Back from the Freedom sailing March 14 2007

ehogan

We just returned from the March 14 Carnival Freedom sailing. I am at home, recovering from jet lag, but I just wanted to tell all you upcoming cruisers on this ship what an EXCELLENT cruise this was. I have posted my review in the member review section but it will take a few days to be reviewed and posted.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post my pictures.

This was one of the best cruises we have been on and you will have a wonderful time.

If you have any questions, post them and I will try to answer.

We just returned from the March 14 Carnival Freedom sailing. I am at home, recovering from jet lag, but I just wanted to tell all you upcoming cruisers on this ship what an EXCELLENT cruise this was. I have posted my review in the member review section but it will take a few days to be reviewed and posted.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post my pictures.

This was one of the best cruises we have been on and you will have a wonderful time.

If you have any questions, post them and I will try to answer.

i really enjoyed your review of the cruise. it was very positive i do have a few questions about the vip perks. we too are vip as this is our 12 cruise on carnival and our 20 cruise. did you have priority geting off the ship in port. i heard that tours go first, but i thought vip could get off whenever also did you use the consierge desk at all. i have read that they will break euros for you but the pursers lines were very long and we thought we'd go to consiersg to get 100's broken before we went off the ship. did you book all with carnival if so how was the hotel and the plane, and finally when did they have you get off the ship to go home was there vip debarking and did they open the restaurants early since we read that they start at 6;30am.i read some of the other reviews but i thought hey you're on carnival get over it...we have tried other cruises and always come back to carnival. they have been consistent and we have NEVER been dissapointed again thanks:D

Micro Yaya 13:

We have only sailed with Carnival 4 times, so are not yet VIPS, but I'll try to answer what I can:

There is not priority for getting off in port for VIPs.

We did use the exchange desk to cash in our Euro travellers checks to cash. I would advise tht you go just before (5 minutes) they open to avoid lines, I went twice this way and had no problems.

It is NOT advisable to cash USD or other currency into Euros here, the exchange rate is very bad. Bring along Euro traveller's cheques which they will cash for no fee.

Do not think that vendors in Europe will accept U.S. Dollars, we saw several instances where they were refused.

We did not book air or hotel with Carnival because we have found we get a better deal and better flight doing it on our own. We flew in a few days early to Rome and stayed at a very nice (and reasonable hotel - Hotel Diplomatic) which was within walking distance of pretty much everything. I understand that the Carnival hotel was 1 block from our hotel and three times the price. We did take the Carnival transfer to the airport on debarkation day.

We were off the ship by 7:00 AM, in lots of time for our 12:40 flight. I heard the ship was completely empty by 9:30. Breakfast was available on the Lido deck from 5:30.

Again, we really enjoyed this cruise, the only negative being the confusion getting the tours going and an unpleasant tablemate (we switched tables immediately after our first meal with him). This is the first time we have ever had to switch tables, but we were transferred to an excellent table and enjoyed some very fun company.

We took the tranport Carnival provided ($65 per person). I think the trip was about an hour.

Hello Ehhogan:

I'm so pleased that your trip was a success, and I'm looking forward to mine in August. I just have one question How did you get from your hotel to the port?? was it through Carnival??

Regards,

dottiem

We walked to the Spanish Steps Metro station, took the metro to Rome Termini (main station) and then took the train to Civitavecchia. It was a short walk from the train station to the port entrance where free shuttle busses were available to the ship.

I had phoned Carnival about transfers from their hotel in Rome (which was a block from our hotel) and they were available at $75 per person - you had to book by two weeks before your cruise. The Carnival rep was the one who suggested the train!

We had done this before, so were confident it was fairly easy. The cost is about 6 Euro per person one way. The only thing you have to watch is pickpockets on the Metro, beware innocent looking young girls (the one who attempted a pickpocketing on us was about eight months pregnant, but of course I wouldn't put some kind of fake pillow past them either!).

It is doable, but you need to minimize your luggage - we had one medium wheeled bag and a small backpack each.

We walked to the Spanish Steps Metro station, took the metro to Rome Termini (main station) and then took the train to Civitavecchia. It was a short walk from the train station to the port entrance where free shuttle busses were available to the ship.

I had phoned Carnival about transfers from their hotel in Rome (which was a block from our hotel) and they were available at $75 per person - you had to book by two weeks before your cruise. The Carnival rep was the one who suggested the train!

We had done this before, so were confident it was fairly easy. The cost is about 6 Euro per person one way. The only thing you have to watch is pickpockets on the Metro, beware innocent looking young girls (the one who attempted a pickpocketing on us was about eight months pregnant, but of course I wouldn't put some kind of fake pillow past them either!).

It is doable, but you need to minimize your luggage - we had one medium wheeled bag and a small backpack each.

ehogan:

Thank you for your input, it will be very helpful to my sisters and I,and we'll be careful of the pickpockets. I hope you get some rest and I can't wait to see your photos.

dottiem

Archived