Let's Talk About RAIN GEAR...

UTVOLS

Soooooo, I just read that in July, on average there are only 9 days of sunshine, soooooooo Let's talk about RainGear.....

On the Backpack thread, rokcop suggested this website for Alaska gear.....http://www.sportsmansguide.com....

SO, Here's the question

What type of rain gear will you be taking...?

A simple poncho?

Water resistant, Water proof,

Spraying with a Protectant....

or will you be purchasing the Gorton's Fisherman Outfit below for just:

WX2-115994 - Stearns® Deluxe Rain Suit, Yellow $9.97

Stearns® Deluxe Rain Suit

Click images to enlarge... 115994_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg115994i_ts.JPG?cell=130,130&cvt=jpeg

Stay bone dry with the reliable protection of this Deluxe Rain Suit:

• .30 mm PVC coated polyester offers improved tensile and tear strength
  • Electronically welded seams for durability
  • Jacket has a dual storm flap and corduroy collar with detachable hood
  • Full bibs feature a snap fly front and elastic suspenders
  • Machine wash / line dry. Imported.

State Size, as available in the Shopping Cart below. Order ONLINE Today!

I think this looks like quite THE BARGAIN!!!! and they will easily spot me if I fall overboard.....

Any Other Takers??????

For myself and husband we both purchased goretex rain gear, very expensive but we will get our use out of it. I have used the plastic raingear for early spring fishing and it just isn't that great so we went ahead and splurged on goretex pants, jackets, foorwear and now I am looking to buy a goretex liner for my jacket. Like I said we will use this stuff again so we can justify the cost but for those who won't be getting that much use out of the stuff I would say try spraying your shoes or jackets, from what I read it does work.

I brought 'ponchos' from the $1 store on my last cruise...never needed them. Still have them...will bring them this time, and (crosses fingers) hopefully not need them again! After all, we won't melt, will we??!!:D

Amanda

Buy a motorcycle rain suit. Two pieces, lots of pockets, fold away hood and the two piece sets fold down to practically nothing. Most have their own little carry case.

I bought a couple sets five years ago on Ebay. Think I paid about $30.00 each. They had many color combinations. We have used them for fishing, hunting, a NASCAR race when it rained, and lots of other things. Every year in Alaska, we just throw the jacket over a hoodie sweatshirt and we are good to go for most anything. If DH is fishing, he takes the full set.

Here is about as close as I have found to what we have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/110-NEW-2-PC-MOTORCYCLE-RAINSUIT-RAIN-GEAR-JACKET-PANT_W0QQitemZ120102433497QQcategoryZ34355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have Columbia rain pants and a 3 in 1 jacket with a zip out fleece liner/jacket. The jacket & pants have taped seams, so I should be nice and dry. My hubby has a rainsuit from Gander Mountain. None of our rain apparel were especially costly, but they would work out well for camping, also. Both jackets have zip venting which should be helpful in case it is fairly warm. As we have lots of outdoor activities planned on our cruisetour (Rock Glacier Hike in Kluane and more), we want to be sure to have a great time regardless of the weather. We will be carrying daypacks with rainsuits stuffed inside to have them handy. In addition, I will be purchasing a drybag (like those used by boaters), for our digital cameras. I can live with being a little damp but I do not want to short out my electronics.:o

Have fun shopping - you might take a look in the fishing department of your local sporting goods store.

we took what we have for our fishing trips...1 sweat-lined wind-breaker (sprayed with water proofing), a blue rain slicker like the picture above, that we didn't use (left the matching pants at home), a fold-up, cheap rain poncho. we got heavy rain in ketchikan and rain/sleet on our whale watch out of juneau.

If you folks wouldn't mind, would you list where you purchased your gear...

I also saw a jacket from L.L.Bean for $59 and pants for $39, but 'stired', yours sounds like a better deal....

Found a great online store for camping/outdoor gear from previous CC posters. Campmor.com: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

They have great sales from time-to-time!:)

I brought 'ponchos' from the $1 store on my last cruise...never needed them. Still have them...will bring them this time, and (crosses fingers) hopefully not need them again! After all, we won't melt, will we??!!:D

Amanda

Same here except mine were closer to $7.00. It's not often I'm purposely out in the rain so I would never buy a raincoat anyways.

Of course, I will look ugly in it, but who cares? Not like I actually know anyone lmao

the great thing about the ponchos, besides the hood and not getting wet...they are cheap! they cover down to the thighs! purses, backpacks or totes, camera and such can be kept dry under them. the other thing, you just shake off the water and they are ready to go again. then the fact the if you don't use them, they aren't taking up a bunch of room in your luggage.

we wanted the rain jacket and pants because, in addition to the cruise, we are doing a land tour and we thought they would be better at keeping us warm and dry during 2 small boat excursions we are taking, the Kenai Fjords tour and the Prince William Sound tour. Besides, I hate ponchos - always get all sweaty in them :p

stired,

You make a really valid point....

If you are doing any kind of kayaking or hiking, the pants make more sense. The ponchos might get caught on bushes in the wilderness and if you're doing any Zipline activities:eek: , you would definitely have a hard time in the ponchos...But it might have a very cool 'Superman' effect.;)

the one rain slicker we took, i wore on the whale watch..it was cold/wet and sleeting. i could hear the sleet hitting the slicker. the poncho would not have worked, that day, because of the wind. the worst picture of the week is the one with me making a stupid face in the stupid blue slicker...but i was DRY!! in fact, if i went in the cabin of capt larry's boat, i was too hot.

the rain ponch we have is real thin...not hot at all. but the slicker i can only wear if it's really cold...it makes me sweat up a storm.(like wearing a thick piece of plastic) my only recommendation is to make sure you can strip down if needed. at glacier bay we had the hottest day of the trip. no wind for any wind chill, sun was out..temps in the high 60s. people were out in shorts and short sleeves.

if you wear light weight pants under the slickers, then you can strip if needed. with the weather in alaska, you are just as likely to have great, sunny weather as cold, raining weather...:rolleyes: . dress for cool mornings and have the option for warmer afternoons.

As plantlady095 states above, a lot of the rain jackets now are breatheable and have zippers in the armpits to help vent them so you don't get so sticky and hot. Here's a photo and description of the jacket I purchased on sale. Also found rain pants at this online store. Don't know if they are still on sale tho :(

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39199770&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1ProductDisplay?productId=39199770&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

We do lots of outdoor stuff and prefer goretex--hubby just replaced an old Campmor 2 piece (jacket & fleece) set with a set (on sale) from Cabelas. He got goretex rain pants from Sierra Trading post. I got a goretex rain jacket from LLBean, on sale, $99. I won't wear waterproof pants.....

Another place to shop online would be sierratradingpost.com and exofficio.com. I love Campmor, too. The thing I like about my 3 in 1 jacket is that I do not have to use the fleece lining jacket unless it turns out to be cold and the jacket is a wind barrier, breathable, and waterproof with an attached hood. I do have a Columbia rain hat, just in case I am longing for a good case of "hat hair.":(

Are you getting closer to knowing what to look for on your shopping expedition?

Archived