Darn you Carnival!

flitter306

Today at work we had a blood drive and I attempted to do my civic duty. Did you know that you can't donate if you've travelled to Costa Maya or Roatan? High malaria risk. Who knew.

So now the question, do I give up cruising or donating blood? :p

Today at work we had a blood drive and I attempted to do my civic duty. Did you know that you can't donate if you've travelled to Costa Maya or Roatan? High malaria risk. Who knew.

Give up cruising? NEVER!!!!!!!:eek:

Who knew? I knew! :(

I have been a platelet donor for over 12 years. Unfortunately I can't donate for 2 years due to our cruise to Calica in Feb. and our future trip to Cozumel in Feb. 2008.

I won't give up cruising but will go back to the eastern itineraries after that so I can donate again.

It's not Carnival's fault, it's the destination. I cruised on the Glory in Nov. and when American Red Cross called in Dec. wanting my blood I told them that I had been on a cruise to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Nassau. They said that the problem area was Costa Maya not Belize! I hope I'll be able to give again in Dec. since we are doing the Eastern Caribbean Dec. 2.

Last time I gave I almost fainted, a first for me!

So how long do they say you can't give blood after visiting those countries?

I would have to agree with one year since I have worked for years as a hemodialysis nurse and we would have to be out of that field for one year in order to give blood.

First of all, it is not the Red Cross that makes the guidelines, it's the FDA. Yes if you visit certain areas you cannot donate blood for one year after you return. There are certain areas such as Cozumel where if you stay in the city you can still donate blood, but if you go outside the city, such as to see the ruins you are deferred for a year.

Give up donating blood. Thousands of people can give blood, but only you can enjoy your cruise...LOL:D

First of all, it is not the Red Cross that makes the guidelines, it's the FDA. Yes if you visit certain areas you cannot donate blood for one year after you return. There are certain areas such as Cozumel where if you stay in the city you can still donate blood, but if you go outside the city, such as to see the ruins you are deferred for a year.

I thought it was the CDC???

So are there any vaccines that we should take before traveling to any of these areas?

I wonder how I am going to add this to my travel packet I am getting together for everyone going? This should go over really well with those that are already alittle worried about cruising!

I thought this was gonna be another water thread. :D

So did I.

And I don't know what everyone is complaining about, check out how long you are off the list for some places in Afrika. And don't even THINK about getting a tat overseas!

Here's an article from the CC news site: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1841. As the article notes, there's little worry of a cruise passenger actually contracting malaria - but the rules on blood donation are set very conservatively. No need for vaccinations in this case with respect to travel.

Up to now I have donated blood about 3 times a year, but right now I'd like to travel with my family while I can. Having visited "off limits" ports last month and with another visit planned next year, the earliest I'll be able to donate again is February 2009. Oldest son is a little disappointed because his high school does blood drives and next year he'd be old enough to participate. (DH is permanently disqualified because he lived in England for a year back in the early '80s.)

I was not aware that Cozumel was a risk area. I believe I have given blood since being there and no one said it was bad...Only Belize.

If you stay on the island it's OK. You can't give blood for a year if you go to the mainland from there.

I was told that if I had visited Cozumel without the trip to the mainland to see Tulum it would have been OK.

Wait!

Is it really a risk of malaria that they are worried about or do they know something about the water on the ships?

Maybe everyone should bring their own water to be on the safe side.

See, I knew this thread was really all about water!

Just a remender to everyone that these places that are off limits change regularly, so check back with your blood bank from time to time. The majority of places that are deferrals from donating are USUALLY a year from when you were there. Some places are permanent deferrals, primarily if you've spent an accumulated amount of time in the UK during a certain time frame, because of Mad Cow Disease. Most of the areas around the Caribbean, the concern is Malaria. Play Del Carmen is a year deferral, although Cancun is not, and they are very close together! Hoever, take an excursion out of the resort, and, as stated above, and you are deferred!

I've worked in blood banks for 27 years, and been a donor for most of that time. Seen lots of changes, including the advent of AIDS. I was deferred all last year because of Roatan, and would have been another year down if I had made Costa Maya a few weeks ago! So the first thing I did was give blood last friday, since I'm now eligible again-a triple unit of platelets! I sincerely believe in donating. But would I have skipped my cruise for that? NOT!!!!!:D

Who knew? I knew! :(

I have been a platelet donor for over 12 years. Unfortunately I can't donate for 2 years due to our cruise to Calica in Feb. and our future trip to Cozumel in Feb. 2008.

I won't give up cruising but will go back to the eastern itineraries after that so I can donate again.

Just to let you know, MOST of the Eastern Caribbean is safe, but not always! It is always subject to change. As of last summer, Kingston, Jaimaica is a one year malaria deferral. But the rest of the island is fine, I believe.

Archived