Just off the Mediterranea.. GREAT CRUISE!!

fatcat04

Thanks for your fabulous review and loads of information. I am about 99.9999% sure that we're going to switch from Triumph to Mediterranea for next March, based mostly on what I have read here on CC, including your review! I've been wanting to try Costa, and the itinerary and price are right for us, so I think we may go ahead and do it! (I hate that Costa leaves the Caribbean in the summer/fall!)

Can you tell me a little bit more about the shoreside registration and key process? Did you go up to the check-in desk and give them your passport, cruise docs, credit card, etc.? Did you then, in turn, receive your key cards (charge cards)? The reason I ask is because I read on another review where the key was waiting for you in the door...only one key? That confuses me...haha.

Thanks!

Thanks for your fabulous review and loads of information. I am about 99.9999% sure that we're going to switch from Triumph to Mediterranea for next March, based mostly on what I have read here on CC, including your review! I've been wanting to try Costa, and the itinerary and price are right for us, so I think we may go ahead and do it! (I hate that Costa leaves the Caribbean in the summer/fall!)

Can you tell me a little bit more about the shoreside registration and key process? Did you go up to the check-in desk and give them your passport, cruise docs, credit card, etc.? Did you then, in turn, receive your key cards (charge cards)? The reason I ask is because I read on another review where the key was waiting for you in the door...only one key? That confuses me...haha.

Thanks!

When we checked in shoreside, we gave them our documents and showed them our passports. We had already checked in for immigration on the Costa website so that info was already in their system. They just needed to confirm we were who we said we were. You are required to register 2 weeks ahead of time with immigration so put that on your list of "to do" things.

We went ahead and registered our credit card at check-in so as not to have to fool with it when we got on the ship.

When you go to your room there is a key in the door. We only ever used this key that first day when we walked in the door of our cabin. We used our "Costa Card" the rest of the time.

Each of us had our own Costa Card as that is your way on and off the boat... how they do the head count to make sure noone is getting left behind.

Costa uses the same cashless system and ID system that is on every ship now plus your card functions as a room key too.

When you get off the ship to go ashore at ports of call you must take your Costa Card which they scan both getting on and off the boat and photo ID which is looked at by security when you get back on the boat and compared to your Costa Card.. if you have a passport you must use it when getting on and off the ship.

Hope this helps :)

Ok, that makes sense--thanks for clarifying! I guess my point of confusion was whether or not the Costa cards were also room keys...now I know they are! :-)

We are definitely switching to Costa. Price is within $30 of the Carnival trip we were going on, so it's all but a done deal now. :)

Oh, I asked this on a different thread, but do you know anything about the menus at the Club Medusa specialty restaurant?

Thanks again!

Ok, that makes sense--thanks for clarifying! I guess my point of confusion was whether or not the Costa cards were also room keys...now I know they are! :-)

We are definitely switching to Costa. Price is within $30 of the Carnival trip we were going on, so it's all but a done deal now. :)

Oh, I asked this on a different thread, but do you know anything about the menus at the Club Medusa specialty restaurant?

Thanks again!

From what I can tell (but we only checked three times while on board) Club Medusa menu changes up somewhat everyday. There seemed to always be a steak and a fish offering plus other stuff like guinea fowl and veal, other than that just think lots of fancy dishes with specialty sauces. They also offer a pay menu there on top of the fixed menu. The pay menu had the lobster tails and pricey food.

I managed to get home 5 different menus for lunch and for dinner all in the main dining room. They delivered them to our room everyday. I think I have the "Today" for everyday too. I will have to go hunting.

Wow Fatcat

You are the greatest ~ this is like having our own travel guide:)

I just paid the travel ins today (since paid the deposit on Tues and want to qualify for pre-existing conditions) Now the hard part is that I have to wait. Of everyone in our family, I was maybe the staunchest carnival supporter and dh and eldest son rooting for Costa. My daughter has read your reports and I didnt want to tell my sons too far in advance, but it's so exciting hearing all these good things. I just might have to let them in on the secret.

When you mention the pay menu in the specialty restaurant, do you mean on top of the $23 (or whatever it was).

Wow Fatcat

You are the greatest ~ this is like having our own travel guide:)

I just paid the travel ins today (since paid the deposit on Tues and want to qualify for pre-existing conditions) Now the hard part is that I have to wait. Of everyone in our family, I was maybe the staunchest carnival supporter and dh and eldest son rooting for Costa. My daughter has read your reports and I didnt want to tell my sons too far in advance, but it's so exciting hearing all these good things. I just might have to let them in on the secret.

