QM2 NYC Maiden Arrival Pics

Linerguy

Just got back from watching the ship come in on Thursday and then we spent a night on board, pierside, and then sailed out for one night.

We watched her come in from about 15th & 10th, and then grabbed a cab to the pier. The cab driver didn't listen and took us up to the top and, well, we were in for the entire show! No one said a word.....we walked everywhere.

The following is a link to a few shots (12) that we took.....in all, I took 350 pics on the trip. I'll be adding more to these albums as time allows.

http://community.webshots.com/album/137154627XbKqfZ

Russ

Great photos... But none of MAXIM GORKIY icon_wink.gif ?

Anyhow looking at them just heightened my excitement at going to see the QUEENs tomorrow - just wish I could get on board one or both...

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Doug:

I took one shot of the Gorkiy and then passed by a security guard who gave me a strange look....I didn't want to press my luck so I high-tailed it back to the other pier.

Chota:

So much to tell.....may have to skip the card games!

I'll be adding more pics to this album today.

Russ

Hi Russ

Fabulous photos icon_biggrin.gif - thanks so much for sharing them. Looking forward to seeing more.

Surprised at the lack of 'good' arrival photos published to date. Anyone seen any classic shots of QM2 against Manhattan skyline etc???? While we're at it - don't those piers look a little shabby for Manhattan icon_eek.gif ????

Regards

Ken

Ken:

Yes, the piers are horrid. I was amazed at how much they have gone downhill since the last time I was there (Nov. 2000). In our embarkation photo, in the background, paint is peeling off the beams.

Glad you like the pics. Full report to come.

Russ

Beautiful photos, Russ. Thank you for sharing. By the way, I'm glad to see that you got a photo of yourself with QM2 -- I usually forget to do that when photographing ships.

Thanks again,

Lisa

Lisa63

Looking forward to Maasdam Canada/New England 2004

Russ, beautiful, beautiful shots. Did you notice a bit of paint that the rough seas scraped off, right at the plimsoll line on the port side? (At least that what I think I saw, too many images crowded in my mind at present to sort them all out!)

Great photos. The ones taken at the PST make me realise just how much difference being a "ticketed passenger" makes.

As fantastic as the atmosphere was today, it's still slightly depressing that those of us who aren't lucky enough to be sailing that particular day no longer have the opportunity to get up close to them. Being stuck behind a security fence and a veritable army of guards just didn't feel "right".

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Doug:

Actually, us being ticketed passengers really had nothing to do with it. It was pure dumb luck. I tried to get the cab driver to left us out outside of the gates but he insisted that we must go to the middle level. We got out of the cab, walked right past security, walked down to the middle pier and walked up the stairs to the top level. After the ship docked, I walked down to pier 90, again right past security, took dozens of shots, walked within five feet of the Mayor and no one said a word. I guess we just looked like guys who could be press people.

Dave made the mistake of leaving the PST to get film...they wouldn't let him back in. He called my cell phone and that's when we left.

We went and had lunch, went back to our hotel, got cleaned up and went straight back to the pier to check in. John went with us. He managed to get onto the same pier and take video.

Like I said, it was pure luck.

Russ

Great pictures Russ! Will be posting ours this weekend.

Diamond Princess Sept 2004

Queen Mary 2 Inaugural 4/2004

NCL Sun June 2003

NCL Sun April 2003

RCCL Radiance Sept 2002

HAL Ryndam May 2002

RCCL Vision Sept 2000

Archived