best Western. It was the first hotel in the new townsite after the 1964 earthquake. It was called the Wyatt House then, after a couple named Wyatt that had been wiped out in the old townsite but got financing for this major investment in the new townsite . (Name play on the “Hyatt House”, which was the best place for Alaskans to stay at the Seattle Airport back then.) Many years later it became part of the Westmark chain. I don’t know for certain why Westmark got rid of it. Before the Best Western took over someone put a lot of money into it. I never did stay there when I thought it was in a run down condition though, but apparently it had been getting a little threadbare. So, between Westmark and the Best Western takeover, it was shut down for renovation for quite sometime. It looks great now, and has an excellent lounge and a good dining room. You can’t go wrong staying there.

It is located about 200 yards, as the crow flies, from the Downtown B&B Inn. My recommendation, do the B&B Inn .

For dinner, in the following order, Mike’s Palace, Pipeline Club, Best Western. All just a few minutes walk.

Thank you for your answers. We ended up booking at the aspen because they had the type of room available we needed.

Looking forward to spending 2 nights in Valdez and taking the stan stephans

glacier cruise.

Counting the days.

thanks again.

Archived