Okay ...new question

tinkerbell1951

No, only if you want one; it's not a necessity. And while I think Jtl's observation is a very good one, I myself have always booked verandahs. But that's my preference, and I wanted to give you as objective an answer as I could. (A prime example of "do what I say, not what I do" :rolleyes: ).

Karin ... doing r/t seattle to hubbard on O, in YHO, which is best - aft, stbd or port verandah ?;) C:)

ps and, do I want lower or upper decks?

Karin ... doing r/t seattle to hubbard on O, in YHO, which is best - aft, stbd or port verandah ?;) C:)

ps and, do I want lower or upper decks?

I'm not Karin, but I'll stick in my two cents again (making it about 16 cents so far!). :)

Unless you're talking about the corner suites, aft you only see one last glimpse where you've been, and not much of that unless you're all the way back at the rail. OK for the Caribbean where there isn't much to see except ocean anyway, but not good for AK, IMO.

Port or starboard doesn't matter much as far as scenery goes, because you get half northbound and half southbound. If you're on starboard you can be awakened by sunrise northbound ... and southbound if you're on the port side. Etc, etc.

Low decks and center is better if you're prone to seasickness; high decks give you a better view.

Personally, I like like decks 6 or 7 aft of "the bend" because I'm close to the dining room and the start of the Lido food lines, yet not directly under the aft pool area with its potential for noise from chairs etc above me. At the other end you're closer to everything else except eating.

In the center of deck 5 you would be at most a 1/2 ship length away from everything ... but the verandahs are about 1.5 feet shallower than any VA/VB/VC cabins. On deck 4 aft of the bend the VDs give you a verandah about 1.5 feet deeper than any VA/VB/VC, and it's very convenient to the dining room ... but some people complain of vibration there.

Has that helped, or confused you more? :D

I'm not Karin, but I'll stick in my two cents again (making it about 16 cents so far!). :)

Unless you're talking about the corner suites, aft you only see one last glimpse where you've been, and not much of that unless you're all the way back at the rail. OK for the Caribbean where there isn't much to see except ocean anyway, but not good for AK, IMO.

Port or starboard doesn't matter much as far as scenery goes, because you get half northbound and half southbound. If you're on starboard you can be awakened by sunrise northbound ... and southbound if you're on the port side. Etc, etc.

Low decks and center is better if you're prone to seasickness; high decks give you a better view.

Personally, I like like decks 6 or 7 aft of "the bend" because I'm close to the dining room and the start of the Lido food lines, yet not directly under the aft pool area with its potential for noise from chairs etc above me. At the other end you're closer to everything else except eating.

In the center of deck 5 you would be at most a 1/2 ship length away from everything ... but the verandahs are about 1.5 feet shallower than any VA/VB/VC cabins. On deck 4 aft of the bend the VDs give you a verandah about 1.5 feet deeper than any VA/VB/VC, and it's very convenient to the dining room ... but some people complain of vibration there.

Has that helped, or confused you more? :D

1st of all John ... 16 cents is always worth more than 2 in any store. You haven't necessarily confused me. I was thinking of the aft balcony for warmth purposes. I don't care how far away I am from food lines.. where there is food, I will find it and therefore require the exercise in getting there :eek: . I don't want noise and I always will book a cabin where I am least apt to have that. Seasickness (and I get it bad) is never a problem thanks to Bonine or Meclizine.

Is there a gathering area for viewing (when there is something apt to be seen) that is available to everyone ? Is there an area that is only available to suite holders ? Is this area inside or outside ? Lastly, what level cabin starts concierge and/or butler service ? Is that even an issue? Now are you confused ;) :D

Is there a gathering area for viewing (when there is something apt to be seen) that is available to everyone ? Is there an area that is only available to suite holders ? Is this area inside or outside ? Lastly, what level cabin starts concierge and/or butler service ? Is that even an issue? Now are you confused ;) :D

There are several public areas both inside and outside which are good for viewing, but I imagine they fill up quickly when there is something to view. (Never done Alaska and not much to see in the Caribbean.) The Neptune Lounge with its concierge service is available to cat. SC, SB, SA, and PS guests. It is only an issue if you have already been spoiled by having it in which case is is a BIG issue! ;)

I will be on the the Noordam with Karin and plan to bring my Lap Top so I can report "Live" Three years ago we did our first Alaska on the Oosterdam and loved it. Since that time Oosterdam has become our favorite ship but we are looking forward to trying the Noordam. We actually liked Galcier bay a bit better than Hubbard Glacier and in all honestly I prefer the quaintness of Sitka over Skagway which felt a lot like Ketchikan to me. So Noordam's itinerary seems ideal for us. I personally think you cannot go wrong with either the Oosterdam or the Noordam.:)

Ooooooooooooooh .. I love LIVE reports... thanks Laff :)

The only place that is exclusively for the Deluxe Suite (SA/SB/SC) pax is the Neptune Lounge, and that has no windows. Ergo: bad for viewing! :D

There's plenty of viewing space on the Observation and Sports decks, and along the promenade (deck 3). I believe the areas at the front of decks 5, 6, and 7 are not open while the ship is underway, but open at glaciers. (I haven't been to AK on a Vista!) If it's a particulary cold day the Crow's Nest is great if you get there early enough to get a front window seat.

