beach close to pier?

beachgal58

As I have posted on many threads here, including this one, the Beautiful Escambron beach is very near Old San Juan. (Probably even walkable if you wanted, but it could be a hard slog in September.) The local bus runs relatively nearby.

In the background of this shot you can see past San Cristobol to El Morro.

And here's another nice shot.

We visited the beach while staying at the Hilton, but if we wanted a 'day beach' while there on a cruise, this would be the one, without doubt.

gary

p.s. I didn't include the home link above, but the photo called 'this shot' is from community.iexplore.com.

Although Escambron is there, I grew up in Puerto Rico and that would not be a beach I would go tonor recommend. However, it is an option.

I'm Very Interested why you would not recommend the beach. We've been there and examined the facilities. We liked the beach and what it had to offer.

gary

Beach Choosers should still consider this as a number one choice of beach for a short visit.

Go for it!

thanks for the 411 on the beach. i do not have time to read all the threads or i certainly would not have repeated a question! the ariel veiw looks very nice, the one with the background shot was not a nice beach day for sure. maybe i will cab it to condado beach..sure seems there would be alot of beaches..i have heard of several, i guess they r farther away. not much else we would rather do in sept except be in the water..cindy

Obviously the challenge is to not travel far from the city to find a beach that is not "tainted" by the city. That is what makes your request a trick.

Escambron is fine if you are not picky about the quality of the beach. Puertoricans typically wouldn't travel to this beach because there are nicer beaches closer to where people live.

It wouldn't cost much more, but I would go to Isla Verde beach. It is the next one east of Condado (a little further), but much nicer. It might add $5 each way to your cab fare. Big spread of fine sand. Waves roll in nicely.

From a timing perspective (which is the nature of your question), it might cost you 5 additional minutes more travelling each way in relation to Condado. I would make that trade if a good beach is important to you.

Big Sky Country, I could not have said it better. Having grown up in Puerto Rico, I am pretty picky about the beaches I would recommend and I guess I am little of a "beach snob":)

Big Sky Country, I could not have said it better. Having grown up in Puerto Rico, I am pretty picky about the beaches I would recommend and I guess I am little of a "beach snob":)

Thank you. I've been living here in San Juan for the past 9 years and have had the same luxury as well. Having said that, I still remember what it was like before I moved when I would think any beach in the caribbean was fine. I have seen both sides.

thanks for the info cruisers! isle verde i have heard of, i think it is east of condado beach? do they have facilities? or food/drink? i remember condado was only about 10 min in a cab to the pier at old town where our ship was. condado has beautiful water. rough but beautiful, i found some locals bbqing on the beach. they sold pinchos..hope i said that right. they were good too! puerto rican bbq...on the beach..smooth....but i love to snorkel..hmmm thanks..cindy

Archived