cancellation due to illness

riggrnr

:confused: :confused: :confused: Has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise with Princess during the final month before embarkation? How do you go about doing this and how much of a penalty do you get for doing this. Not sure yet if we have to cancel but it is a possibility. Thank for any information. Or can we just reschedule for a later date without being penalized?

:confused: :confused: :confused: Has anyone ever had to cancel a cruise with Princess during the final month before embarkation? How do you go about doing this and how much of a penalty do you get for doing this. Not sure yet if we have to cancel but it is a possibility. Thank for any information. Or can we just reschedule for a later date without being penalized?

There are a lot of things that would factor into this question. Did you purchase trip insurance? If so, the contract that you got with that should have a phone number or website to check out that can answer you questions for your specific circumstance. (Sorry I couldn't be more help, but each circumstance is different and it also depends on WHO is sick, when you are sailing, ect) Your best bet is to go with the provider of your trip insurance for answers.

If you don't have trip insurance, then how many days until you said?

Between 15 and 28 days from departure, if you cancel, you will be charged 75% of cruise fare, only 25% will be refunded. NO, YOU CANNOT RESCHEDULE! That is what cruise insurance is for.

You can find all of this information in your passage contract, or go to Princess.com and click on cruise answer place.

fair winds

Dave

There are a lot of things that would factor into this question. Did you purchase trip insurance? If so, the contract that you got with that should have a phone number or website to check out that can answer you questions for your specific circumstance. (Sorry I couldn't be more help, but each circumstance is different and it also depends on WHO is sick, when you are sailing, ect) Your best bet is to go with the provider of your trip insurance for answers.

If you don't have trip insurance, then how many days until you said?

I'm sorry I should have specified. Yes we have trip insurance and it would be for my In-laws that were going to travel with us. We each have our own biiking. DH and I have not decided if we will still go or not. MIL was hospitalized with pancreatis and the DR. does not know if she will feel better before leaving on 04/22/07.

This is a situation where your Travel Agent will be your best friend. Go in and talk to her and see what the various options are. It is really nice to have a knowledgeable person on your side when things like this happen. I know my DW the MCC spends quite a bit of her time helping her clients out with things like this.

Good Luck!

I would call your insurance company (or agent) and discuss options. From what you have said - you most likely will recieve your money back from the insurance company and can rebook a trip for a later time.

I sure hope your MIL feels better soon!

OHHHH yes... Cancelled a cruise to Alaska 2 days before sailing...husband had a heart attack (fine now!!).TA notified Princess and air carrier. Our insurance was with RBC and we sent all necessary forms (independent of our TA)... physician notes and signed insurance documentation indicating this was not a pre-existing health condition, lab work ,X rays etc...Sent them off to RBC and within 2 mos we were fully reimbursed for the cruise costs and air fare.

Your travel insurance co will want to know if the illness was pre-existing etc. Pancreatitis is a very debilitating illness so with only 3 weeks to go it is a bit iffy whether she will feel up to it. Is she improving?

If she is, the cruise could turn out to be a good way to convalesce...

I think I'd go down to the wire with this one and then if it becomes obvious that she's not going, make your decision whether you will go.

Your travel insurance co will want to know if the illness was pre-existing etc. Pancreatitis is a very debilitating illness so with only 3 weeks to go it is a bit iffy whether she will feel up to it. Is she improving?

If she is, the cruise could turn out to be a good way to convalesce...

I think I'd go down to the wire with this one and then if it becomes obvious that she's not going, make your decision whether you will go.

Thank all of you for your advice. MIL has been home from the hospital for 2 weeks now to the day. She is starting to be able to keep very little on her stomach. I am hoping that she will start to feel better so that she can go on the cruise. I think it would also be good for her recovery. But of course she is being pesamistic(hope i spelt it right. Me on the other hand am an optimistic. I always see the glass half full. lol

Also NO this was not pre-existing. They really did not know what was going on, she was in hospital for 9 days.

DH was in the hospital for 5 days with pancreatitis a month before our Hawaii cruise. He lost 23 pounds and the hospital dietition and doctor put him on a low fat, low-residue diet to get him going again. He went to work but took it easy and stuck with the diet until the cruise. On the cruise, he was very careful in what he ate and didn't feel deprived at all. He was able to rest a lot and go on the excursions we had planned. He felt this was a perfect way to recover from the pancreatitis. He never even thought about cancelling the cruise because his doctors assured him that if he stuck with the diet and took it easy, he wouldn't have a relapse. Granted your situation with your MIL is different but I hope this will help. DH has been fine ever since and that was 1-1/2 years ago.

Archived