Edema of the ankles!

joybaby

Why does this happen to apparently healthy folks after 9 or 10 days on a cruise?

Yes, we watch our salt intake and exercise, this never happens at home, so why on a ship? It doesn't happen until we are in to the second week.

Off the vessel -- and we are fine!

I have the same problem, but it happens to me about the fourth day. My doctor said it was a combination of the salt air and the cruise food is also heavily salted. He gave me a prescription for a mild diuretic, told me to drink plenty of tea, walk as much as possible, and keep my feet elevated when sleeping. It helps but I still wind up with elephant ankles. Weird, I know.

We also take week long Florida beach vacations (near Destin). Same salt air, no swelling. :confused:

Exactly!! By the time we are boarding the ship my wife's ankles are swelling. My wife also has restless legs and the long fights to Europe or Hawaii drives her crazy. I have no problem but I think it is a female problem of higher proportion. I think the subtle vibration of the aircraft engines or worse yet, the vibration of the propulsion system on the ship, especially aft adds to the problem and sets the kidneys into hibernation causing water retention. I wonder how the full time staff copes with this problem on the cruise ships. Of course, so many of the females are very young and I think this starts at mid-age+.

John L.

MMMMMM -- it happened to my hub and not me, this past cruise. We live right on the beach in Ormond, Fl. and this is not an issue, so it was just a curious question. I am a retired RN so I understand fluid overload, but not in this situation. Wierd!!

I swell BADLY from the drinking water. You know that FREE PURIFIED GOOD WATER they have. I brought some home just to test it and when the swelling went down I drank it and BAM swelled up again. So YEP I will be smuggling the good stuff

Archived