San Francisco Coast WC access guide

KL&KR

If you are planning to include a stay in the San Francisco Bay Area in your cruise plans and like the outdoors, you might find this nice 190-page publication useful: A Wheelchair Rider's Guide: San Francisco Bay and the Nearby Coast. It is online at http://www.scc.ca.gov/Publications/Wheelchair%20Guide%20Bay%20Area.pdf or can be ordered as a free paperback from the Coastal Conservancy at www.scc.ca.gov .

It looks like there is also a similar Los Angeles/Orange County guide available.

Yes it is great. And I can say that it was well researched as well. Bonnie Lewkowicz (the author and founder of Access Northern California) actually went to all the trails and made access notes. I have to also say (in the form of full disclosure) that I am on the board of ANC; but even if I wasn't, the fact that this guide was well researched is a great thing. I also have to say that Bonnie is one of the few folks that can "look beyond her own disability" and report on access even if it may or may not accommodate her. She just reports access, which is great. It's not like "this isn't accessible to me so it is not accessible at all", which is what I see a lot. And that doesn't help folks one bit.

Candy

Archived