Restaurants in San Diego

Shari2

Try The Marine room in La Jolla. It is upscale but the ambiance is by far the best in town. It sits out over the the beach (and at high tide over the water). I have watched the grunion come in past me on one of our midnight parties there. Another old time choice is the Bali Hai on shelter Island. There are also plenty of newer restaurants downtown in the Gaslight (lamp?) area.

It depends on what kind of food you want...

Also, what part of town...

Near the pier, Anthony's Fish Grotto (Harbor Drive, near the pier) is an old San Diego standby...

My suggestion is to wander the Gaslamp District (On the edge of Downtown, near Horton Plaza--not far from the pier...Lots of small restaurants there...check out menus in the windows and follow your nose...Croce's is the family restaurant of the late singer Jim Croce...I had a danged good meal last time down at The Yard...

If you're up in Pacific Beach and want something super-casual, check out Fillippi's...

I must be tired...I can't think of any more right now...

La Jolla's got the Hard Rock Cafe (like you can't find that everywhere)...

Actually.. They're all over San Diego..

There's a Fillippi's about 6 or 7 blocks from the pier in "Little Italy", in fact the Fillippi's in Little Italy is the original Fillippi's, and one of the first italian restaurants in San Diego, it's at least 60 or 70 years old , and has a small italian market in the front of the restaurant.. Very Old and Very Cool !!

Just a Thought..

Srpilo

Thanks for the information, Saltwater Two, Sailing Doug, and Bruin Steve. I love seafood, and my SIL, who will be along with us, doesn't care for it, so I am looking for good seafood and restaurants that have a good variety of foods on the menu. I will put these down on my list. I'll have to check out the gaslamp district. My SIL should be able to find a restaurant that she likes there. Thanks again!

Actually.. They're all over San Diego..

There's a Fillippi's about 6 or 7 blocks from the pier in "Little Italy", in fact the Fillippi's in Little Italy is the original Fillippi's, and one of the first italian restaurants in San Diego, it's at least 60 or 70 years old , and has a small italian market in the front of the restaurant.. Very Old and Very Cool !!

You know, I actually know that...I've eaten in other Fillippi's...I was just thinking about the one in PB because that's the one I've been in most recently...With a daughter at UCSD and a beach house in La Jolla, I'm usually a little to the north...heck, I'm probably better at naming UCSD college hangouts...or restaurants at UTC (My daughter is hooked on the guacamole at Cozymel's at UTC)...and I know where all the fast food places are near campus...

But, yes, the original Fillippi's is pretty good too...as is the one in PB...

A few nice restaurants:

The Fish Market (Harbor Drive and G Street.. Near the new Midway).. Great seafood and an outdoor deck that reminds you of being on a cruise ship!

The Prado in Balboa Park... Wonderful restaurant with a Calfornia Casual feel, varied menu and terrific margaritas

Trattoria Fantastico in Little Italy... Nice Italian in a cute little neighborhood

For dessert try 'Extrordinary Desserts' Absolutely wonderful!

San Diego is blessed with a lot of good restaurants, but the service levels can be frustrating!

Hi Tom...we will be staying at the Sheraton by the airport. We won't have a car; we will be sharing cabs with my SIL and her husband unless the guys change their mind about renting a car, but I doubt it. :D

Can you also give me an idea of the average temperature in December? Thanks for replying!!!

Hash House A Go Go is a great restaraunt in the Hillcrest district of San Diego. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, although we've only been there for dinner. Entree's easily serve two as do the appetizers. Fried chicken and bacon waffles are great.

hashhouseagogo.com

3628 Fifth Avenue

Regards

One of my favorite meals ever in San Diego was take-out from Aldabertos on Point Loma, then drove to the park on Shelter Island and sat on the bench right on the water front.

Also really hard to beat Miguel's on Coronado!

Theron

Thanks, Everyone!

I only wish we were staying more than two days with all these neat places to go.

KellyJean...thanks for the menu to Rockin' Baja Lobster...everything sounds awesome!!!!

We just ate a wonderful meal at Lou & Mickeys at the entrance to the Gaslamp area. The menu was really varied with lots of beef and seafood choices. There is also a Rockin' Baja Lobster in the Gaslamp which is closed right now due to a fire but should open soon as they have ads for waitstaff on the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived