Snacks on the Rail portion in Alaska?

picruiser

Hi,

We're doing an Alaska cruise tour in June with Princess. I know that they serve meals on the train, and was wondering if we are allowed to take snacks onboard the train. Or are they available as well? Thanks. :D

We took the Alaska RR from Anchorage to Seward and the dining car had excellent food at good prices. We purchased a full meal, but there were many that went in for coffee. I feel sure you can carry snacks onboard if you wish.

It was back in the early 90's when we took the rain trip in Alaska. You could bring snacks onboard, thankfully. The dining car was not that great and the food we were served (way back then) was overpriced for a tiny amount. We were very disappointed. We were not able to visit the dining car whenever we pleased but had to go in shifts when told to. Hopefully this has changed in the last 10 years as it wasn't a very good situation.

Hi,

We're doing an Alaska cruise tour in June with Princess. I know that they serve meals on the train, and was wondering if we are allowed to take snacks onboard the train. Or are they available as well? Thanks. :D

On our roll call, another poster wrote:

Princess just posted a new download for Alaska Cruisetours

http://www.princess.com/pdf/global/c...nswer_Book.pdf

I've been reading about our tour in so many different places, I'm not sure where I read it but I'm pretty sure I read that you can't take food for consumption on the train. But I fully intend to have a few Power Bars in my backpack and surely when we're at a stop, we can eat. But I think if you discreetly ate a candy bar or something small that wouldn't have crumbs flying left and right, you'd be OK. I'm guessing they're trying to keep the smells down (Doritos come to mind) and of course, avoid messes from litter and spills.

Then again, maybe the motive is to get us all to eat in their restaurant. Which we may very well do but I want to keep our options open, depending on our assigned time and seating, the selection and of course, the prices.

The Princess part of the train has outstanding food in the restaurant. It is actually one of the best prime rib dinners I have ever had. They are also famous for the fruit pie (I think it is called Fruits of the Forrest or something like that) they serve that is world reknown. Of course you can take your own snacks, but it an experience to have fun lunch or dinner on the train. Reindeer chili in bread bowl was good too. Be sure to go on the lower deck of the train and look for the animals. We were lucky the last time to be on the last train car and had a wide open area. I stayed down there almost the entire time. My hair didn't look great but I got lots of great pictures and saw several bears.

Archived