When you mention the pay menu in the specialty restaurant, do you mean on top of the $23 (or whatever it was).

This what it says in the "Today" about Club Medusa:

"Club Medusa

deck 10 Cleopatra 7:00-9:00pm

Restaurant Club Medusa offers you a aselcetion of high class specialties, scrumpulous careis taken over every detail so that you can enjoy the experience and facsination of a voyage into the world of haute cuisine. You can choose from our Menu a la Grande Carte or from the Tasting Menu. Customer Services at 7777 or the Maitre D are at your disposal for reservations. In Club Medusa Restaurant shorts and tank tops are not allowed."

Hope this helps. I never got the chance to get a Club Medusa menu or I sure would have nabbed one to share. :)

Please don't think I'm going on with a closed mind about Costa. If that was the case, I'd be on another ship. My postings to others have been to go and have fun, so that's what I intend.

This will be my 29th cruise, although I never realized I had to list previous cruises when I first logged on. Thus, I know size of rooms, service, food, etc., from other cruise lines. I also have relatives who work for some different lines, so I really am knowledgeable and know what ships to stay away from. I really hope to enjoy the Mediterranea because it will be my first Costa experience, I'm Italian, and I've been chating with some of the nicest cruisers on this website. I'm just disappointed that Costa reps gave me different information than I've been reading on-line. That's a "no-no", but it's not going to ruin my week!

Sorry if I gave the impression I was taking boxing gloves aboard instead of a toga. No way. So long as there are food and nice people, I will have fun. :)

Can I still wear my yellow lei and join the group in the Apollo lounge? Please, please, please;)

Please don't think I'm going on with a closed mind about Costa. If that was the case, I'd be on another ship. My postings to others have been to go and have fun, so that's what I intend.

This will be my 29th cruise, although I never realized I had to list previous cruises when I first logged on. Thus, I know size of rooms, service, food, etc., from other cruise lines. I also have relatives who work for some different lines, so I really am knowledgeable and know what ships to stay away from. I really hope to enjoy the Mediterranea because it will be my first Costa experience, I'm Italian, and I've been chating with some of the nicest cruisers on this website. I'm just disappointed that Costa reps gave me different information than I've been reading on-line. That's a "no-no", but it's not going to ruin my week!

Sorry if I gave the impression I was taking boxing gloves aboard instead of a toga. No way. So long as there are food and nice people, I will have fun. :)

Can I still wear my yellow lei and join the group in the Apollo lounge? Please, please, please;)

I wasnt saying the lack of cruises in your signature was a bad thing ~ I just meant that I didnt know what ships you had been on ~ older ships seem to have smaller cabins and less amenities

And I can agree, it's frustrating if you make a decision based on the info you are given..and then you find out it is wrong:(

Have a great time

It was our impression too that there was a choice of wine with the X1 package and that was disappointing. I can understand your frustration. :)

I am glad to hear that you are looking forward to your cruise, and I have no doubt that something won't be right, but whenever someone cooks,cleans, and serves me...that's heaven for a mom. So as I leave the Med you will be boarding her...so have a great cruise and I hope that you have the time of your life with great food, great weather and most of all great new friends!

Jan

FatCat04,

Thanks for all the info. We will be on the 8 April Med cruise. Did you attend any art auctions? What artists did they have?

Thanks!

You know... I am so sorry. We never made it to the art auction though I would have loved to and did admire the large assortment of artwork onboard. They had a great variety of styles. They position the art all over the common areas.. near trhe glass elevators, in the lobby, on the way to the restaurants. Really all over deck 2 and 3. I hope some folks got some great deals. :)

I would also like to reiterate that even though this cruise was listed as a Grad Cruise on www.studenttrip.com I saw NO spring break rowdies on this cruise. We heard a couple of troops of youngins (I assumed 20 somethings) running around on toga night but that was it. No vandalism, no theft, no nothing. Everyone seemed to be dressed well at dinner though there were some middle aged folks in shorts on occassion. The ports were rocking but we just stayed away form that. We were careful about all that since we had the little one. If there were crowds and crowds of Canadian young people on board, they hid themselves well cause we didn't see them.

Now that the kids know about the cruise, I can let them read the reviews etc. THey all laughed when you mentioned the crowds of Canadian young people who weren't a problem ~their response was, well of course:D Unfortunately, sometimes we have found that it's a drunk and obnoxious adult that causes the problems:(

I just switched the kids to the panorama suite beside ours (they left for school with the knowledge that I would try but couldnt guarantee) instead of the cat 9 on the other side. I worried that we would be separated if we got priority embark'n and disembark'n at the ports and they didnt. They have all agreed to get jobs this summer to help with the cost difference, so what can I say.

