Brooklyn help needed

Our family will be sailing the Crown Princess on August 19, 2007 out of Brooklyn, New York.

We will be flying into JFK the day before our cruise.

We're looking into staying at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Here are our questions:

1) Is the Marriot a decent choice for a family?

2) Approx. how much should we expect to pay in cab fare to the hotel from JFK?

3) How far is Times Square from the Marriot at the Brooklyn Bridge hotel? Do we take a taxi, train or subway? How much for transportation to Times Square?

4) Is public transportation like the subway/, trains self -explainatory to use? Cost?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes the Brooklyn Marriott is very family friendly.

2. You can expect to pay about $50.00 for a cab. I would suggest using a local car service(I use Arecibo 718 7836465) better cars less money and won't complain about going to Brooklyn.

Times square is 4 miles as the crow flies. Take the F or A train north bound(get a map at the token booth-although they don't use tokens)....

You are 15 Minutes by train away from 42 nd street,

Late at night take a cab...the trains run few and far between after 11 pm.. Other than that the Subway is fast and cheap(2 per ride there is an all day pass for 7 and you can get 6 rides for the price of 5 on a $10.00 metro card)..

Arecibo or a cab is about $20.00 to 42nds street and Broadway. Cabs come right by the Marriott and the subway is within a few feet of the Marriott. The 7th avenue express subway is accross the street as well.

What else would you like to know?

Smeyer, you're absolutely wonderful! Thank you for taking the time and answering all my questions!

I do have another...

From the hotel to the cruise port, do we take a taxi, if so how much will this cost?

My DH and I will be traveling with our DS (6 years old). Safety is a MAJOR concern for us.

Is Times Square a good choice for an afternoon early evening visit?

Thanks again. We're trying to figure out how much money a day in NY will cost. Your help is appreciated!

Smeyer, you're absolutely wonderful! Thank you for taking the time and answering all my questions!

I do have another...

From the hotel to the cruise port, do we take a taxi, if so how much will this cost?

My DH and I will be traveling with our DS (6 years old). Safety is a MAJOR concern for us.

Is Times Square a good choice for an afternoon early evening visit?

Thanks again. We're trying to figure out how much money a day in NY will cost. Your help is appreciated!

Get Arecibo to pick you up...it will cost $10.00. A yellow cab will be no problem but they really are clueless about where the cruise terminal is. If you ask at the hotel it will cost you more.

Times Square is fine in the afternoon and the evening. Like everywhere don'twear expensive jewlery and leave you vaulables in the hotel's safe. You can spend very little or you can spend a lot. If you go to the Metropolitanm Museum they suggest whatever you can if you wish give a couple of bucks and get a button and admission. You get eat at Tad's steakhouse for $10.00 or the River cafe for $65.00pp. You can walk down to Smith Street and Eat at Gravy or Patois(abiout the same difference) Gravy is cash only. You can buy a full price ticket for a Boardway show( a premium seat) for $250 or get a tickets from TKTS for $40.00.

You can eat the hotel or go around the corner to White castle...you get the picture.

Get a good guidebook and do some research before hand....IMO....

NY is not generally unsafe but coming back from the Theatre at night I tend to take a cab. Cab drivers have really stopped complaining about coming into this area of Brooklyn....where the Marriott is.

Archived