Just off Galaxy March 16-26 Sailing

nevis92

The ship looks great. No signs of age. Stratosphere Lounge windows are going to replaced! There were large wooden crates loaded onto the 12th floor deck in San Juan that are some of the windows. They were supposed to be installed in Barbados because of that port's availability of cranes which will be needed. They were never installed and the crates were still sitting on the deck when we disembarked this morning. Oasis pool dome was operational. Savoy Lounge was closed during the first half of the cruise to replace all the lighting. Stratosphere was closed during the second half for the same.

The staff and the food were outstanding.

The ship looks great. No signs of age. Stratosphere Lounge windows are going to replaced! There were large wooden crates loaded onto the 12th floor deck in San Juan that are some of the windows. They were supposed to be installed in Barbados because of that port's availability of cranes which will be needed. They were never installed and the crates were still sitting on the deck when we disembarked this morning. Oasis pool dome was operational. Savoy Lounge was closed during the first half of the cruise to replace all the lighting. Stratosphere was closed during the second half for the same.

The staff and the food were outstanding.

Yep. We sailed Galaxy on March 5 for 12 nights and she is looking better all the time. :)

Donna, Galaxy is not as big as The M Class vessels. The thallassotherapy pool is not open to everyone like it is on Connie and the other M ships. If you have a suite you'll have free entrance or you can buy passes (if you will) to the T-pool.

I would bet that you'll love Galaxy as much as Connie.

We were on infinity and didn't like it as much as Century and Galaxy.

Galaxy is a very well laid out vessel and the service is top notch.:D

I know it has already been mentioned here, but I was very impressed with the workout room. All brand new, state of the art equipment. There are interactive touch-screens on the treadmills that allow you to watch television. The TV channels were not yet hooked up to them but should be soon. The carpet is brand new as well.

We just arrived home today from the same cruise. It's raining and snowing. ugh!

The cruise was flawless! Everything was just great and we're counting down to next year!

We heard that the Galaxy was doing this cruise it's on now and then off to Barbados for 4 weeks as a hotel for the Cricket World Cup. We have no idea if the info is accurate.

I agree completely, this was one of the best cruises ever. I know I posted I didn't care for the CD but that doesn't make our cruise.

Yes, the windows were sitting there when we left so I hope you guys after us enjoyed them. The food was wonderful, not much different from when Michel Roux had the concession. One thing that was great was the menu now has posted on the left side the chef's suggestions plus all the things available every night of the cruise if you don't care for the main menu on the right. Loved my shrimp cocktail every night and the NY steaks were out of the world, cooked to your perfection.

Hang out at the Sky Bar, or if you can find Orville the Booze Doctor tell him the crew from the 3/16 cruise say hi and we miss him terribly. He has to have been the best bartender we've EVER had.

The weather cooperated completely. It was perfect. Sadly about 100 people missed the ship in San Juan due to ice in the Northeast. Many caught up after 2 or 3 days but what a bummer.

The ship is in great shape, the crew is fantastic, friendly and you get the Celebrity treatment. We even ran into the security officer who was with us on Summit in Hawaii last year. Happy, Happy!!!

All in all, anyone sailing Galaxy should be pleased with the experience. Oh yes, the aft pool cover DID work and it was nice to have when the sun was beating thru.

Pat C

Hi Donna

The Martini Bar is on deck 5 in front of the Orion Restaurant. The cabaret entertainer there (Steve) was excellent and we spent many pre-dinner nights there. He does R&R with the best of them! Only thing I didn't care for was it was very "enclosed". Felt very confined, especially when a lot of people tried to get in to sit down. We then went to the Savoy on many nights and loved it there. It was extremelyl quiet and peaceful before going to dinner and it's right above on deck 7.

Now, our favorite bar - the Sky Bar:D It's on deck 12 right outside the suites. This was not good for us as we had SS 1218 and could walk right out and then roll right home:p It was never crowded except for what the bartender, Orville, called his "regulars". We never sit at a bar for any length of time, especially on a cruise but this time we were there from 4 to 6 (open to close) and had the best time ever. If you run into Orville, he's also at the Rendevous during dinners and the Strat or Savoy at night, say hi for us. He's the best.

Pat

Well this cruise just keeps sounding better and better. :D How nice of them to set up a bar, right outside our suite, outside, sightly away from the pool crowd, at the time we like it.

Can you tell me what time they came around with the tea cart?

Also, how did you like that cutout on your balcony? We've reserved 1209, but I'm wondering if it's nice to have that cut out to see forward(or backwards) when you're sailing. :)

Is there anything I can bring for Orville?

Also, did you use the T-Pool?

I know we'll have breakfast on the veranda every morning, but did you ever have dinner out there?

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Hi Donna

The Martini Bar is on deck 5 in front of the Orion Restaurant. The cabaret entertainer there (Steve) was excellent and we spent many pre-dinner nights there. He does R&R with the best of them! Only thing I didn't care for was it was very "enclosed". Felt very confined, especially when a lot of people tried to get in to sit down. We then went to the Savoy on many nights and loved it there. It was extremelyl quiet and peaceful before going to dinner and it's right above on deck 7.

