burnt on the miracle

frameking

Just sailed on the miracle july 24-31. What a beautiful ship, trip, the best yet. 1 drawback. As I was adding water to the rocks in the sauna, a huge burst of steam came up and scorched my hand. I didn't let it ruin my trip, but I am hurting now, and have notified carnival they should have warning signs in the saunas, or take the water buckets and ladles out. Working on at least a free cruise also.:(

Sorry to hear you got injured on the cruise. Hope you asked about filling out an incident report and showed someone your burns before you got off the ship. It might come in handy while your "working on" getting that Free Cruise.

I can't help but ask this question:

What did you think would happen if you poured water over rocks heated to 300+ degrees?

Common sence. You have to take responsibility for your own injury. It's like lighting a fire, first the side closest to you, and then burning yourself reaching across the flames to light the other side. Must be the Match companies fault.

Please remember our guidelines:

Harassment, Flaming and Trolls The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster personally. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation will be removed.

Multiple occurrences of harassment/flaming may result in your loss of posting privileges on our message boards.

Only my opinion...but, I don't think you should get any compensation, unless perhaps the medical attention you rec'd on board. I would agree with venture man 2000 that common sense should say putting water on hot rocks will cause steam. If anything, this is a testament to the fact that the sauna was probably already hot enough and was working really really well and not wimpy like many land based spas that you may have experienced in the past. I have always wondered why folks would feel comfortable pouring water into an electical heater......

I'm sorry you were hurt:( , but I'm not sure that Carnival will see it your way. I'm thinking that you took on a certain amount of risk by pouring the water on the rocks. But if the unit was broken or defective in some way and that caused the burn then in that case Carnival would be at fault.

I have been a firefighter for going on 18 years .

three words when it comes to an injury

Documentation, Documentation , Documentation.

You get hurt on the job, (or in your case on Carnival Property) you see a doctor and get it written down. Because if it turns into something serious (God Forbid) you don't have a prayer when it comes to compensation, or disability (again God forbid) or any of that.

Maybe you would have been better off going to the vacatiob club meeting rather than the sauna ?

You have negated any possible remedy you may have been entitled to by your inflated and publicized wish for more free product that you allege has caused you such harm. Ask for a discount in the vacation club. You get early boarding privileges.

"OIA"

only in America

As I was adding water to the rocks in the sauna, a huge burst of steam came up and scorched my hand. I didn't let it ruin my trip, but I am hurting now, and have notified carnival they should have warning signs in the saunas, or take the water buckets and ladles out. Working on at least a free cruise also.:(

Sorry that the OP burned his/her self, but a "free cruise" is rediculous.

Entitled why??

I agree that documentation is the key here... If the burn was this severe, you should have let someone know and had the physician on board document this... Documentation is key in everything, without it many times you don't have a leg to stand on. You can always try to send in a claim (I think you have 30 days), but I'm not sure if you will hear anything back... Who knows, they may send you a bottle of champagne on your next cruise... Probably not a free cruise though. Sounds like you still had a great time, so that is a good thing!!!!!

13. (a)Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship's physician, nurse and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either express or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest's baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest's sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest.

don't get me started on the mcdonald's thing. oh! i burned my mouth on my pizza - maybe pizza hut will set me up for life, too!

well, i think a warning sign would be in order and maybe not charge you for your dr visit, but i would be surprised to get any more than a discount on a future cruise. actually, i would be surprised to get that, but they may consider something as a good will gesture.

now, if you had spilled your hot coffee, i would tell you to go jump in the ocean!

good luck anyway.

Do you think that sauna was somehow set "too high" or defective in any way?

Did you pour the water on at a weird angle? In other words, WHY did a huge burst of steam come up and burn you? I mean, lots of people take saunas and add water every day and don't get scalded, do you know why it happened to you? If it was a defect in the sauna, they should be held accountable. If you just did it "wrong" then it might be your own fault?? Do you know??

The problem is, now you are OFF the ship, didn't document anything, and don't have access to the sauna. Was there a sign around that warned that it could be "hot?". Unfortunately, you should have filed a complaint, or at least filled out some paperwork.

It's odd that they didn't do any paperwork. The door on our cabin cut my husbands big toe, gashed it actually, and security had to come and check it out and everything. It bled EVERYWHERE! ewwww. We did go to the Dr., and documented it, but since it was kind of his own fault, we didn't complain about their sharp doors.

Working on at least a free cruise also.:(

I think a free cruise is a little much, but would expect that you will be getting a letter for 15% off...... pretty much standard. Did you notify the Purser's desk of the accident? They do document any and all complaints.

twice. The first time the sent me away because it did not look that bad. The next day my hand was a big nasty blister. They did not, however, fill out any paperwork.

Blistering involves a second degree burn, and your health records from your visit at the infirmary should substantiate the injury. Request a copy of your health record......You may have to pay a fee to have it copied, but you are most likely entitled to a copy. I doubt that a free cruise is in order, but you may be successful in recovering your cost in caring for the injury.

You poured the water, how is it the cruise lines fault? Why should they compensate you for anything?

What is the world coming to when people make a bad decision, get injured, then they want to blame someone else for it?

Fausto

after reading most of the replies on this board, I do understand that I was indeed the one who poured the water on the rocks. I do not plan on suing Carnival, as I have never sued anyone in my life. I do, however, plan on writing them a more detailed letter, first complementing them on the outstanding cruise that my family and I had. I will also let them know once again of the issue with the steam burn possibility in the sauna, so future guests are not affected. Anything they wish to do for my positive comments, safety suggestions, or the combination of both, will be gratiously accepted. (including nothing) I will be booking my next carnival cruise very soon, and plan on paying for it myself. The "working on a free cruise" comment was out of character.

after reading most of the replies on this board, I do understand that I was indeed the one who poured the water on the rocks. I do not plan on suing Carnival, as I have never sued anyone in my life. I do, however, plan on writing them a more detailed letter, first complementing them on the outstanding cruise that my family and I had. I will also let them know once again of the issue with the steam burn possibility in the sauna, so future guests are not affected. Anything they wish to do for my positive comments, safety suggestions, or the combination of both, will be gratiously accepted. (including nothing) I will be booking my next carnival cruise very soon, and plan on paying for it myself. The "working on a free cruise" comment was out of character.

I'm glad that your concern is for future guests. They are just too many people in the world who want to file complaints about anything just to get something discounted or free. I hope your hand is well healed and your next cruise is a good one.

Ok, I've seen the references to the McDonald's case in this thread. As a lawyer (both plaintiff and defense), I should tell you some facts that don't get reported about that case.

McDonald's coffee wasn't just hot, it was HOT! I don't recall the specific temperature, but McDonald's own safety experts had warned that the coffee was too hot. It was at a temperature far above what you get with your home coffee maker, or even at many other restaurants.

IIRC, the person on whom it was spilled -- had second and first degree burns (with burns, I can never remember if 1st is the worst or if 3rd is the worst, but I'm looking for the most severe).

So, in short, McDonald's had a product that they had been warned was dangerous, that could cause severe burns, and they did nothing about it. That's why they were found to have gross disregard for safety and why a jury awarded punitive damages to the plaintiff.

Now for the op, don't take this as legal advice, but I don't think she has a leg to stand on. There's no way to make steam more safe. You go to a sauna for the express purpose of being exposed to steam. Everyone knows that steam is hot. After all, it's at least at 212 degrees farenheit. Just my two cents, and, like I said, this should not be construed as legal advice.

Archived