Zaans Schans to Edam Holland - bus possible?

Images

Is it possible to connect Zaans Schans with Edam by bus, or do I have to return to Amsterdam first?

If so, is the bus station near the railway station at Koog Zaandijk?

We are spending over a week in Holland in April and are taking the train to Alkmaar from Amsterdam, then going by train to Zaanse Schans. We'd like to travel to Edam next, and are hoping a bus will connect the two so we don't have to go back into Amsterdam, then taking the bus from there up to Edam.

Any experts here that know the transportation system in Holland?

Thanks so much.

Is it possible to connect Zaans Schans with Edam by bus, or do I have to return to Amsterdam first?

If so, is the bus station near the railway station at Koog Zaandijk?

We are spending over a week in Holland in April and are taking the train to Alkmaar from Amsterdam, then going by train to Zaanse Schans. We'd like to travel to Edam next, and are hoping a bus will connect the two so we don't have to go back into Amsterdam, then taking the bus from there up to Edam.

Any experts here that know the transportation system in Holland?

Thanks so much.

From Alkmaar to Amsterdam the "stoptrain" (not the sneltrein..) stops also in Koog-Zaandijk on the way to Amsterdam, It is the closest trainstation to Zaanse Schans. Traintime will be about 20 minutes I think.

Cross the street and walk for 10 minutes max.

Your ticket Alkmaar-Amsterdam allows you to make this stop.

Of course if you have luggage that might be a problem, then take the stoptrain from Amsterdam CS to Uitgeest/Alkmaar and get off at Koog Zaandijk (not Koog-Bloemwijk).

From Koog-Zaandijk to Edam is complicated. You will have to take a train to Zaandam, from there by train to Purmerend and continue by bus to Edam.

So better to make 2 different trips out of there. From Amsterdam you can take a bus from Centraal Station to Edam. This can again be completed by taking another bus to Volendam and Marken.

There is a good site for public transport in NL, but I think it is only in duthc. Check http://www.9292ov.nl/9292ov1.asp

If you need more help, let me know

Thank you so very much Ine. It sounds like it's just best to return to Amsterdam and then take the bus from Central Station back north to Edam.

We'll be in Amsterdam for Queen's Day. We're in our early 50's and I'm not to thrilled with the description of this holiday that I've heard so far.

Is there any way to enjoy this day without being caught in the masses? I've heard public transportaion comes to a stop before noon, so we really shouldn't leave the city. I thank you for any suggestions!

Thank you so very much Ine. It sounds like it's just best to return to Amsterdam and then take the bus from Central Station back north to Edam.

We'll be in Amsterdam for Queen's Day. We're in our early 50's and I'm not to thrilled with the description of this holiday that I've heard so far.

Is there any way to enjoy this day without being caught in the masses? I've heard public transportaion comes to a stop before noon, so we really shouldn't leave the city. I thank you for any suggestions!

Queens day (April 30) is a day that Amsterdam is really full. Actually it often starts already the night before with youngsters coming into town.

If you can leave the city early in the morning (which will be before 10 am) you could go to e.g. Keukenhof http://www.keukenhof.nl/ but that may be busy with lots of tourists. In the neighbour countries Germany and Belgium May 1 is a holiday, so lots of them come over for a long weekend.

Maybe you can do the Edam or Zaanse Schans tour that day and go against the traffic? There will be some celebrations, but not that busy as in Amsterdam.

I found this website of Zaanse Schans for you: http://schans.webvanced.nl/

• 4 weeks later...

Someone posted a recommendation for the above driver/guide and I have gone to their website and it looks like an excellent way to get around the country easily. Have you considered doing something like that? You would not have to take public transport, walk to the sites, and wait (or miss) a connection. Check it out. Put the 3w's in front and the dot com in back and off you go!

Archived