cruising pregnant?????

mprucha

My DD will be 12 weeks pregnant when we sail. She's been very queasy for several weeks although it looks like they've finally got it pretty under control. I am a nurse and I'm taking several different types of things on the off chance that she doesn't feel well while sailing. She normally doesn't get motion sick......was a rollercoaster kid, etc etc

Who else has cruised pregnant? Did you notice that although you normally wouldn't have a problem with motion that you did now? Which things worked best for you? Any advice for her?

Who else has cruised pregnant? Did you notice that although you normally wouldn't have a problem with motion that you did now? Which things worked best for you? Any advice for her?

My DD and a friend of ours her age, have both cruised while pregnant. In both cases, DD as :D an advaced prego just made the dead line and the friend 8/10 weeks no problems. It is good to have ginger just in case. I was given it the first time while dealing with hurricans and supprising to me it worked. Now I always carry it instead of the drugs I used before. No problem to use while pg. Hope this helps and congrats:) G-ma!

I took my first cruise when I was five months pregnant.

I did have fun, but I also did lie in bed and cry because I was so miserably sick. At that time, years ago, the only thing that room service would deliver was sandwiches. My husband had the Maitre 'D try to get permission for me to have soup in the room....and they wouldn't let me...which was when I started to cry and really did want to get off that boat. I remember gagging on the dramamine tablet. Oh yeah, there was a hurricane, so things were pretty rough for a while.

But overall it was fun.

Just not that sick, gagging, no soup part.

Good luck.

We just sailed on the Imagination and my DW was also 12 wks prego. She doesnt not normally get sick either, she did get a little qweasy though. She tried the ginger and it didnt work. She really liked the bonine 1 pill a day is all that she needed and her DR. approved or its use. Congratulations GRAND(ma or pa)

I was fourteen weeks pregnant on my last cruise and had been experiencing strong nausea throughout my pregnancy. I couldn't even stand the smell of food let alone the sight or taste of it without feeling like I was about to get sick. I can honestly say that the cruise was the first time in months that I did NOT feel sick at all :) . I put on seabands about 30 minutes before my flight, and they really did the trick. My doctor advised me not to take dramamine or bonine. I also brought some candied ginger with me, but I didn't need it. I had a wonderful cruise, and I'm sure your daughter will too.

I had awful M/s while pregnant and I believe the cure I was given by my ob/gyn, would work for her while on the cruise.

Take a Unisom and B4 vitamin before bed, she will sleep great and the key ingredient in Unisom has been studied for 40 years for m/s and is safer than any prescription drug out there for m/s.

If you Google Unisom and m/s, you will find loads of info.

Thanks for all your replies so far! I have sea bands and ginger already. She is also asking the doctor what he thinks is safest in case she's really sick. I just want her to have a great time and I"d hate it if she felt worse because we took her on the ship. Also thanks for the congratulations! Any more advice on how to help her have a great time would be appreciated!

We had a lovely young lady cruise with us who was late into her first trimester. I was concerned for her. She did really well. I asked her afterwards what she did and the big thing for her was to make sure she had small frequent meals and she also stayed away from eating anything too exotic and she made sure she got plenty of sleep. The last day coming out of Cabo the extra motion did bother her and she stayed in bed most of that day.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the sun and heat had a much stronger effect on me while I was pregnant. I was glad I brought a wide brim hat to keep my face shaded while walking around the ship. I also made sure that there were umbrellas available for rent at the beaches I visited as I could only take the direct sun for about 15 minutes at a time without feeling like I was getting overheated. Keeping cool and well hydrated was a must for me.

I cruised once while I was 9 weeks pregnant and took Compazine with me. I didnt need to use it thankfully, but it is a drug Dr's often prescribe for nausea. I didnt know how my body would handle the motion being pregnant, ( I was alway fine not pregnant) and I also wanted to have something in case I ate something in the ports of call that made me sick. I can say, however, that that cruise was my least favorite cruise...I hope your daughter has a wonderful time (and you too!!)

I was 4 months pregnant when we went on our last cruise. I had really bad morning sickness before we left, but did very well on the ship. I think it helped to be in a different environment and out in the fresh air. The only thing that bothered me was an odd smell near the back of the ship, like the exhaust from all the fried cooking, so I avoided that area as it made me a bit queasy. It was great being away from home and not having to cook, as those smells seem to affect me the most. The motion did not bother me at all. Go in with a positive attitude, that seems to help the most. Mind over matter.

Enjoy your cruise together!

Thanks for all your replies so far! I have sea bands and ginger already. She is also asking the doctor what he thinks is safest in case she's really sick. I just want her to have a great time and I"d hate it if she felt worse because we took her on the ship. Also thanks for the congratulations! Any more advice on how to help her have a great time would be appreciated!

I'm also taking my DD, 19 weeks pregnant. She's prone to sea-sickness and has always worn the patch. I'm hoping everything works out for our trip, too. :)

For my first cruise I was about 5 months preggo and had pretty severe morning sickness. I got Relief Bands which worked really well. (they deliver a little electric impulse to your wrists) The only downfall was that they only worked while you were wearing them -- when I took them off I felt kinda queasy so I took ginger and snacked on ginger snaps I brought along. Oh, and the heat from the cruise made me sweat and that was kinda tingly too :) But they really saved my whole pregnancy, not just the cruise, from being miserable!!

Hey! I just wanted to say that I will be cruising in a couple of weeks (1st cruise ..yeah!!!!) and I will be 21 weeks pregnant when we board.

I have been only sick a few times and I am hoping not to get motion sickness while on board:) I love all the tips and insight! I will be bringing with me the medicine my doc. prescribes and ginger snaps!!

Thanks yall! Happy Sailing!

Tif

Archived