Weight Limit..Sorry Dumb Question

I know this is a dumb question , I searched and came up empty. You are all so helpfull , I knew someone could enlighten me!

I am freakin' out about the 50lb weight limit..we cruise on 4-22(Valor).:eek:

I am dividing the weight as best I can between the bags, but it will still be really tough.:o

Question:

What is the best way to get an accurate weight of the bags?

Can I use my regular home scale, or do I need one of those hand held do-hickies?:confused:

Thanks....

We also use our home scale but my DH found some luggage over at Gottschalks that has a built in scale, we travel so much, it would be very smart for us to invest in a few, especially when we are on the ship trying to distribute everything as equal as possible so i won't be over the weight limit at the airport.

If you pass the 50 LBS wieght limit at the Airport, you will be charged an additional $80 to $100.00, They have a cardboard box for 10.00 that you can transfer stuff into it to reduce the wieght of the main bag.

I will find a link that has most of the limits of various airlines.

One thing you need to think about, If your luggage is 49 Lbs, you will exceed the limit on the way back with Gifts, T-shirts etc.

Fred

Oh, I was going to say that I think cruisers can weigh as much as they want, realizing that they'll probably weigh a few more pounds when they come home.

Anyway, we always use the bathroom scale. If I can't balance the bag on it, then I weigh myself holding the bag and subtract my own weight. Unless you are bringing a lot of beverages, you will probably be OK. We each bring one really big suitcase and one smaller one. The big ones usually hit around 45-50 pounds, so I then move as much heavy stuff as possible into the small bags. If you are too close to the limit and have a lot of sodas, dump them! It's a lot cheaper to buy sodas on the ship than to pay the airline overlimit fee.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Okay, good point Fred about cutting it too close to begin with and then going over with stuff on the return!:eek:

Uhhh...that would be ....ME!!!:D

We do not take drinks, blenders, or the kitchen sink with us, so I am good there....

I could always just wait and purchase some products in Miami once we get there, I guess.( Hair stuff, but I use specific brands....hmmm)

Well, thanks for the info. I will do my best to even it out, DH bag should be pretty light..so we will just get creative.

Will definately leave room for souvenirs though!Thanks!;)

We just lift ours.. I guess we have been lucky our last 3 cruises.. always around 42-45lbs.. the heaviest we have had is 49lbs coming back with like 20 extra tshirts and some alcohol.. This time I managed to cut down the clothing again (you never wear all of what you bring).. and even with soveniers coming back my bag was 40lbs.

But I do see alot of people stating they do use the bathroom scale if accurate.

We flew Southwest from Nashville to Tampa in Feb for our last cruise. Yes southwest did weigh our luggage-in Nashville and in Tampa on return flight. They will charge you-but the girl at the counter put both of our bags-one at a time on the scale and 1 was 55 lbs. and the other was 40. So she told us to move some things from one bag to the other while it was on the scale. We took out a couple of pairs of shoes and few more items and crammed them into the other bag-they were both under 50lbs. Did not take but a couple of minutes. Also I folded up a large duffle bag into my luggage before our trip so on the way home I had an empty bag for the items I bought, plus nothing ever fits into the luggage the same way!! It made me have another bag to check on the trip home but it also kept my luggage under weight limit. We saw several people in line behind us opening their bags once at the counter to move things around. There is also a scale outside at the curbside check-in. You can check the weight there and shift things around if needed. Have fun:p

I know this probably does not apply to the OPs specifc case, but not all airlines have a 50lb limitation.

Some are more restrictive so if traveling on a foreign airline be sure to check their limitations. For instance, we fly Air New Zealand domestically in NZ and found we were limited to one checked bag at 20kg (44lbs) and one carryon at 7kg (15lbs). Pretty restrictive seeing as we were gone almost a month on our trip. We packed light and made it.

We just lift ours.. I guess we have been lucky our last 3 cruises .

You must be a better guesser than DH, he assured me that the bag was not over the weight limit as we left the ship and sure enough, he squatted in the middle of MIA digging thru the bags trying to equal them out so we would be under the limit.

One more reason to fly Southwest or Jet Blue when possible. No weight limits.

That is untrue we fly southwest ALOT they do incur weight limits, as a matter of fact my hubby just got dinged on his trip to Vegas this past sunday. It was 54lbs and they charged him 25.00

Probable with those 2 airlines, you will never make it off the runway :confused:

We have NEVEr had an issue with any Southwest airlines we have ever taken. Dh travels for work so he flies ALot now Northwest or American airlines can suck my big toe

You must be a better guesser than DH, he assured me that the bag was not over the weight limit as we left the ship and sure enough, he squatted in the middle of MIA digging thru the bags trying to equal them out so we would be under the limit.

LOL was that you:p I have seen that happen lots.. I guess we are.. because my SO's bag was under 40lbs .. I really contribute it to the packing less clothes.. I still have a full suitcase it is just not stuffed anymore.. I only brought 1 large suitcase and a carry on this time.. I think by the time I hit platinum with the free laundry I may get away with a medium suitcase and a carry on:D ;)

I'm quite sure it was, but i am happy to report, we were not the only squatters in the terminal.

No you are not ;) The funniest I have seen is a bride and groom.. they took literally 1/2 hour to sort thru their bags.. and they were still over :D

What in the world are you taking on the cruise that weighs that much? Is it trying to fit it all in one suitcase that does it? Shoes? Smuggles? We have never thought about it, and never have been overweight. Guess we are lucky b/c we are always overpacked.

What in the world are you taking on the cruise that weighs that much? Is it trying to fit it all in one suitcase that does it? Shoes? Smuggles? We have never thought about it, and never have been overweight. Guess we are lucky b/c we are always overpacked.

It's not what we are taking. it's what we are bringing home.

We buy trinkets along the way and booze and other items that fill up a suitcase. all that adds up.

Archived