Now, our favorite bar - the Sky Bar:D It's on deck 12 right outside the suites. This was not good for us as we had SS 1218 and could walk right out and then roll right home:p It was never crowded except for what the bartender, Orville, called his "regulars". We never sit at a bar for any length of time, especially on a cruise but this time we were there from 4 to 6 (open to close) and had the best time ever. If you run into Orville, he's also at the Rendevous during dinners and the Strat or Savoy at night, say hi for us. He's the best.

Pat

Thanks for all your excellent info. I'm taking the Galaxy on 9/3 and I am looking forward to enjoying the ship. We have sailed on the Connie and Millie and loved the experience. I'm sure we will feel the same about the Galaxy. Those bars sound very appealing - we'll be sure to check them out!

Gals

If you're in 1209 you can just walk right out to the Sky Bar! Orville is from Jamaica and he'll answer to the Doctor of Mixology or Booze Doctor. If you catch up with him, tell him to give you a BBC for Pat. He'll remember.

We didn't have time to do dinner on the veranda but did do breakfast and had our friends over to have lunch one day. Elvis set up the table like a 5 star restaurant and served us. What class:p

If you want to have friends in for a small gathering, ask your butler. We had 2 bottles of champagne, crackers & cheese, canapes and juice to mix with the champagne. We had a wonderful time.

You will LOVE Galaxy. I was a little leary with all the sour notes on these boards but don't worry, wish I was going back with you.

Did use the T-pool. It's very refreshing. Friends from CC said first you bake (in the sun) and then you boil (in the T-pool). They were right. Use it, you have the free time and don't have to pay for it so use whatever is provided for you guys.

Any more questions, just ask.

Pat

Because of US Airway's incompetence (starting with a mechanical issue) we were almost one of the 100 who missed the ship, but we managed to make it to San Juan before the boat left (6 hours behind our planned arrival time).

Our luggage wasn't quite so lucky. We could have gotten it in St. Lucia, if US Airway hadn't sent it to St. Thomas instead. We finally got our luggage in Aruba, EIGHT days later.

Fortunately Miguel, the concierge, was really great, and made sure we were as comfortable as possible.

Dennis

Sailed on Galaxy 3/16. I too, was leary after all the initial negative posts. We were pleasantly surprised in every way. The food was the best ever on Celebrity, the carpeting was new, and staircases were being recarpeted late at night. Bedding was new and very comfortable. Savoy was closed early in trip, but it reopened , all done over, and then they closed the Stratosphere to work on that lounge. We had to hunt to find the boarded up window. Anyways, we had no complaints whatsoever. They were constantly cleaning, wiping down walls, etc. It was a great cruise!!

It is nice to hear that X is paying more attention to Galaxy. When we sailed her 2 yrs ago, I didn't really notice any issues except for those much talked about windows.

I am hoping that they do a refurb. a la Century...so we shall see. I will always have fond memories of the Galaxy. Nothing like honeymooning on her in the Med. It was a dream vacation.

I am sailing on RCCL in a month. Eager to compare. I almost feel like a "traitor" for not going on X!

For those of you about to sail Galaxy, you are in for a nice treat.

I am delighted to read of such positive reports about the Galaxy. It all adds to the excitement that is building up before our next trip in May. I am sure the negative feedback will now appear in relation to another ship, but the details Rick et al posted in the early part of the year re the ongoing refurb is (as we knew it would be) spot on.

For those just back we will be in 1215 - any idea who the butler is on that side of the Sky Deck and will they still be on at the end of May? I always hope for "an old friend" and love planning what I will take on board if I am to see them

AJ

All of you that have posted the updated positives of this ship. As one of you mentioned, this ship is indeed Chartered for the month of April for the Cricket World Cup and we are very fortunate to be on it for 9 days. We are a group of 30 and are looking forward to enjoying our time there. All the info about the bars is great, keep it all coming.

Thanks to all, sailig in 14 days....

Thanks to all who have posted positive reviews about the Galaxy.

No ship is perfect. No holiday is perfect. NoONE is perfect. But I am so glad to hear that X is giving the celebrity treatment to one of its oldest family members.

I am looking forward to my TA crossing in May.

Thanks again to all.

Because of US Airway's incompetence (starting with a mechanical issue) we were almost one of the 100 who missed the ship, but we managed to make it to San Juan before the boat left (6 hours behind our planned arrival time).

Our luggage wasn't quite so lucky. We could have gotten it in St. Lucia, if US Airway hadn't sent it to St. Thomas instead. We finally got our luggage in Aruba, EIGHT days later.

Fortunately Miguel, the concierge, was really great, and made sure we were as comfortable as possible.

Dennis

And my wife and I thought we had it bad because we WERE among the 100+ that missed the ship because of weather and US Airways foul-ups. But, when we met the Galaxy in St. Maarten Sunday afternoon we at least had all our luggage with us.

It was a beautiful 8 out of 10 day crusie :) we're just sorry we missed days at Tortola and St. Maarten, two of our favorites. Always next time.

Galaxy is in great shape as far as I was concerned. The crew on this ship was fantastic. We are thinking now of taking Galaxy next year to do the Med. instead of one of the M class.

Hi Willy

We were on the cruise and met you at the cc get together (we're the ones that lived near Mt. Laurel). Hope you had an uneventful trip home as opposed to the trip to the ship.

Yes, Galaxy was great and we would have no problem booking her again in the future. The crew was great and the service was top notch. No problems to talk about or complain about, you make a trip your own. Any negatives were not even mentionable.

Hope we meet again on another trip.

Pat C

Archived