a 23 year old newbie sailing solo

cruzobsessed

my son is considering his 1st cruise around new years. he thought he'd have someone to cruise with but it looks as though he's possibly on his own.

i'm looking at 2 carnival cruises or rc majesty. no more than a 5 day sailing. he is friendly, lives alone and doesn't mind being on his own.

i guess what i'm asking is......what do you think....cruising solo on new years?

Howdy cruzobsessed:

I'll start this post with a tid-bit of information about little-old-me: When I was 14 years old I bought a 30-day Greyhound bus pass and traveled around the U.S. by myself. So, to me, it shouldn't be a big deal for a 23-year old to do a solo cruise.

That said, Carnival has the rep of being a "party" ship, in which case it may be more likely that your son will find a larger group of 20-somethings on that line. Still, as I just wrote in my response to Vancouverite, I would pick a New Year's cruise primarily based on itinerary (in other words, is the ship headed to one or more interesting ports?) and then based on affordability. As you may know, the lines charge more for sailings that bring in the New Year, but if that is when you son wants to go, then hey, I say "go for it."

One more tip: If you son narrows his search down to a couple of choices he should probably check out the CC threads dedicated to each sailing. If he likes the posts of one CC group more than another it may be an indication of where he is more likely to meet new people whose company he will enjoy.

Cheers!

Paul

hey paul....great story. i've narrowed it down to 2 carnival cruises FASCINATION OR SENSATION. or 2 rc cruises SOVEREIGN OR MAJESTY. they all cost more or less the same and are going to more or less the same places.

here's the deal...they are all new years cruises....what if he doesn't really meet anyone on the cruise....couldn't new years alone be....depressing? :(

I wouldn't worry about whether he finds people his own age. In my (somewhat limited) experience, it's harder to not meet people on a cruise than to meet them. Also, the fact that he's willing to go alone indicates to me that he won't be too upset if he spends New Year's on his own.

If he's concerned, just tell him to sit at the disco's bar; people will keep going up to the bar to get fresh drinks and he can always strike up a conversation with them. Or, if he's intraverted, a "rescuer" will almost inevitably show up and invite him to join his/her group.

Lastly, the bartenders really want people to have fun and the smart ones will even introduce him to other guests if he's really shy. If all else fails, he'll likely find a female staff member standing next to him trying to start a conversation and/or drag him out onto the dance floor.

He'll have a great time.

they are all new years cruises....what if he doesn't really meet anyone on the cruise....couldn't new years alone be....depressing? :(

Greetings Cruzobsessed:

First, I think Another Guy has some good suggestions. But let's take the worst case scenario: Suppose, despite your son's best efforts, that he hasn't found any new friends to click with and it is New Year's eve. Okay, maybe it won't be the most fun he's ever had, but it won't kill him either. Sometimes it is exactly at such moments when we realize how good our own company can be. Learning that isn't such a bad thing. :cool:

Paul

P.S. Perhaps this gives you a clue as to why my favorite expression is "Life is all about finding the opportunities behind the obstacles."

I'm thinking there can be disappointment if he doesn't find some buddies. But that IS a long time off.

SUGGESTION: I'Ve done a few singles cruises that run about $150 more, but are WELL worth it. There are some people in their 20s (not a ton, but they're there!)... It also helps to be a part of a group. (besides the fun - there is the safety in numbers part of it. If he's suddenly "missing" it'd be good for someone to notice.)

You have dinner together; there are plenty of Disco parties and 'get-to-know-you' games. OY! (don't tell him that... but he'll go - just not tell anyone he did).

Seriously I think this is the way. Unfortunately like previous poster mentioned we can't name travel agencies here. Do a google singles cruise and go with the one who's initials are ********. :rolleyes: Hope that's allowed.

Archived