Beyond Gaido's: Galveston Good Eats!

LNLisa

After some cajoling, I finally got my sister to make a post of her favorite Galveston restaurants. She posted this in our Roll Call Thread, and I'm cross posting it here for a wider discussion. We'd love to hear more ideas.

(Btw, When Julie comments on Guidos, she is replying to my earlier comment.)

I lived on Galveston island for 4 years, but I mostly went out for lunch, and now I vanpool to work, so the restraunts I go to most are within walking distance.

I have never actually been to Guido's. The restraunt next door (Casey's) is supposed to share the same kitchen, but be a little cheaper. I thought it was ok, but for lunch it is not really worth the effort it took to drive there, so I have not been back in several years.

The restraunts Lisa mentioned in a previous post were The Original (mexican), Sunflower Bakery, and Fisherman's Wharf.

The Original is my favorite mexican restraunt ever! I love the salsa, which they serve in smaller individual cups, so everyone gets their own. It's not incredibly hot, and they put lots of cillantro in it for flavor. I love to get the chicken fajita quesadillas which you can get as a plate with rice and beans. They put mushrooms, grilled onions, and bell peppers in the quesadilla with the chicken and cheese, so they are really good.

The Sunflower Bakery is a local known treasure. They have incredibly fresh sandwhiches that you can get on a variety of their home made breads. My favorite is the turkey bacon avacado. They also have a delicious assortment of desserts that are very reasonably priced. (The ecclaire is only $1.50 and it is very worth it!)

Both of these restraunts are on 14th street which is quite a walk from the harbour. On a nice day it is worth it to walk because of all the Victorian homes on the way there, but otherwise plan to drive.

Fisherman's Wharf is right on the harbour. They do not have a lunch menu, so I only go when out of town guests come to visit. It is really good, but a little pricey for everyday.

Some other restraunts I like are:

Yaga's - located on the Strand. Hurricane Rita knocked their outside wall down, so they have been closed for more than a year, but they opened up again a month or two ago better than ever. I like the Hippie burger with mushrooms and cheese. They also will have live music on the weekends, and can develop quite the party atmosphere.

Fuddrucker's - located on the strand. This is a chain burger restraunt. It is about the same as all other Fuddrucker's and it is really close to the Harbour.

Waterwall - located on the strand. This is another good burger place and a little cheaper than some of the others. They have an outdoor area with a wall water fountain that is really nice in the spring when the weather is good.

Rudy & Pacos - located downtown 21st and Church. South American restraunt, but on Wednesday's they have a chicken fried steak lunch special that is really good. They serve free plantains and Paco's pico to everyone and are really good.

Skybar - located downtown 21st and Church. Sushi bar. I don't like Sushi, but everyone who does loves this place.

Saltwater Grill - located downtown 21st and Church. Mainly Seafood Grill. The Lobster bisque is really good, so I usually get the soup and salad. This is more of a special occaison lunch restraunt.

Dibella's - located 31st and Ave O. This is a local favorite italian restraunt. It is fairly small, but is really good! Grilled pork chops with salad and pasta, a Wednesday special, is my favorite.

Marios - located on the seawall around 14th street. Italian restraunt with an emphisis on pizza. They have a really good lunch buffet Monday thru Friday.

Anyway, that is it for now. I hope you find it useful.

Joe's Crab Shack 20th & Wharf, yeah I know it's a chain, but it's right on the water by the shrimp boats with birds galore, Laughing Gulls, Egrets, Pelicans, Cormorants etc. In other words, a great place to go if you have kids, or just enjoy birding. Fisherman's Wharf right by the terminals because the Elissa (three mast Braque) is docked there.

For really good Italian, try Luigi's 24th and Strand. Clary's (sea food) is good out on Teichman Rd., Fishtales 25th & Seawall.

There are many more, a lot of good Mexican restaurants, the Salt Grass Steak House for meat lovers, try their Romano Potatoes.

And of course, Gaido's with one of the most extensive seafood menus on the Gulf Coast.

And of course, Gaido's with one of the most extensive seafood menus on the Gulf Coast.

I misspelled it, didn't I? And I thought I double checked...ah well.

I actually liked Casey's (meals include a free dessert! :D) I've just been astonished on these boards how the first restaurant that everyone lists is Gaido's. There are so many good restaurants and good seafood restaurants too in Galveston. I was surprised not to see more variety in the recommendations.

Joe's Crab Shack 20th & Wharf, yeah I know it's a chain, but it's right on the water by the shrimp boats with birds galore, Laughing Gulls, Egrets, Pelicans, Cormorants etc. In other words, a great place to go if you have kids, or just enjoy birding.

I love Joe's Crab Shack! My nieces and nephews really like it too,especially when the wait-staff sings and dances.

