Sport coats during the day on QM2???

Mysteryfan

I am off to London on April 30th and was wondering if Sport Coats are needed or required during the day on QM2 as I have a couple I would not bringing along. I have my tux all set for the formal nights, but was wondering what is dress code during the day

Mysteryfan

A second here on that. Dress for comfort. Just SOMETIMES during the day I've worn coat and tie, as in if going to an "Event" and wanting to wear a tie. Usually "neat dress" works in all rooms at all times during the day, with or w/o tie, as you choose. After six o'clock, all evenings, I prefer to wear a tie...w/tux, suit, sport coat or blazer. I feel fellow passengers make an attempt to dress as if at a resort or good club and enjoy wearing their best church/business/prom/sporting attire, and I like that, appreciate it. :)

When I was on a November ’06 cruise on QM2 I did not wear a jacket one night and felt out of place. This is a dressy ship and people really make an effort to dress and enjoy themselves. Next November we are on a ten day QM2 cruise and I will bring along a couple of blazers along with my tux. I wear a blazer traveling so I don’t have to pack it.

Steve

What is the usual dress on the day/evening of sailing? We will have been in NY touring the day we leave.

Here's what is was leaving New York last May 23 (from the Daily Programme): "The Dress for tonight is Casual: For gentlemen, no jacket is required, a collared shirt with slacks is perfectly appropriate. For ladies, a blouse with skirt, or slacks."

That said, many gentlemen wore sports coats or blazers, and half of those with ties too.

Bon voyage,

Paul

After a number of years of fairly sloppy dress, New Yorkers particularly in Manhattan have returned to the suit and tie for the gentlemen and dress or slacks with high heels for the ladies.

I always wear a blazer and tie when in New York as you never know where you might pop in for a bite to eat and many places prefer a dressier level. Also, If you are better dressed it is assumed you are local and it is easier to get a cab, directions and all manner of services.

Also, wearing the blazer for embarkation lightens the load of packing and assures that you will have it and a tie and one good shirt should (bite your tongue) the luggage end up elsewhere. Such attire is recognized at the pier as one who will tip well so there is never a problem getting assistance with luggage, etc.

Have a great trip. A recommended lunch in NYC is in Sax Fifth Ave. Busy but worth the wait as the food is good, the people watching interesting and the wait staff colorful.

During the day it is pretty much what you choose. There were some slobs but I ignored them and dressed neatly for breakfast and luncheon. I took a blue blazer for evening dinner and a tux and I was fine. It is a lovely ship and you will have a wonderful time.

HEY! You don't have to talk about me like that you know!

Anon

Archived