Zuiderdam 3/24-3/31 Review

olechka

It looks like my review is the first one on the boards. We absolutely loved the ship and HAL overall. We cruised on NCL, Princess and Celebrity before and our experience was very equivalent to Celebrity and better in some aspects. Our party was myself and DH (25 and 26), mother in law and step father in law (50 and 59) and grandmother (70).

Summary

We absolutely loved the service both room steward and all of the dining room staff. The Indonesian crew is amazing, they make you feel part of the family. Rooms were great. Entertainment was on the week side, but it didn't bother us at all. There were so many nice touches to the ship, including the pictures and statues was great. Complimentary fruit delivered to the room, towel animals every night, vista dining room managers, all were great. The weather was terrible the first 3 days but that didn't put a damper on our experience. We really enjoyed our experience and will definitely cruise HAL again.

Embarkation

We arrived at 10:30 AM and were 10th in line, we were let into the embarkation area by 11:30 and were eating lunch in the Lido by 12, awesome, quick, professional experience, no issues.

Room

We were upsold to VA8019 (balcony room), the room was huge, can't be compared to other cruise lines, tons of storage, comfy bed, huge bathroom, we couldn't be happier with it.

Room Steward

He was great, we never saw him, room was always made up, fresh fruit in our room and those towel animals were so great.

Food

The highlight of the cruise was the food, I think all we did was eat. Lido buffet was great for breakfast and lunch, so many selection from salads, deli, pizza, and other food, we were never hungry. Vista dining room experience was great, we looked forward to dinner every night. Our waiters Dewi and Fandy (fine and dandy) were awesome, they remembered our names after the first night, went above and beyond our desires. For example, we really loved the cold soups (blueberry and raspberry), they made it for us on a day they were not offered. One of the managers even brought us recepies. The dishes themselves were great, I can't rave about the main dishes some were hits, some were misses but overall we were happy every night. Those deserts were absolutely amazing.

Ports

Grand Turk:

I did the helmet dive. It was a cool experience but we didn't see much, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Husband did scubadiving, he said it was amazing, best one he's ever done.

Tortola

It was raining most of the day so we didn't end up going to the Baths (i was really bummed) but we did one of the $20 island tours we picked up at the pier, it was ok, views from the top were gorgeous.

St. Thomas

We finally saw some sun, did some shopping. We went on the sail excursion but with our luck there was no wind at all, so it wasn't quiet the sailing experience but it was fine.

Half Moon Cay

Oh my god, a piece of paradise, it was so beautiful. Only regret not renting a shell, we were frying in the sun after a while.

Disembarkation

The best experience out of all the cruises, we were last group to be called, it was so incredibly organized, it look no more than 20 minutes to go through the entire process, we were so impressed.

Deck for the Cure

I did the walk/run, what a great idea. The only disappointment was that it wasn't very organized and jogging was pretty impossible because of the walkers, there were no rules to somehow prevent joggers from running and bumping the walkers but I got my excercise for the day anyway.

Spa

MIL and I got swedeish massages, it was very nice.

I'm sure I missed a ton of things so ask me anything I didn't mention.

Olga

I am glad to see you guys had a nice trip. We were on the "Z" the week of the 17th. I am curous about this weather deal. Our weather was pretty bad all week. We did however make Virgin Gorda/Baths. That was one of my highlights. I have talked to several friends who were also on cruises over the past two week, mainly Carribean, and they mentioned how rough the seas were. During our week, they were rough for six days.

Even though I am new to HAL, I am finding out how people have a particular ship that they just love. I can understand this. I also realize that there are "nicer/newer" ships other than the Z. She will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart because of the first time on HAL. One thing I noticed in St. Thomas that I have not asked others about is, the Westerdam was docked next to us. That afternnoon when all began boarding, the Z had a nice tent up that said Zuiderdam. There was also someone handing-out cool rags as we entered. The Westerdam didn't have this. So, I guess my point is, I just felt my week on the Z was special. Maybe because she was the first Vista and the oldest, maybe the crew takes a little more pride? I don't know!

Sorry you missed The Baths. Glad your week went well!

thanks for the review! we board the Z this Saturday...our second time on her. I think the one thing that most distinguishes HAL from other lines is the crew. Food is so subjective...but good, friendly service...everyone can recognize!

Archived