Anyone taken the train from Rome Airport to dock

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes anyway.

We have booked Legend from Civitavecchia on September 29 and are trying to keep the costs down.

We are considering taking the train from the airport (Ciampino) to the dock and return, or the Terravison bus to Termini and then the train and back. Is this a bad idea? Our flight home is at 12.15 (lunch time) and I am beginning to think that we might have to stay a night in Rome in order to make the plane in plenty of time.

Any tips and help would be really appreciated as I think I have got to the point that I can't see the wood for the trees. :confused:

Well I haven´t done that, but I´ve taken the train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini when being in Rome as a port of call, not an embarkation / debarkation port.

I´m in the same situation as I´m going to sail out of Civitavecchia end of May on the Legend.

I arrive a day early in Rome, so for me it would be Roma Termini to Civitavecchia.

However I decided against the train. I think while a lot cheaper, for me it´s too much hassle with all the luggage. When I did the train it was pretty packed and hard to find a seat. I don´t want to do that with all my luggage. And then once in Civitavecchia it an about 10 minute walk from the train station to the port entrance. That one could be managed, but again you would have to lug your luggage. Anyway that takes you just to the port entrance. From there it´s difficult to impossible to walk to the ship. Streets are not good and there´s no sidewalk. Many trucks, buses and cars driving around also a lot of construction going on.

There might be a free shuttle bus by the port authority but there´s no guarantee for it as it´s not provided all the time.

When in Rome as a port of call last year we asked a few taxi drivers to take us from the ship to the train station and they wanted Euro 40 for the short trip. A rip off we of course denied.

So I arranged a private limousine for us to transfer to the port and back.

It´s of course a lot more expemsive, but worth for me because of convenience.

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes anyway.

We have booked Legend from Civitavecchia on September 29 and are trying to keep the costs down.

We are considering taking the train from the airport (Ciampino) to the dock and return' date=' or the Terravison bus to Termini and then the train and back. Is this a bad idea? Our flight home is at 12.15 (lunch time) and I am beginning to think that we might have to stay a night in Rome in order to make the plane in plenty of time.

Any tips and help would be really appreciated as I think I have got to the point that I can't see the wood for the trees. :confused:[/quote']

Yes not a problem,used many times,again this year, runs every 30 mins ticket 5 euros,get from the station,since you have cases taxi from Civitavecchia 10.

try web trenitalia for timetable.

Yes not a problem,used many times,again this year, runs every 30 mins ticket 5 euros,get from the station,since you have cases taxi from Civitavecchia 10.

try web trenitalia for timetable.

Book your return from the ship to the airport thro RCCL ,can be done onboard,if there is a problem,a taxi from civitavecchia,(always barter),cheaper than staying 1 night in Rome

How much is the cruise line's transfer?
Sue's Mom - just be aware that there are two airports in Rome - the main one is FCO Fiumicino which is where the main airlines fly into.

You are using CIA Ciampino which I think RyanAir flys to - I doubt very much if RCL will have a transfer to CIA - they will only go to FCO.

Sue's Mom - just be aware that there are two airports in Rome - the main one is FCO Fiumicino which is where the main airlines fly into.

You are using CIA Ciampino which I think RyanAir flys to - I doubt very much if RCL will have a transfer to CIA - they will only go to FCO.

Ciampino is also further away from Civitavecchia than FCO

Thanks for the info everyone. We were planning to use EasyJet to Ciampino. There seems to be so few reasonably priced airlines that fly into Rome. Our friends are flying with Lufthansa and having to change in Munich, I think. The total time between airports is over 5 hours for what should be a journey time of approximately half that time and they are paying twice the price!

So I'm off now to do some more research. May be the train to Termini and then taxi transport to the port.

If there is a train from CIA into Roma Termini then it will be easy to swap onto a train there down to Civitavecchia

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Trains down to Civitavecchia are very frequent and take about an hour. This topic has been covered many times over on the Europe boards - the only down side is that you are hauling your luggage up and down stairs - but the cheap airfare makes up for that !

Thanks for the info everyone. We were planning to use EasyJet to Ciampino. There seems to be so few reasonably priced airlines that fly into Rome. Our friends are flying with Lufthansa and having to change in Munich' date=' I think. The total time between airports is over 5 hours for what should be a journey time of approximately half that time and they are paying twice the price!

[b']So I'm off now to do some more research. May be the train to Termini and then taxi transport to the port[/b].

If that´s what you finally consider, have a look at private limo services, you can google them and find a lot. The price will be not much different between starting at the airport or at Termini.

Just be aware that the train station is easily a mile walk from the port and taxis are usually not available, so you'll be hauling all your luggage by hand for about a mile. I'd advise you find another way to get to and from the port.

Archived