Of the ones that Julie listed, the Original is my favorite too. I can't remember what I usually get, but every time that I've eaten there, I've enjoyed it.

FishTales is a favorite for seafood and sitting on the balcony on a nice day watching the Gulf roll in.

Also try Pic's on 45th or the new - haven't been there yet myself - The Market on Avenue L.....a bit of gourmet is coming to Galveston!!!

Don't forget the Mosquito Cafe, also on 14th Street near the Original mexican and Sunflower Bakery.

So much food...so little time!

When we go down for a weekend, we ALWAYS go to Clary's. It's the opposite of a chain. Nice family owned seafood restaurant. I ought to quit pushing it or we won't be able to get in. Not that I'm chain-bashing. We love Joe's, Landry's, Fudrucker's, etc., but we can eat at those near home! We also hit the Ocean Grill (used to be Shrimp Boat) for the view and decent food, but I've heard it's "closed for remodelling". Anybody heard anything about that?

We've eaten at Gaido's a couple of time, but didn't feel like it was worth the LONG wait. Clary's takes reservations.

Three cheers for . . .

Rudy & Paco's

The Sunflower Bakery

DiBella's

The Spot

Clary's

Pics on 45th

Casey's

Gaido's

For local flare, we also love . . .

El Nopalito (6 a.m. until 2 p.m. only because of bad, bad neighborhood, but it's safe during those times-- Muy delicioso!)

La Estacion (Not open for dinner either, although the neighborhood is not the reason.)

Sonny's Place (Not fancy, food great, medical student hangout)

Queen's Bar-B-Que

Gino's

For a good burger...try The Spot. It's right on Seawall, tasty stuff.

http://www.thespotgalveston.com/

I also like Salsa's and Tortuga for Mexican food.

I like the Spot too, and I'm not even much of a hamburger fan but the food is that good.

Tortuga has these great...I think they're called Ranchero Fajitas? They're fajitas with lots of grilled veggies like peppers and mushrooms. I really enjoy that dish. Unfortunately, the Tortuga's in Houston seemed to have disappeared.

I have BBQ on the brain (it's close to dinnertime here). I know that steak houses have been mentioned already, but are there any good BBQ restaurants in Galveston? I know there is a Luther's on Nasa Road 1 at I-45, but that's a ways away.

:cool:

You mean Pappas Barbecue, don't you? I think Luther's was completely bought out.

The entire company was bought out? Please no! I mean, I like Pappas Barbecue, but Luther's is a necessity of life! :(

The entire company was bought out? Please no! I mean, I like Pappas Barbecue, but Luther's is a necessity of life! :(

I'm pretty sure. Every Luther's I've seen lately is a Pappas. If it's I-45 at Nasa Rd one in Webster, that's now a Pappas according to their website.

I'm pretty sure. Every Luther's I've seen lately is a Pappas. If it's I-45 at Nasa Rd one in Webster, that's now a Pappas according to their website.

I can confirm that the former Luther's in Webster is now Pappas BBQ. I haven't heard good reviews from friends so I haven't tried it.

I know that steak houses have been mentioned already, but are there any good BBQ restaurants in Galveston? I know there is a Luther's on Nasa Road 1 at I-45, but that's a ways away.

:cool:

Queen's Bar-B-Que in Galveston is great!

I haven't heard good reviews from friends so I haven't tried it.

Pappas has a BBQ topped salad that is inexpensive and good, but that's the only reason we ever go there. I'm seriously sad about Luthers! I loved their onion rings and their BBQ topped baked potatoes. :(

Fortunately, here in Austin we have Rudy's and not too far away, the Saltlick, so I can get good BBQ easily.

MellowMel, Where is Queen's BBQ?

Pappas has a BBQ topped salad that is inexpensive and good, but that's the only reason we ever go there. I'm seriously sad about Luthers! I loved their onion rings and their BBQ topped baked potatoes. :(

Fortunately, here in Austin we have Rudy's and not too far away, the Saltlick, so I can get good BBQ easily.

MellowMel, Where is Queen's BBQ?

Queen's 3428 Av S, Galveston

Having lived all over Texas, I have gotten to enjoy some of the best, Saltlick in Driftwood, Black's in Lockheart, Sutphen's in Borger, any of the Mikeska's are good, and a real love for Elgin Hotguts from http://www.texasbbqtrail.com/elgin.php

In our area, I suggest Joe's Southwest in Alvin, or Grand Prize in Texas City.

I haven't been to Joe's in a few years, but it was great when I did. Had a LOT of Nolan Ryan memorabilia, as I remember. For any non-Texans, he's from that area and had a home very nearby (may still for all I know). I think he's friends with Joe.

Archived