Help with St Thomas beach wedding!

Toni D

We are getting married in St. Thomas in Oct 2005. I originally thought that we would have Royal Romance set up everything however, when I have called them they have not left me feeling confident that they could pull off the wedding I have in mind. (on the beach) They won't even tell you of the definite location until 2 weeks prior to sailing. That seems awfully risky to me. Also they seem to be a bit pricier than other wedding coordinators on the island. I am soooo confused and could use a little advice. Everybody on this site is so helpful and seems to know alot about cruising, I thought this would be my best bet for honest information. Thanks!!

Toni -

I just emailed you some websites to look at. If you are marrying OFF the ship, you can definitely use local, independent wedding coordinators. There are at least a dozen on St Thomas / St John and there are many places you can marry. From following these boards the past several years (I recently changed my username), I'd say that your frustration is common with Royal Romance. However, many have come back saying despite the many frustrations prior to the wedding, the wedding was great. Too bad we don't have access to the posts on the old boards any more - there were many brides who posted links to their pictures, reviews, etc that don't come here any more. There are pics/review in my signature from using a local independent coordinator, although I think my webpage may be offline today (I've contacted the techies on that). You can also use the Search feature at the top to search "Royal Romance" or other topics. I posted a lengthy reply just below on another thread to someone else with some good posts to look at linked to my reply to her. (Or click on my username and you can see my other posts there easily).

Also remember... Royal Romance is most likely just the "middle man" and the people you are speaking to are not the people that will be at your wedding. Many cruiselines contract out to local coordinators on the islands they work with. I've communicated with the lady who has the ten-year contract for Carnival in addition to her own independent bookings.

I too am getting married through Royal Romance. I have a beach wedding in St Thomas, and I have had nothing but a great experience. My emails have been answered within minutes, not hours or days. When I call the St Thomas coordinator's phone number that was given to me by Royal Romance, I feel like I am the most important client they have. I would recommend them to anyone getting married on an RCCL ship. Suppose the ship had to be diverted at the last minute, or was going to get to the port late, what then? Royal Romance gave me the option of getting married on board the ship in the event of bad weather. My beach wedding can be rescheduled for later in the day if it is raining. Only brides booked with RCCL can have these options. Ask the for your coordinator's phone number and email.

When I call the St Thomas coordinator's phone number that was given to me by Royal Romance, I feel like I am the most important client they have.

That is TERRIFIC they gave you that information! The past several years, it seemed brides could only email RR and wait for them to email/call the local coordinator before getting a reply from RR. Definitely saves time by not having to communicate through the middle man! Do you know yet which beach you will exchange vows on?

The local coordinators are very nice. Most local coordinators will hold off for rain like your's will, and thankfully, unless a front has moved in, any liquid sunshine that comes through the area is normally diminished quickly! :) The best thing though is what you mentioned - the availability for rebooking on the ship at the last minute if necessary - available really only when you book through your cruiseline's wedding coordinator group (assuming you made it to port got sworn in with the St Thomas court - which has to be done prior to the ceremony). That one post I made is the only one on CruiseCritic I've ever read of - having a bride's wedding ruined by the ship not making it to port. Thankfully the STT courthouse is in the middle of downtown and close to the ships - so to fulfill the legal part of your marriage license, if it is raining, you're not going that far. Of course, if you are diverted and completely miss St Thomas, you can't make it to the courthouse to be sworn in and would have to go through another port of call for the marriage license to be legally married.

Since I didn't end up booking through a cruiseline, out of curiousity, if you are diverted, reckon you get your money back from the St Thomas courthouse for the marriage application since it won't work for other ports of call? I know each port has their own laws and residency requirements. (which might be why Samantha couldn't marry in Freeport Bahamas on her ship's diversion since they have a 24-hour residency requirement in their laws - but she could marry in Miami at the end of her cruise since it does not have a residency requirement).

The best thing about marrying in the USVI though is the great weather, calm seas, and active cruise port. :) Unless something weird happened (hurricane, mechanical problems, etc) you can pretty much count on making it to St Thomas just fine!

Thanks Mandy for the info. You have alot of good knowledge. I am getting married at Bolongo beach. I have a friend who attended an RCCL wedding therelast spring and she said it is just beautiful and very private. She also said from the perspective of a wedding guest, the St Thomas coordinators were very professional and the day was great for all the attendees. Everyone was welcomed to the Caribbean, and treated like a very special participant. I don't know about getting my money back for my marriage license, and I hope that's not necessary. I only know that I am very happy I went with Royal Romance, and I have total confidence in my St Thomas coordinators.

Rachel

Good thing, Rachel! It will definitely turn out beautiful! I have not been to Bolongo but have read good things about it. Being a non-touristy beach certainly does help with the privacy! (Which is why we chose our beach as well) I don't think I have ever read of St Thomas getting skipped as a port (like Grand Cayman does because of the tendering involved). It really is a "safe bet" to get married in the USVI. If you ever have the urge to take a land vacation in the USVI, it is well worth it. We vacationed on St Croix in 2001 and St John in 2003. It was good in St John because of the close proximity of the islands (inlcuding the BVI) as well as the good ferry system. You and future hubby could return for an anniversary! :)

I'm guessing a marriage application fee would be non refundable by a court - but in the big scheme of things, that price is nothing compared to all the other costs. After you get your license in the mail (about two weeks after the wedding), if you are planning to change your name, go to the Social Security office first and then the driver's license office. A girl in line with me at the driver's license office was told she had to go to the other place first, so I just got lukcy in the order I did mine! (might just be a Texas thing though, but the DL place wouldn't change her name until she had social security verification of her name change)

I still think that is great though that you can communicate directly with the wedding coordinator who will be at your wedding! Great move for RR for doing that now!!

Archived