Ketchikan - Port - How many ships can dock?

cruisingw/mom

Does anyone know how many ships can dock at Ketchikan? I am thinking our ship will have to be tendered since they already have 4 or 5 ships there?

I would also like to know if RCCL uses certain docks in Junea and Skagway?

Maybe their is a website showing the dock and which ships docks here/there etc??

Thanks

Thanks BQ - but now how do I find out what all the letters stand for. For example.

Junuea - Radiance on May 27th it states FKL

Skagway - Radiance on May 28th is states RRF

Ket - Radiance on May 30th it states 1

Thanks Shelly

Thanks BQ - but now how do I find out what all the letters stand for. For example.

Junuea - Radiance on May 27th it states FKL

Skagway - Radiance on May 28th is states RRF

Ket - Radiance on May 30th it states 1

Thanks Shelly

Shelly - scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page of the link that BQ provided and click on "Berth Codes" - that will explain it! (for instance, FKL stands for S. Franklin St. Dock)

Ketchikan is building more dock space. I don't know though when it's supposed to be up and running . Even though there are 4 or 5 ships scheduled as the early arrivals leave the later ones usually then take the empty dock space. Unless that cruise line is too cheap. They they just keep tendering.

Thanks Budget Queen. I didn’t know that site existed. I’ve always used the Northwest Cruise Ship Associations: http://alaska.nwcruiseship.org/port_schedules.cfm

But they haven’t entered their 2007 data yet.

What I find interesting is Whittier and Seward. According to the Northwest Cruise Ship Association, last year, Whittier received 53 ships and Seward 43.

This year, according to Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska, Whittier is getting 87 and Seward 56.

That is one huge increase. I haven’t read anything yet saying Central Alaska is expecting an increase like that, although I have heard that the numbrs are supposed to be up. The National Park Service had a consultant last year that found almost 96% of visitors to Alaska come off of cruise ships. That was up from something like 47% a decade ago. According to the NPS, 44% of those off the ships visit Denali. Of course, that would not include the southeast only sailings.

It might be that these two organizations record data differently but I looked through their numbers and can’t find any discrepancies. It will be interesting to see what the Northwest Cruise data indicates when they finally get it posted for Whittier and Seward.

Okay, I just noticed that Cruise West ships are not included in the Alaska Northwest Cruiseship Association numbers and they are in the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska numbers. So the apparent great increase in traffic probably isn't so great. Why Cruise West isn't partners with Northwest might be an interesting story. Anyway, last year, according to Northwest, Juneau recieved 490 visits, by far and away the most of any Alaskan port. According to Cruise Line Agencies, this year will bring 643 ships to Juneau. However, Cruise West is included in Cruise Line Agencies figures and not last year in Northwest Cruiseship Associations data. Wish these folk could get coordinated.

Ketchikan can dock 3 ships.

Here is docking/tender information for each port. http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html

Thanks BQ - that is some valuable information. We cruise to Alaska May 5th (1st timers) and though the weather won't be the greatest, the ports won't be overrun with ships either (worth the tradeoff I think.)

Thanks again,

Dave

Archived