Ocho Rio Beach Resorts

EMess

Hi, We are going to be spending the day at Ocho Rio. I'm not thrilled with the idea of taking my kids on a tour of the island given the crime in Jamaica. Short of staying on the ship, I was wondering if there were any "nice" resorts that welcome cruise passengers to use the beach. I'm thinking of maybe a Radisson, Beaches, Sandles, or something "Americanized" that would be easy to reach from where the ship comes in via cab. I appreciate the help.

Do a search for the Jamacia Grande. I have not been there, but after reading posts I checked with them. They have 2 pool slides for the kids. It is a 10 minute taxi ride. The lady I talked to said you could see the resort, yellow building I believe, from where you will be left off on the pier and could actrually walk to the hotel. You may not want to do that with little ones. The rate was 60 per adult but 40 for cruise ship passengers with ID. Children under 12 were less. The hotel has a website with lots of photos. If I find the address later I will post it.

Yes, we did a day at the Couples Resort when we were in Jamacia and it was wonderful. Just find the reservation number or e-mail to the resort that you would want to visit for the day, and I'm sure they would help you out! :D

Couples even had the taxi driver call her when we got into port so we felt safer taking a random taxi to the resort since it isn't the nicest of ports.

We would do it again in a second if we ever get back!

We've been there a couple of times and haven't had a problem-as long as you use good judgement. We were there in October '06 and took an excursion to Bob Marley Museum, Some old sugar cane plantation and Dunn River Falls. You're really quite safe if you do something like that and stay in a group. And your kids will LOVE climbing up the Falls! Just don't go wandering off by yourself. It is a pretty dangerous place. If you want a resort type of thing, The Radisson is right by the cruise port. We stayed there about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I think they have day passes.

If you are looking at the all-inclusive be careful. You mentioned that you had kids which means Couples and Sandals will not take you as they don’t allow children. There is a resort called FDR in Runaway Bay – a pretty easy cab ride from Ocho Rios, and they are an all-inclusive family resort. You might want to try them to see if they allow day passes.

We stayed at a tranquil little place called the Plantation Inn some years back. It seems to now be called the Royal Plantation. It had a wonderful little beach that was access controlled such that you weren't bothered by peddlers, with a small reef just 100 yards off-shore. It's been a while, but were really enjoyed it at the time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147312-d151412-Reviews-Plantation_Inn-Ocho_Rios_Jamaica.html

Yes, we did a day at the Couples Resort when we were in Jamacia and it was wonderful. Just find the reservation number or e-mail to the resort that you would want to visit for the day, and I'm sure they would help you out! :D

Couples even had the taxi driver call her when we got into port so we felt safer taking a random taxi to the resort since it isn't the nicest of ports.

We would do it again in a second if we ever get back!

Couples is an adult only resort. It is a great place, we stayed a week there, but they will not allow children. I think there is a Beaches close by. Check the website.

anyone know how much a day pass for couples is?

Thanks.

I just got an email back from couples and they quoted me $50 per person...but they only do adults I believe and they do not have any type of shuttle that runs people back to the pier but it is supposed to be rather close. I would suggest getting a card or number of the taxi driver that takes you there for your return.

Archived