They do want to know if the suites have a dvd or video player. I remember the limited movie and tv selection that costa provided on the Atlantica. Not that it will kill them to be without!

I'm just dying here to see your pictures.

They do want to know if the suites have a dvd or video player. I remember the limited movie and tv selection that costa provided on the Atlantica. Not that it will kill them to be without!

I'm just dying here to see your pictures.

I can answer this one :D

They DO NOT come with a dvd player. But we packed one. Only problem is the TV onboard are only compatible with PAL compatible DVD players. PAL I think is the European DVD system. BUT our little cheapo DVD player is PAL compatible. Our only issue was that somehow in all the electronic weirdness of cables and connections we could never get color on our DVD's. My son's Mickey Mouse cartoons (which he watched a couple times during the trip, generally around nap time) where all in black and white. No biggie... sound was fine, picture was fine just no color. Never figured out why.

We got our little cheapo DVD player at Best Buy for $40. It is very small so easy to pack and so cheap if something had happened to it, we weren't gonna sweat it. It is a CyberHome CH-DVD 300S Progressive-Scan DVD Player. I think you can get them on the web at the most popular online bookseller named after the warrior women of greek myth (I don't know if I can mention the name on the board but you know who I am talking about) for like $30 US now. It is a sturdy little player that I have dragged all over the place.. Grand Canyon, Mexico, and now on Costa.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the answer ~~ I'll tell the kids they are on their own on that one. If they want to spend the money, they now know what to get and where to get it. Personally, I think there's so much to do and see that they should be old enough, to do without for a wk:rolleyes: I can see wanting it for a little one, since the tv selections arent great

Thanks for listing brand and store - if they want it, it saves lots of running around

Re: DVD's

If you purchased the DVD's in the states, chances are they are encoded using the NTSC standard, not PAL. Unless they say PAL, the standard is NTSC. If your dvd player can play pal/ntsc thats good. it was probably putting out ntsc since thats what the dvd was at. the tv was looking for pal, which is probably why you had problems. i'm puzzled as to how they played at all actually.

the difference lies in resolution and frame rate tho.

Re: DVD's

If you purchased the DVD's in the states, chances are they are encoded using the NTSC standard, not PAL. Unless they say PAL, the standard is NTSC. If your dvd player can play pal/ntsc thats good. it was probably putting out ntsc since thats what the dvd was at. the tv was looking for pal, which is probably why you had problems. i'm puzzled as to how they played at all actually.

the difference lies in resolution and frame rate tho.

I know.. very weird. I am in no way electronically inclined but this player has surprised me with it's versatility, and all for $40 :D

We only tried 2 Disney DVD's and both worked, just no color. They are listed as NTSC, Region 1 and all that. Who knows?? :)

If it had not been for kiddo I would have never thought of taking the DVD player but it came in handy a couple times. But with older kids, there is so much to do all the time, no need.

If it had not been for kiddo I would have never thought of taking the DVD player but it came in handy a couple times. But with older kids, there is so much to do all the time, no need.

I agree, there's so much to do. But they are thinking about at night (too young for the adult clubs and think they are too old for the teen club) And we know from past experience that the Movies and TV channels are pretty lame. But Im sure they will find plenty to do

I just read the horror story from the Magica (with the can. kids) Wow. I cant imagine being on that cruise. I guess that's what you meant in your post. Hope it's not like that at Christmas (altho I think the magica does draw a younger crowd, more partiers)

I cannot add a lot to Fatcat's fabulous (and accurate) review but to say each Costa cruise doesn't necessarily use the same Art Wholesalers.

Our last Mediterranea cruise we bought a large Micheal Goddard, and were hoping to add another to our collection.

This time it was Fine art Wholesalers from Pompano Beach Florida conducting the actions.

It is great to go and just watch, have some champagne...and learn about the artists!(It seems there are different artists offered each time.)

We did buy three paintings, and were delighted with the price.

They are not Goddard's but will compliment our large one.

Bottom line, I would say the best advice I could give..if you love it..buy it..if you don't..just look.

If you are looking for Costa Mediterranea photos (not suites) I have two albums on Webshots..(eastern and western Caribbean) that may help.

Our cabin was a balcony both times and almost identical.

http://family.webshots.com/album/558391502gCXSAk is this last cruise with underwater photos added.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/547557271ztcuto is the Eastern Caribbean last spring with different Mediterranea shots including the cabin.

