We like it SPICY!

Javadelcamp

Now that I have your attention, we are considering a cruise with NCL and food is (of course) a big consideration. Ours is a famio]ly that likes food that is spicy, and we certainly wouldn't shy away from hot and spicy!

We found the food on Princess to be BORING, with RCCL and Carnival being more interesting (both ingredients and imaginative dishes). How do you think that NCL stacks up?

With 10 different restaurants (on most ships) to choose from - I imagine you would be able to find something to your taste. I can understand why most cruise fare is not highly spiced - not everyone can tolerate/or like highly spiced foods so they tend to be more middle of the road.

I've never had a problem getting horseradish for my prime rib, hot sauce for other dishes, etc. If the food is bland, ask the server for the condiments to spice it up - they'll be glad to bring you what you ask for.

Now that I have your attention, we are considering a cruise with NCL and food is (of course) a big consideration. Ours is a famio]ly that likes food that is spicy, and we certainly wouldn't shy away from hot and spicy!

We found the food on Princess to be BORING, with RCCL and Carnival being more interesting (both ingredients and imaginative dishes). How do you think that NCL stacks up?

I learned that from our last cruise with the NCL Dream, we need to bring our own hot sauce. It was so hard to ask for one, the waitress and waiters were always to busy to fine one or they could not find one at all. My husband loves hot (spicy) food, we ended up buying one of our own at the port. We are bringing our own hot sauce on our next trip with Pride of Aloha.

Just ask for it to be spicy and you will get your wish- but be careful! A year ago I asked for something to be "really spicy- REALLY" at Shogun on the Spirit, and there was no way I could eat it. I thought I could eat anything spicy- I think I am addicted to capsaicin and used to have the GERD to prove it. We were the last people in before the restaurant closed and I think the chef may have been trying to send me a message, such as "I'm tired." I must have said "really really REALLY" about ten times. Well, there were about 100 peppers on the plate, and the noodles were so dry you could barely eat them- dry with peppery spices. I ate maybe three bites and almost keeled over. I thought about sending it back but they were breaking down tables and closing up and besides- I got what I asked for.

Moral of the story: ask for spicy. Period! I have asked for certain things to be spicy in the main dining rooms and got my wish.

I have found them all spiced about the same. My dh likes things spicy and on our last NCL trip (a year ago), he just asked for certain items to be spicy, or hot, or extra sauce (prettty much any special thing he wanted) and each time he got it. They were wonderful about meeting his requests.

If you are a chilihead bring some of your own. But the Asian staff should know what to do if you want the real thing. And I love buying new hot sauces in the ports--go to a local grocery store. Mo hotta mo betta!

I don't think you will find much difference in the spicy taste regardless of lines; HAL though we basically loved the food, used the least spices and NCL probably the most with Celebrity inbetween. We didn't find Carnival food to be very flavorful at all. On RCI one cruise we had a gal at our table insist on the waiter bringing her tabasco sause every night cause she felt the food was tasteless without it. That was about 6 years I may add. Here is a story that I have always found interesting and shows how subjective food really is: on our Jewel cruise we kept getting this one lady at our table both breakfast and lunch. She didn't like the food on NCL because it was way to spicey. She didn't like the amount of pepper, garlic and sauses they used. Her favorite line for food: HAL. I might add she had been on 88 cruises or so she said: I had my doubts. At the same time and same cruise we ran into a couple we liked eating with; they complained because they preferred more sauses. You will have to judge for yourself I am afraid. NMnita

I have asked many times for my food to be spicy and it has never been a problem. They are also very willing to bring hot sauce and peppers if you want.:) Some of the ships I have been on also have several types of hot sauce to choose from.

Just ask for it to be spicy and you will get your wish- but be careful! I must have said "really really REALLY" about ten times. Well, there were about 100 peppers on the plate, and the noodles were so dry you could barely eat them- dry with peppery spices. I ate maybe three bites and almost keeled over. I thought about sending it back but they were breaking down tables and closing up and besides- I got what I asked for.

Oh, Carla, this just had me rolling! I wish you had taken a picture of your plate!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much to all of you. I will be sure to ask for spicy (minus the ten "really"s). Great idea to buy local hot sauce in the ports, too! I may just sneak a jar of Penzeys' Red & Black onboard, along with my Sriracha sauce! :-)

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Archived