You can also see quite a lot from the windows along the Lido pool and restaurant while staying out of any wind, but the usually sea-sprayed windows making getting good pictures difficult.

The only place that is exclusively for the Deluxe Suite (SA/SB/SC) pax is the Neptune Lounge, and that has no windows, ergo, bad for viewing! :D

There's plenty of viewing space on the Observation and Sports decks, and along the promenade (deck 3). I believe the areas at the front of decks 5, 6, and 7 are not open while the ship is underway, but open at glaciers. (I haven't been to AK on a Vista!) If it's a particulary cold day the Crow's Nest is great if you get there early enough to get a front window seat.

You can also see quite a lot from the windows next to the Lido pool and still stay out of any wind, but the usually sea-sprayed windows making getting good pictures difficult.

John, you are right up there with Karin, thanks ;) :)

I am to presume that it is absolutely imperative that I have a verandah, yes ? Or, is a large interior feasible for there is nothing to see from my verandah during dark hours AND there is a lovely public viewing area for us poor folk ? :o
W've done Alaska 5x. We had a verandah for #s 3 & 4 (B & S categories respectively). We found that we really didn't use our verandahs very much at all. HAL has tons of open deck areas - at least on the ships we've sailed - I'm not a fan of the Vista Class so I can't speak on them. The viewing areas are why I recommend HAL over Princess for Alaska. HAL and Princess have done Alaska longest and are the tops there IMHO.

SO much of the scenery is ALL around the ship, that we spend our time out and about - often in the Crow's Nest or on the open deck space in the bow. The Crow's Nest can get busier, but it is still enjoyable. We've NEVER been crowded out on deck - there is just way too much viewing area (in multiple locations) for that to happen.

I felt bad that we spent the $ for the huge S verandah and probably only spent 30 minutes (total) out there the entire week. In the B cabin we had the year before, we had fantastic weather, but we're guessing that we only spent about an hour (again total for the week) on that verandah. We were travelling with my 'parental units' both times and my (late) step-mom was very claustrophobic and required a verandah - and us to be near them. What little time we were out on the verandahs was just 'because it's there' - they didn't add any value to our experience.

Our #3 cruise was the last week of August into Labor Day weekend. That was the fantastic weather mentioned earlier. We've also been later in September (#1) with 40 foot waves off of Sitka. :eek: Both times though we had excellent glacier calving. YMMV

Also - the 'dark hours' aren't very long that far north. We've gone to bed at 10pm (still light) and awakend at 4am (again light out). Of course, the closer you sail to the summer solstice the shorter the night is.

W've done Alaska 5x. We had a verandah for #s 3 & 4 (B & S categories respectively). We found that we really didn't use our verandahs very much at all. HAL has tons of open deck areas - at least on the ships we've sailed - I'm not a fan of the Vista Class so I can't speak on them. The viewing areas are why I recommend HAL over Princess for Alaska. HAL and Princess have done Alaska longest and are the tops there IMHO.

SO much of the scenery is ALL around the ship, that we spend our time out and about - often in the Crow's Nest or on the open deck space in the bow. The Crow's Nest can get busier, but it is still enjoyable. We've NEVER been crowded out on deck - there is just way too much viewing area (in multiple locations) for that to happen.

I felt bad that we spent the $ for the huge S verandah and probably only spent 30 minutes (total) out there the entire week. In the B cabin we had the year before, we had fantastic weather, but we're guessing that we only spent about an hour (again total for the week) on that verandah. We were travelling with my 'parental units' both times and my (late) step-mom was very claustrophobic and required a verandah - and us to be near them. What little time we were out on the verandahs was just 'because it's there' - they didn't add any value to our experience.

Our #3 cruise was the last week of August into Labor Day weekend. That was the fantastic weather mentioned earlier. We've also been later in September (#1) with 40 foot waves off of Sitka. :eek: Both times though we had excellent glacier calving. YMMV

Also - the 'dark hours' aren't very long that far north. We've gone to bed at 10pm (still light) and awakend at 4am (again light out). Of course, the closer you sail to the summer solstice the shorter the night is.

Thanks Mary Ellen ... I truly appreciate your input and everyone else's. The discrepancies in opinion merely add to the enjoyment of the challenge. Cinci :)

Archived