They have improved the beds considerably..and it remains a spotless and "fun ship" with lots going on..or, many places for quiet times to enjoy the voyage.

Looking forward to more photos from everyone!:D

They have improved the beds considerably..and it remains a spotless and "fun ship" with lots going on..or, many places for quiet times to enjoy the voyage.

Looking forward to more photos from everyone!:D

You are so right. The beds were very comfy. I was concerned with some of the other reports. But yes indeed, whatever they did back at the beginning of the year, I suppose adding new mattresses, worked well as we slept like sleepy logs. :D

I was on the Jan 14 to 21 cruise.Went with 30 people had a great time . be advised some of the rooms with the 6000 numbers have a blocked view due to the life boats blocking your view. You have double doors that open but your view is limited. Was anyone on this cruise?

I was on the Jan 14 to 21 cruise.Went with 30 people had a great time . be advised some of the rooms with the 6000 numbers have a blocked view due to the life boats blocking your view. You have double doors that open but your view is limited. Was anyone on this cruise?

Please let me know the room numbers so I will not book them. I loved deck 6 Narciso as it was between 2 cabin floors.. no noise to speak of except closing balcony doors. :)

On the deck plan I have seen the only balcony rooms listed as having an "obstructed view" are on deck 5, Orfeo. 5142-5191 and then 5224-5239 and then 5241, 5243, 5245. These are also the cheapest balcony rooms (cat 6). Just curious because we were on Deck 6 right above the back end of lifeboat #3 and from our view of the life boats we were well enough above them to not have any issues with blocking. Is it different at the back of the boat??

Our outside cabins on Carnival and Royal Caribbean appear to be larger than what we see we are getting on our 4/8 cruise. At least, the Costa balcony has been described as "less roomy", and we were told there is less room in the cabin. I hope it is not too crowded for 3.

You won't notice any difference in cabin size between Costa and Carnival. The Magica is built on the same platform as the Carnival Conquest class, and the Med is built on the same platform as the Carnival Spirit class

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great time. Girls annual get away cruise. 4 girls in 2 rooms. We had inside cabins. Lots of room. Great that empty luggage fit under bed-plus to me!! Event he bathroom was large, compared to the two Carnival cruises I have been on. Our cabin Steward was great. Our room was ALWAYS clean. He must have know exactly when we left. Clean towels, shower cleaned, wastebasket emptied, tidied up our messy countertops in room. Always pleasant. We went to the breakfast buffet daily. The room service was available. But with an inside cabin, what's the point. We enJoyed the view at the table at the buffet.

Food was great!!! Dinner had lots of choices. I always had the chilled soup-wonderful nightly. There was a choice of seafood nightly. Lamb, steak and pork were fantastic. There was always chicken breast and a few things always available upon request daily. Service was great. We had a great time with the matrade Sp?) He always spoke and joked with us.

Key West was Okay. We took a train/trolley tour to see the sites. Walked to the Southern most point for the must have picture. Also had keylime pie on a stick at the Blonde Giraffe. A must is the Kino Sandal shop. $10 for the best feeling leather inn house made flip flops. Can't remember where they are, not far off Duval. We were told to find them, just happened upon them. They have an online store kinosandals.com. Only take cash, but worth it!!!!:o:D

Grand Cayman was okay. The tender into the port was not great, but the waves were high. The ship cancelled the snorkeling /stingray city tours that morning. We had one booked independently. The seas were very rough and we had a few problems at Sting Ray City getting the anchor in-30 minutes later and green around the gills. We got off the boat. The sting rays were very interesting and heavy!!! To bad the weather was bad-we kept getting about knocked over by the waves. But we couldn't control the weather.

Roatan Honduras was beautiful. We booked a thru Roatan Cab Tours. It was pouring rain when we got in our car. But we were dressed in our swim suits undr eour slothes so who cared!!! We had a driver for the day for $10 a person. Audra took us where ever we wanted. We had a stop at a small shop away from the port for some gifts... Then a tour of the island and then a stop at a very remote cove for some snorkeling and lunch out over the water. I loved the snorkeling. The 10 am to 5 PM docking was way too short. I could have spent a week there!!!!

Cozumel-well is cozumel down town. We arrived at 6:30 Am their time. Took a taxi to Corona Beach club to snorkle at 7Am. Had the place to our selves, was great.

Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze!! Only complaint was the anouncements in 5 lanuages for everything. Entertainment was grat. Went every night to the theater for a different show.

Archived