Galapagos/Xpedition

Luvs2trvl

For those that have gone with Celebrity to the Galapagos, did you look into Linblad tours also? If so, what made you decide to go with X? Mom and I are going to do this next year, but haven't decided which tour company to go with. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Lindblad was tempting, but more expensive (bottom line) and less inclusive as far as air arrangements and time in Quito. The big thing for us was the fact that they include programs for children and therefore have more families on board. My husband and I have a low tolerance for children and we feel that this trip really isn't suitable for most children. There are exceptions, but we didn't want to risk getting stuck on a ship with kids that really didn't want to be there. When we saw one of the Lindblad ships in Baltra, we were happy about our decision since it looked to be in pretty rough shape.

Thank you so much for your input. I have a question about the Zodiacs they use for the excursions. Do they have a small ladder to get in and out of? I can't remember which line does. I think it would be easier for Mom to get in and out of.

Can't wait to look at your photos.

Can anyone tell me what kind of snorkels they provide on the Xpedition -- open tube or dry snorkel? I'm trying to decide if it is worth taking my own snorkel.

Thank you!

I would only use my own snorkel. It does not take up a lot of room in the luggage, and I feel more comfortable knowing that I am the only one that have used it. Just my own thought.

I would only use my own snorkel. It does not take up a lot of room in the luggage, and I feel more comfortable knowing that I am the only one that have used it. Just my own thought.

We must absolutely second that. Several years ago while on the island of Maui we went on a snorkeling tour. We had to rent the snorkels as this was our first time to snorkel. We picked up the snorkels the day before the actual trip. That evening we decided to clean them ourselves. These had been sanitized, cleaned, etc., etc., by the tour group. You would not believe all the gunk we cleaned out of the mouthpieces. We spent two hours working on them. UGH!!!! After the tour we immediately bought our own snorkels. Since then we have upgraded them to very good ones. We always take our snorkels (and masks) on all cruises, even if we don't plan in advance to snorkel.

Thank you so much for your input. I have a question about the Zodiacs they use for the excursions. Do they have a small ladder to get in and out of? I can't remember which line does. I think it would be easier for Mom to get in and out of.

Can't wait to look at your photos.

I do remember a small ladder being used to reboard the zodiac after the ocean snorkel. They also have a platform on the bow of the zodiac for dry landings - you essentially step on and off. Wet landings are typically no more than knee deep.

Frank

Just returned from the xpedition to the Galapagos: March 9-19. It was fabulous -a class act from beginning to end . The naturalists were great, as were the excursions, and we were delighted to have a beautiful boat to return to each day. Boarding the zodiacs was easy from the boat and onto dry and wet landings. After deep water snorkels there was a ladder. Getting back on the zodiac from a wet landing was sometimes a little difficult, especially with short legs, but everyone made it and the staff was very helpful. Don't think about it. GO.

JUdy

We must absolutely second that. Several years ago while on the island of Maui we went on a snorkeling tour. We had to rent the snorkels as this was our first time to snorkel. We picked up the snorkels the day before the actual trip. That evening we decided to clean them ourselves. These had been sanitized, cleaned, etc., etc., by the tour group. You would not believe all the gunk we cleaned out of the mouthpieces. We spent two hours working on them. UGH!!!! After the tour we immediately bought our own snorkels. Since then we have upgraded them to very good ones. We always take our snorkels (and masks) on all cruises, even if we don't plan in advance to snorkel.

My husband and I have never been snorkling before, but plan to do so on our trip to the Galapagos on August 31, 2008. Reading the threads here, you suggest that we should buy our own snorkles - are they expensive? What is the difference between open snorkles and dry snorkles?

To anyone that has gone on this trip: how was the gear that they provide you with? If you had to do it over again, would you bring our own??

Can't wait to go - Thanks!

Tricia :)

For the poster who did not know, a "dry" snorkel has a valve which closes as water rises along the tube, closing it off, and enabling you to dive more easily. An "open tube" is just that - water can enter the tio of the tube.

HOWEVER, my personal experience with my dry snorkel on our Xpedition cruise was bad, since surface waves closed the tube so quickly that I could not use it at all, and had to go to a shio supplied open tube.

I returned 2 weeks ago and I am also a diver. A dry snorkel is one that has a ball float on the end. If you go under the water or a wave comes over you the ball blocks off the end of the snorkel, hence no water in the tube. If you do not have this then the snorkel fills with water and before you take your next breath you have to blow out to clear the snorkel. If you decide to buy your own snorkel I would suggest you do not get a dry snorkel but get one with a purge valve. A purge valve is a little valve towards the bottom of the snorkel, basically at the bottom of the "U" shape. If the snorkel fills with water when you blow out the water easily exits throught this purge valve. If you don't have a purge valve then you need a really good "blow" to force the water out of the tube. The water was so calm that I don't think you need anything other than the ships supplied gear.

Some people prefer their own snorkel because they are rather inexpensive and then they don't have to be concerned whether they were properly cleaned/disinfected between users. I am a little more on the "who cares" side and although I own my own equipment I did not bring it with me. Their mask/fins/snorkel were fine. Their wet suits are designed for normal size people. If you weigh more than about 250 as a man or 200 as a woman you will have a hard time getting a suit that fits you. I found that a suit was not needed as the water was warm, but to each their own.

Snorkels cost about $7-$12. I have had success ordering online from www.leisurepro.com If you do get your own snorkel you should also get a snorkel keeper. This is the little device that attaches your snorkel to your mask. It is possible that the snorkel keeper that the ship has may not work properly on your own snorkel.

Archived