Help with Dawn Booking & Cabin!

Kallen

I have 24 hours to get a cabin booked for my 18 year old daughter and mother if they're going to come with us on the Feb. 28th cruise of the Dawn. The ship is almost sold out. Price is a big consideration as my mother is on a fixed income. So, my questions are:

1. Is it better to book a particular cabin or to book a guarantee (either inside or ocean-view)?

2. If they enjoyed the ocean view before, will they have problems adjusting to an inside cabin?

We had hoped to just bring our daughter with us, but all the mini-suites are gone and my husband is concerned that we will find a cabin for three too small (we're big people). We had a mini-suite on the Grand Princess and it was perfect, but for 10 days, would we find a regular balcony cabin too small for three?

I appreciate any help and guidance you can offer.

Kallen, I think you would probably find the balcony cabin too small for three people, but it is OK for two. My understanding about guarantee vs assigned cabins is that there are two sides to that question. With the guarantee, you are guaranteed a room in that category or higher. The downside is that you won't know your room location or much about it until closer to sailing. If a particular location on the ship is important to you, I would suggest an assigned cabin. I can't answer your question about the inside cabin as opposed to the ocean view as we have had the ocean view or a balcony. I loved the balcony in the Caribbean; our friends had an ocean view that was considerable larger than our cabin, but no balcony. Whatever yo decide to do, good luck! You will all enjoy the Dawn!

Sue

We have always booked a quad, or a triple inside cabin, one for price, other is 4 people. We have had 3 and 4 in an inside. We don't have a problem with it. I like it because it is dark. I take a lighted clock with us. I would rather have an inside, with more money to spend. :) I have never picked a guarantee. I have always picked a cabin for location!!

I agree with the post above. We've had all kinds of cabins, but actually prefer the inside cabin for price and convenience. We've also booked guarantees and have always been happy with the cabin. We aren't in the cabin much, so this works great for us and let's us feel better about spending the money to cruise more.

It really comes down to how important the cabin is to you. If you are flexible and can be comfortable wherever you are located, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you need to be close to the stairs/elevators, if you must be mid-ship or you get seasick, or if you are claustrophobic and need a window, then you should book a specific cabin in a specific category.

:)

I'm a little confused about the number of travelers - 3 or 4? You, your DH, daughter and grandma?

Yes I think a balcony room on the Dawn is small for 3. As for an inside, I've had a minisuite on the Grand and balcony room on the Dawn, but for my recent trip on the Coral I found such a bargain on an inside that I took it anyway. While I missed the balcony a little, I'm also one who realizes I can pay for twice as many cruises inside as outside, and we are never in our rooms except to sleep, so it didn't make much difference to us. I have an inside guarantee for my December trip - It's already in the highest inside category - if I get an upgrade fine, if not, that's okay too.

Would it work for you to book a balcony room for you and DH and an inside across the hall or at least nearby for your daughter and grandma? Then everyone could share the balcony in the daytime, but have plenty of room to stretch out at other times? Just a thought.

Joy

Just book the available cabin. If it's an inside, you two take it

and give the suite to those whom you are concerned about.

They will love you for it (if they can adjust to an inside, then

the problem is solved).

The update: Granny backed out, so we have booked a balcony cabin on the Dawn for three of us and have had our names added to the wait list for a mini-suite. Sure hope they provide a ladder to get the loser of the coin toss up into that bunk!

Archived