Sister to QM2

JPEvans

"Very funny!!" he said sarcastically.

However, the altered photo does show that QM2 would look much better with three funnels; far more in keeping with the ocean liners of the past. The two non-functional funnels could have some interesting public spaces or even a special penthouse or two. As she is, QM2's funnel is not well proportioned and too stubby for the size of the ship. Three funnels would give a much better visual mass to the top of the ship and eliminate some of the clumsiness to the container ship look that the balcony stateroom blocks have in the middle of the ship.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sailorbill:

the altered photo does show that QM2 would look much better with three funnels<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget that that rendering is of a ship that would be a lot longer than QM2.

Personally, I don't like the way QM2's funnel looks, but it simply had to be that short, and designing a funnel that height that worked would not be easy.

Still, it is clear that it was made to look as much like QE2's funnel as possible. I have to wonder if they could have come up with something more aesthetically pleasing (and just as functional) without that constraint. Somehow I get the feeling that the QE2-style funnel may have been imposed by the same "corporate image" zealots that decided to change the houseflag.

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Verry funny, JP. Nice to hear from you back in cyberspace.

The most negative thought that crossed my mind about QM2 is that she can look like a "stretch limo" at times -- and this captures it.

It's probably not that far off either. Cunard advertising has a history of marketing the biggestest, fastestest, costliestest etc. .....so they may indeed be forced to outdo themselves and build a Starship Queen with hyperdrive in 30 years.

Crouton

Archived