Dialysis?

Kudos2Fly

My mother just started the night dialysis on the machine. She has been doing the 4 times aday at home since Feb. She will be going on a cruise for my parents 40th anniversary.

My question is what do most people do when they are on dialysis and take cruises. Do they do the machine at night or do the 4 times aday while on the cruise.

I haven't seen her machine yet, but is it easy to take with you on the cruise? Also if you do your dialysis 4 times aday does it take away from the fun of the cruise?

Kim

if you are talking about hemo dialysis, then I can tell you that none of the cruise lines have approved the portable "self-dialysis machine". Peritoneal dialysis is another issue entirely.

Most people on hemo dialysis take special dialysis cruises where a company provides all of the dialysis equipment. These are on regular cruise lines but only a few dates a year. Alternatively, you might look into getting land-based dialysis for her, but if she is on a dialy dialysis schedule, then this is probably not going to be possible.

Candy

If your mother is on Peritoneal Dialysis it is possible to cruise this way. If she is on Hemodialysis and doing it nightly, then you need to really rethink the cruise as she should be too ill to cruise. Hemodialysis is usually done 2 - 4 times a week depending on the degree of kidney failure and your body's needs............

You will be responsible for all her PD supplies (dialysate bags, etc.) to be delivered to the ship.

Thanks for the answers. I called Carnival and ask about getting her machine and supplies on board. It wont be a problem. She just has to let them know in writing about her dialysis machine and supplies. They do want her to carry them on but they will help. The machine and supplies will not be check like the luggage. She is on Peritoneal Dialysis. Thats the answer I got from Carnival.

So I'm think many other people have done this before with out problems. At least I hope so..

Kim

I am on peritoneal dialysis and cruise often. All of my dialysite is delivered to the ship and is always in my stateroom when I board. Your mom's company will do the same thing. I am also on the machine at night but was advised by my medical company which is Fresinius that the machine would not work on the ship because when the ship rocks the alarm will go off on the machine itself.. So the alternative is to do the 4 bags per day. You can work them around your schedule. I do one as soon as i wake up. We then have breakfast and go shopping at a port for about 3 hours. I come back and do my second bag after lunch. You then have the rest of the afternoon to do things.. Then I do one right before we go to dinner and I do my last bag at bedtime. It is very doable.. Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Archived