Alaskan cruisetour - train arrival in Whittier

KnoxvilleSam

I've tried using the search function to no avail this morning. Can anyone tell me an approximate time that the Princess cruise-tour train arrives in Whittier from the McKinley Wilderness Lodge? Our boarding pass says one can board as early as noon, they prefer you board after 2:00 pm, and the ship debarks Whittier at 9:30 pm.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

We did this last year, and we didn't get to the ship until 6:30 or 7:00 pm. It was an hour's bus ride into Talkeetna from the McKinley Lodge, then a bit of a wait for the train to arrive.

I honestly don't remember having lunch on the train, but at my age, I can't be expected to remember everything ;) So maybe we left after lunch?

Anyway, it was very cool pulling into Whittier, as you could see the ship getting closer and closer. We were literally across the street from the pier when we left the train, walked across the street into the port teminal and onto the ship.

It was a great trip! Enjoy!

We did the pre-cruise land tour on Diamond Princess last may. The train trip from Talkeetna was long and we got to the pier in the evening, probably around 7 or 7:30. The nice thing about it was the Princess reps were on the train and they put us through the check-in procedure right on the train. We got all our stuff including our room key. When we arrived at Whittier, we just took the short walk "across the street", went through security and were in our cabin real fast. Our luggage was already in the cabin since they sent it via truck which obviously got there before the train. First night dining was open seating so we went to the Pacific Moon dining and had dinner. All in all, it was a nice experience. ;)

The problem with the Alaska board is that it's not specific to Princess. Although, I have been reading that board a lot and find it very helpful.

We're doing the land first also and I didn't realize we arrived at the ship that late. When do they do the muster drill then?

What did you mean that the dining is "open" the first night? Obviously the traditional dining room wouldn't be going by the times for 1st and 2nd seating, but do you go there to eat at any time? This will be our first time in traditional since we have a group with us.

We will be coming from the Denali Princess Lodge on the train leaving at 8:00 a.m. and I believe arriving in Whittier at 5:15 p.m. Does this sound right? Also, I understand there is some kind of store we can stop in and purchase some water, pop, maybe snacks. Is this correct? If it is, does anyone know the name of it and where it is located in relation to the train drop off and/or ship boarding area? Will we have time and be able to do this before boarding the ship? THX!

The problem with the Alaska board is that it's not specific to Princess. Although, I have been reading that board a lot and find it very helpful.

We're doing the land first also and I didn't realize we arrived at the ship that late. When do they do the muster drill then?

What did you mean that the dining is "open" the first night? Obviously the traditional dining room wouldn't be going by the times for 1st and 2nd seating, but do you go there to eat at any time? This will be our first time in traditional since we have a group with us.

I've been on cruises before that leave later in the evening. The open seating is just that; you can sit anywhere, anytime in the restaurant that first night. Also, the drill will be after the ship starts to sail, as with any other sailing. Hope this helps.

Archived