Honolulu Car Rental Question

scsagh

Can anyone tell me if they have rented a car with a pier shuttle pick-up that took you to the airport to get your rental car versus a downtown location? Since we are headed to Pearl Harbor, the airport location may be (???) more on the way.

If we have to go with one with a downtown location, does anyone know which companies may be nearest the pier and have good, speedy service?

Had originally booked with Alamo Ala Moana location, but am rethinking.

Thanks for any help!

As far as I know, Thrifty is the only airport location that will come down to the pier. Thrifty has two pickups at the pier - the van goes to the downtown rental location, while the Shuttle is for the airport Thrifty.

Hertz gave me a number to call to be picked up at the ship and taken to a downtown location to get the car. I made arrangements to return car to the airport location. It cost a little more but wont have to pay cab fare.

We did this last week and Thrifty picked us up at the pier and took us to the airport location. There are two shuttles, so just ask before you get on, which location the shuttle is going to. We used Thrifty at all locations and found them to be very friendly and helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
We did this last week and Thrifty picked us up at the pier and took us to the airport location. There are two shuttles, so just ask before you get on, which location the shuttle is going to. We used Thrifty at all locations and found them to be very friendly and helpful.

Did they let you take all your luggage on the shuttle? We want to check most of our bags at United in the morning then go sight seeing since our flight does not leave until 10 pm.

Any ideas on the best way to do this?

We have NCL vouchers from Pier to Airport.

Thanks.

We are picking up a car at the airport when we arrive and dropping off near the pier (National is on the same road as the pier approx 2.5 miles from the pier) They will shuttle us to the pier.

FB

Did they let you take all your luggage on the shuttle? We want to check most of our bags at United in the morning then go sight seeing since our flight does not leave until 10 pm.

Any ideas on the best way to do this?

We have NCL vouchers from Pier to Airport.

Thanks.

My Wife and I had almost the same situation having a 10:30 p.m United flight late in the day. We got off of POH ship on a Monday and did the early walk-off with bags so we were early off of ship at 7:30. This gave us a head start on our way to get free tickets to Pearl Harbor. We had a shuttle included in pkg. to airport so when we got off bus at airport they unloaded luggage by outside seating area and my wife stayed with luggage while I jumped on Thrifty's short shuttle to pick up our car. I got car and came back to airport (within 5 minutes or less) and drove right up to curb where my wife was with luggage and loaded in trunk and took off for Pearl Harbor and sight seeing the rest of day. We kept luggage in trunk all day and then around 8:30 that evening drove up to airport and unloaded luggage and my wife stayed with bags until I got back from returning car. We then walked in and checked in our bags. It worked real smooth for us and maybe this will help. Have a good trip!!!

Thank you.

That seemed to go well for you.

We might check in our luggage when we first arrive at the airport. There will be 4 adults, this way we only need to keep our carryon luggage in the trunk. Which should fit.

Then get the Thrifty shuttle to pick up the car.

Hopefully the Thrifty shuttle should run frequently.

Thank you.

That seemed to go well for you.

We might check in our luggage when we first arrive at the airport. There will be 4 adults, this way we only need to keep our carryon luggage in the trunk. Which should fit.

Then get the Thrifty shuttle to pick up the car.

Hopefully the Thrifty shuttle should run frequently.

I strongly encourage you to verify in advance that your airline will allow you to check your luggage so far in advance of your flight. Most airlines do not (or perhaps are not allowed to because of TSA regulations) allow you to check luggage more than about 4 to 6 hours in advance of your flight these days, and perhaps not even that early. I know that one of our members reported being able to do that in HNL recently, but that is very surprising and quite unusual.

If you are flying with one of the airlines which partner with NCL, you could pay to have the "easy fly" program where your bags have special tags when you leave them outside your door on the last night of the cruise. For $20 per person (for two bags), they take care of everything (including having an arrangement which allows early checking by the cruise line) and you don't see your luggage again until you arrive at your final destination.

Hope you can work it out.

beachchick

Just got off the PoH yesterday (Monday) and saw rental car shuttles waiting at the pier from Thrifty, Budget, Alamo (Waikiki and Airport locations), and Hertz (it took forever to show up). We also had a late flight leaving the island so my husband hopped on the airport shuttle while we stayed at the pier with the bags. It took a little over an hour for him to pick up the car and return. Wasn't too bad a wait as it was overcast and it was fun to just people-watch. However, if it was a bit warmer or if we were in the direct sun...it could have been pretty miserable.

For anyone renting from Alamo -- make sure you sign up for Quicksilver. Most of the locations had a separate desk and pick-up was much quicker. In Maui the line was horrible. I waited to the side as I didn't see a Quicksilver sign and asked if there was service available, the next attendant called me over and took care of the transaction.

We had reserved a rental from National, who would not pick us up at the pier for an airport pickup. Budget did, and we rented from them. For coming off the cruise ship, they gave us 50% off the rate that we would have been given (the people in front of us in line were charged twice what we were, so the discount was for real.) I was given a choice between Mustang convertible (not happening with all of our luggage,) a Jeep Wrangler and a SUV, which we took. Loaded, including leather for $45.00 for the day. I will never rent from National again.

One person we talked to who had also made the National reservation took them up on pickup in Waikiki and was hit an extra $80.00 for airport drop off.

My Wife and I had almost the same situation having a 10:30 p.m United flight late in the day. We got off of POH ship on a Monday and did the early walk-off with bags so we were early off of ship at 7:30. This gave us a head start on our way to get free tickets to Pearl Harbor. We had a shuttle included in pkg. to airport so when we got off bus at airport they unloaded luggage by outside seating area and my wife stayed with luggage while I jumped on Thrifty's short shuttle to pick up our car. I got car and came back to airport (within 5 minutes or less) and drove right up to curb where my wife was with luggage and loaded in trunk and took off for Pearl Harbor and sight seeing the rest of day. We kept luggage in trunk all day and then around 8:30 that evening drove up to airport and unloaded luggage and my wife stayed with bags until I got back from returning car. We then walked in and checked in our bags. It worked real smooth for us and maybe this will help. Have a good trip!!!

Oh this is a really good idea! I need to remember to do this. Thanks for the info! :)

Archived