Gift Cards in Port

rin1

Seeing as Travellers Checks are going the way of the Dodo, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to buy ourselves a couple of Visa (or MC) gift cards to use onshore. This way I don't have to worry about our real plastic being swiped.

Is the Caribbean considered enough outside of the U.S. that I'd have to get the traveller's version of the cards to get any actual protection if lost stolen?

Has anyone used this method of carrying a little less cash/plastic?

I'd be concerned about being able to use these in ports. I have had trouble using them here in the US at times. I would either use travelers checks and cash them onboard before going into port, or carry one credit card. Your liability when CC's are stolen are generally pretty small - if you find something you really want and the store can't run the gift card you could miss out.

In general, traveler's checks are still the way to go when you have a guarenteed way of cashing (the purser's desk). You can keep a copy of them in your safe if they're American Express and get refunded if stolen, too. I'm a bit paranoid -- keep a copy in my hotel safe and one at home with my parents just-in-case

The problem with those MC/Visa cards is....let's say the card has a balance of 25.00. You make a purchase of 30.00. You want to use the card up and pay the 5.00 cash.

You hand the cashier the card, they swipe it and it's declined. Most CC co's will happily allow you to go a reasonable amount over your limit as they will be able to charge you a hefty fee to do it. There is no way to charge you an overage fee on the gift cards so it won't happen.

There is an easy way to get around that, but I guarantee you 99 out of 100 clerks won't know how to do it. I work with 30 people. I'd guess 5 of us know how to do it. The other 25 were instructed how to do it but are too stupid to grasp the concept. :rolleyes:

In any case, in order to do it at all, you would have to know the exact balance of the GC at all times. Really a PITA if you ask me.

Archived